WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Pinot Noir's under $25
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pinot Noir's under $25
 Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have any go to pinots for everyday drinking in this price range or lower?

Posts: 101 | Location: St John, IN | Registered: Oct 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Melville
Siduri
Argyle

Posts: 283 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Aug 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A to Z and Ponzi's Tavola bottling, both from Oregon. The excellent 2010 Ponzi should be fairly easy to find. In the new edition of WS they gave 91 to Elk Cove. They are calling it a $29 wine but I'm guessing you will be able to find it for a few dollars less.

I think the "Tous Ensemble" bottling from Copain in CA might be at your price point, and I think that's a very nice Pinot.

Posts: 5572 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At this lower price point my pinot preference tends towards Cali over Burgundy, as I feel you have to spend more to drink decent burg.
My favorites:
Calera (especially their 35th anniversary bottling)
Morgan (Twelve Clones bottling is at this price point)
Melville (more of a Burgundy style than Cali)
Greywacke (New Zealand)

Posts: 149 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: Jul 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Hoos -

quote:
Pinot Noir's under $25

I.U. Bloomington? Stop by Ballantine Hall:

A local place

Big Grin

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2682 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 2010 Lange (Oregon) for $25 is really good. I'd agree with the Calera (CA) 35th Anniversary bottling recommendation ($24ish). I was recently impressed with the 2011 Belle Glos Meiomi (CA), which I found for $18. It is by the same family that makes Caymus and has their signature vanilla note.

I'd generally recommend Siduri as they are consistently good. Loring too for that matter, but it is usually a full-throttle CA style.

Happy Hunting!

Posts: 134 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For $22 at our local LCBO, the Two Paddocks "Picnic" (owner Sam Neill) makes a fabulour pinot noir. Great QPR. It's from Otago, New Zealand. Well worth the price and a favourite of Mrs. DP.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5866 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brooks
Brooks Janus
Evesham Wood (drinks well above its pricepoint)
Gothic Nevermore
Laetitia
Westrey
Cooper Mountain Cooper Hill
Hahn SLH and/or Central Coast

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2965 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Erath...Oregon

I'm sorry, the winery says that's an allocated item!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Nanuet, Rockland County, New York.... just north of NYC | Registered: Feb 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gerard Raphet chambolle Musigny comes in under sometimes.
Lignier michelot chambolle Musigny is a bit above but worth it.

Posts: 1739 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with GoBlue. I haven't had a better bottle of pinot for 20$ than the Calera Central Coast. I also like Siduri for the price as well.

Posts: 240 | Location: San Diego | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm; cheapest I have seen Siduri Sonoma Coast in my market is $28. Agree with Argyle, Calera, Morgan. I have been disappointed with the 2009 Lange's and the Eraths of 2009 and 2010.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1694 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another one you might try if you find it is the Benton Lane WV Pinot. It's usually around $20 and a few vintages have been really good values at that price point. I don't see it/try it year-in and year-out though, so can't speak personally to the consistency of it.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3510 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
eieio from oregon makes a entry level pinot that's pretty good at 22$

surprised hippomon hasn't chimed in as he gave me some killer stuff!

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12539 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Calera
Au Bon Climat
Morgan
Babcock
Siduri
Sarapo

and actually, the 2010 Trader Joe's Reserve Pinot Noir Russian River Valley isn't too bad, i have a friend that works there and opened it up, honestly one of the best sub $15 CA Pinot's i've had

Posts: 4224 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Calera. And, the glass cork is pretty cool.

I have come across some Belle Glos C&T Vineyards < $30 that would probably fit the bill. The average price seems to be more like $40, however.

I like this guy's site and his reviews:

http://pardonthatvine.com/merl...w-469-a-value-pinot/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shane T.,

Posts: 1648 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are my favorites under $25
Hob Nob Pinot Noir - France
Mark West - California
Block Nine - California
Erath - Oregon
Bearboat - California

Posts: 10 | Location: New Milford, CT | Registered: Nov 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benton Lane Willamette Valley is a good one under $25.

Posts: 9515 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
R. Stuart Big Fire Pinot from Oregon.

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5066 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Papillon

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6892 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know Rivers-Marie is about 25 bucks and they're delish...

Posts: 891 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Navarro Mendocino, the 2009 if you can find it.

Acacia Carneros used to be a bargain PN, but I haven't had it for awhile.

------
Oh no, another wine blog! wineinsonoma.blogspot.com

Posts: 687 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA | Registered: Oct 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob H:
Navarro Mendocino, the 2009 if you can find it.
I have to second this recommendation as we just had it a couple of weeks ago at passionfish in pacific grove.

Posts: 891 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
eieio from oregon makes a entry level pinot that's pretty good at 22$

surprised hippomon hasn't chimed in as he gave me some killer stuff!

$25 was for 375 not 750 Smile

Posts: 723 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently drinking the 2010 Elk Cove PN from Willamette Valey, OR. It was about $23 at Binny's. I'll post a TN.

Posts: 5572 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post