WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Most commonly faked wines.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most commonly faked wines.
 Login/Join 
posted
Brief article about the most commonly faked wines.

Anyone have any of these in their cellar:

quote:
1947 Château Cheval Blanc
“I believe that Serena Sutcliffe, the wine director of Sotheby’s, once said there are more bottles of ’47 Cheval Blanc in the market than were ever produced,” Goldstein remarks of this famous wine from St-Émilion.

1811 Château d’Yquem
This legendary Sauternes “wasn’t in the market until the 1970s. In fact, the 1811 was nonexistent until Rodenstock ‘rediscovered’ it,” says Goldstein.

1924 Château Mouton Rothschild
This was the first year that Mouton estate-bottled its wines; any supposedly estate-bottled wines from before this vintage are undeniably fake, says Goldstein.

1921 Château Pétrus
Pétrus (especially in a magnum) is a favorite of fraudsters. Goldstein has seen all kinds of fake Pétrus, including bottles with capsules the wrong color and labels made from artificially aged paper.

1952 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche
“We’re seeing more and more fake DRCs,” Goldstein says of this great grand cru domaine. It’s “the favorite Burgundy property” for counterfeiters, he says.

VM

Posts: 12289 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure all of mine are real.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2375 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chateau Vino Me "The Last Curse" didn't make the list? Smile

Posts: 5471 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Chateau Vino Me "The Last Curse" didn't make the list?

Nobody would want to fake it.

VM

Posts: 12289 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yellowtail Reserve didn't make the list?

aav must be breathing a sigh of relief Razz

Posts: 1906 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about Schild?

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:

quote:
“I believe that Serena Sutcliffe, the wine director of Sotheby’s, once said there are more bottles of ’47 Cheval Blanc in the market than were ever produced,” Goldstein remarks of this famous wine from St-Émilion.

1811 Château d’Yquem
This legendary Sauternes “wasn’t in the market until the 1970s. In fact, the 1811 was nonexistent until Rodenstock ‘rediscovered’ it,” says Goldstein.

This was the first year that Mouton estate-bottled its wines; any supposedly estate-bottled wines from before this vintage are undeniably fake, says Goldstein.

1921 Château Pétrus
Pétrus (especially in a magnum) is a favorite of fraudsters. Goldstein has seen all kinds of fake Pétrus, including bottles with capsules the wrong color and labels made from artificially aged paper.

“We’re seeing more and more fake DRCs,” Goldstein says of this great grand cru domaine. It’s “the favorite Burgundy property” for counterfeiters, he says.

VM

This is interesting....I had the 1811 Yquem last year and was quite skeptical of its authenticity....provenance was as good as you can get with a bottle of this age but I still had questions

Posts: 1137 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
quote:

quote:

1811 Château d’Yquem

1921 Château Pétrus

VM

This is interesting....I had the 1811 Yquem last year and was quite skeptical of its authenticity....provenance was as good as you can get with a bottle of this age but I still had questions

quite skeptical of the bottle it was stored in too ;-)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12140 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
quote:

quote:

1811 Château d’Yquem

1921 Château Pétrus

VM

quite skeptical of the bottle it was stored in too ;-)

Big Grin .....fair enough Jeff
like I said.....broadbent
But that still does not answer my questions either.

Posts: 1137 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those may be the most commonly faked wines in the cellars of collectors like Bill Koch, but there aren't that many collectors of that caliber. I bet that there are other wines that are much less rare than this group which are more commonly, and probably more easily faked. Wines that go for enough $$ to be worth counterfeiting that aren't quite as high profile as this group.

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Dec 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a 4 year old article, pre-dating the Rudy K revelations...

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Dec 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am surprised that 1982 Lafite is not on the list

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5003 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a high profile restaurant in Houston that has the 1811 d'Yquem on their list.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post