WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2001 Penfolds St. Henri Shiraz for $24 - why so cheap?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2001 Penfolds St. Henri Shiraz for $24 - why so cheap?
 Login/Join 
posted
I just saw the 2001 St. Henri for $24. Normally it's $30 or more. Any idea why it's so cheap?

http://scmwine.info

Posts: 7218 | Location: Santa Clara Valley AVA | Registered: Jul 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's an outstanding wine for such a small amount. Why don't you pick up a couple of cases for me and maybe I'll be able to tell you why after I drink a few bottles. Seriously, who is selling St. Henri for 24 bucks?

Posts: 2249 | Location: o-HIGH-o | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may be a mistake? I purchased a 2002 Seghesio cortinia at a grocery store for $18 because of an incorrect display. Buy now, ask questions later.

Posts: 1478 | Location: Lincoln NE | Registered: Jul 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's no mistake. The free Wine-searcher shows 3 retailers under $26; the pro version may show more but I'm currently lapsed.

Posts: 7218 | Location: Santa Clara Valley AVA | Registered: Jul 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Average wine (RMP 89) with the ‘02 out and the ‘03 on the way, it’s time to unload?

Actually, a RMP 89 for an Aussie is like an 86-87 anywhere else.

Posts: 5253 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jun 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDrazi:
Average wine (RMP 89) with the ‘02 out and the ‘03 on the way, it’s time to unload?

Funny, but an RP 89 on an Aussie wine indicates that it might actually be in a style that I'd could like! Like the St. Henri, for instance. Haven't had the 2001, but I like this style.

PH

Posts: 15304 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Funny, but an RP 89 on an Aussie wine indicates that it might actually be in a style that I'd could like!

I was thinking the same thing, but I see that Steiman rated it 86, so it is obviously sub-par for this label. There is lots of it on the shelves up here at CDN$50. Pass and wait for the '02.

Posts: 10190 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve Tanzer's International Wine Cellar: 91 points.

But who cares what a critic says? If you like it, you like it!!

Posts: 2249 | Location: o-HIGH-o | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tanzer is typically a "hard" scorer. I'm intrigued a little now. Has anyone here tasted this?

PH

Posts: 15304 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alta Skier:
Steve Tanzer's International Wine Cellar: 91 points.

But who cares what a critic says? If you like it, you like it!!

That's great if you can taste it before buying, which is not often the case up here. So, faced with 89 and 86 ratings from WA and WS respectively for a $50 bottle, I would pass. Now if they suddenly slashed that price by half, I probably would take a chance on it to see for myself.

Posts: 10190 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couple of reasons.

1) The wine is made in a very old fashioned nostalgic style. It does not have the leap out of the glass up front brashness that many people associate with Australian wine.

2) For people unfamiliar with the wine they would not recognise it as a long term ager. The '01 will easily be a 20 year wine, but because it lacks oak many people will misunderestimate it.

3) It's a wine that doesn't show very well as a young wine and generally the St Henri needs 10 years of age to start showing its best.

4) Because of reasons 1, 2 + 3 American critics will underscore this wine. The St Henri is one of those Aussie wines that ozcritics will score 2-5 points higher than American critics due to a longer association with the wine.

5) The 2002 has just been released and the '02 is an absolute classic, a genuine 30 year wine.

It was my Uncle George who discovered that alcohol was a food well in advance of modern medical thought. - P. G. Wodehouse

Posts: 3461 | Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pauly, how would you compare the '02 to the '99?

Posts: 1049 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pauly:
Couple of reasons.

All of which were valid in the past when the wine was $30+. But no matter. Rewards of Patience seems to reckon it's on par with the 98 for ageability.

Personally, so far I've only tried the 98 and 99. I thought the 99 showed much better (fruitier) initially than the 98 but I wouldn't call it one for the cellar. I need to pop the one I bought soon to decide whether to buy more.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarV100:
Pauly, how would you compare the '02 to the '99?

I'd say the'02 is on par with the '86. IMO much better than the '99 or '01.

It was my Uncle George who discovered that alcohol was a food well in advance of modern medical thought. - P. G. Wodehouse

Posts: 3461 | Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Interesting quote. Have you tried it? I have and it's well worth the money, and more. I bought 6 at $22.99. BTW I just came back from vacation where some 96 pointers were drank and quess what? This St Henri is head and shoulders above one well praised in particular (PAX).

www.budbreak.blogspot.com
www.clonyc.com

Posts: 849 | Registered: Jan 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pauly:
5) The 2002 has just been released and the '02 is an absolute classic, a genuine 30 year wine.

And this my friends is the sole reason it's available so inexpensively.

www.clonyc.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:
Interesting quote. Have you tried it? I have and it's well worth the money, and more. I bought 6 at $22.99. BTW I just came back from vacation where some 96 pointers were drank and quess what? This St Henri is head and shoulders above one well praised in particular (PAX).

Mike,
I didn’t make a personal evaluation of this wine - note the question mark. I made observations and speculations as to why the price had dropped and nearly every post that has followed confirms that - including yours. RMP’s scores have a huge impact on the sales of Aussie Shriaz. If you think this wine is better than a 96 point Pax, then back up the truck. I’ve had the St Henri before and if I’m going to chose between the ‘01 at $23 and the ‘02 at $35, then I, like most other wine drinkers, are going to be buying the ‘02 - hence the reduced price.

Posts: 5253 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jun 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:

Mike,
I didn’t make a personal evaluation of this wine - note the question mark. I made observations and speculations as to why the price had dropped and nearly every post that has followed confirms that - including yours. RMP’s scores have a huge impact on the sales of Aussie Shriaz. If you think this wine is better than a 96 point Pax, then back up the truck. I’ve had the St Henri before and if I’m going to chose between the ‘01 at $23 and the ‘02 at $35, then I, like most other wine drinkers, are going to be buying the ‘02 - hence the reduced price.

Sorry, my post reads different than the thoughts in my head were. I was only alluding to the fact of the points. Even at my ripe old age of 45 I still learn something every day. My palate is not intuned with RP, and that's a good thing if the PAX is an indication of anything. I think a 89 point wine appreciation is a positive. More for me. Maybe not being a point chaser has its advantages. I need to try the '02 St Henri soon.

www.clonyc.com

posted Hide Post
Stood one up yesterday just in case along with a 2000 Balmoral Syrah. Wine searcher has the St. Henri for an average of $103 now. 24 bucks is about what I paid for some in 2007. Looking like a good buy at the moment!

Posts: 2299 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
St. Henri pricing has been crazy up and down over the past few years. I'm not sure why. Spectator did a feature article on it a few years back, which may have had something to do with it. I also wonder if Penfolds was playing with the cuvee, trying to cut yields or be more selective in the blending for a vintage or two, thus producing a smaller cuvee at a higher price, but then ultimately nixing the idea.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3176 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No..they've just raised their prices on everything across the board...They have a relatively good following in China...What was a reasonably good deal with Penfolds now is not..

They do make competent wine though...and the St. Henri is great..but just overpriced at this point...

Posts: 79 | Registered: Apr 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post