WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Harlan Estate and Screaming Eagle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harlan Estate and Screaming Eagle
 Login/Join 
posted
I saw a thread not to long ago asking about the price of the current Harlan release. In the new Cali wine advocate it says Harlan will be going to 750 a bottle and Screaming Eagle to 850. Its a 13 percent raise for SE and a 50 percent increase for Harlan...The Harlan is a real surprise to me. I dont know anyone who was paying 500 for it let alone the new 750. Most vinatges can be had for 475 and under.

Posts: 1645 | Location: New York | Registered: Apr 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tasted twice at Harlan this summer (2013) and it is all going to Asia. They are confident that everything will sell, even with escalated prices.

Everything = Harlan, Bond and Maiden.

Posts: 228 | Registered: Jun 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are probably correct.

Posts: 6433 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bates40:
I tasted twice at Harlan this summer (2013) and it is all going to Asia. They are confident that everything will sell, even with escalated prices.

Bates,

Did they say the prices were going up when you were there? I visited early summer and they didn't say one way or the other, nor did I think to ask.

Jim
That's, RedLoverJim to you

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess we can't blame them if they can command those prices elsewhere. However, as the OP mentioned, our secondary market will determine their actual worth.

Posts: 1419 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they have always been of the opinion that they would charge what the market would bear

Harlan very actively monitors and logs sales of their wine at auction and secondary markets, the marketing/ financial segments of their operation is very well organized

Posts: 228 | Registered: Jun 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they are getting these prices then how come there is no waiting to get on the mailing list?? If they are really selling out then you would not be able to sign up and buy wine right away.

Posts: 1645 | Location: New York | Registered: Apr 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TERPS:
If they are getting these prices then how come there is no waiting to get on the mailing list?? If they are really selling out then you would not be able to sign up and buy wine right away.

I agree. As a matter of fact, I received a cute little post-card from Harlan yesterday with some sort of motivational statement on it. I haven't purchased anything from them in (2) years. Why would they waste the postage if they were selling out?

I pose the question that if Harlan does in fact raise their bottle price by $250, is that in hopes of recouping lost revenue domestically with sales to Asia?

Posts: 1419 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They offered their wines in the their traditional fashion two years ahead of release (futures) at the pre-release price of $500. They stated that the wine prices would go up at the time of release. So I do not think mailing list folks have been affected by a change in price, yet.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post