WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What BEER are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... 162
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What BEER are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
I think we have the makings of a solid prisoner-exchange program: New Glarus for Pliny. heard great things - have never had the opportunity to try their beers...

Pliny's not exactly readily available in my neck of the woods, either! I'll occasionally see it at some higher end grocery stores (like Whole Foods), and there's a couple places that have it on tap.

But, absolutely...I'm up for a (1) for (1) swap!

What is it about Pliny the Elder? Never had it, but recently there was a local beer/wine shop that was sponsoring a lottery-type drawing for the opportunity to purchase a bottle. Confused

I think it would be easy to make an argument for Pliny the Elder (and Younger) being the best expressions of IPA's in America, and possibly the world. The beer is impeccably balanced, even with the massive amount of hops & grain necessary for a Double Imperial IPA. If you get a chance to try one, don't pass it up.

In case you don't win that "beer lottery," I could suggest a few that come close to Pliny:

- Dogfish Head "90 Minute IPA"
- Stone Brewery "Lucky Bastard" (just got re-released)

- Ballast Point "Sculpin"

* I also hear good things about the "Three Floyds" brewery, but I haven't tried anything from them.

Posts: 1491 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had Pliny the Elder and, while it's certainly good, I don't understand the insane lust people have for it. Pliny the Younger...well, never been lucky (or willing) enough to try and try some. There are a heck of a lot of VERY good IPAs that compete with or, in my opinion, to ol' Pliny. Of course, that's just my $.02. Cool

Cheers!

Posts: 2884 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fulton Lonely Blonde Ale.

Posts: 9410 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
while it's certainly good, I don't understand the insane lust people have for it.

Yep...kind of like a lot of people don't understand our "insane lust" for the wine that we buy, drink, & review. That's just my 2 Cents

Posts: 1491 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shane and BRR, I don't like IPA that much but I do like Pliny. Agree with the Dogfish 90 being another IPA in that league but somehow don't dig the Sculpin. I think Avery Maharaja may be my favorite IPA though.

BRR, name an IPA you have in mind that competes with Pliny.

Posts: 8679 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now, I'm drinking a Diamond Knot Ho!Ho! Winter Ale. This is brewed about 2 miles from my house, in a small town on Puget Sound, called Mukilteo.
Dark and malty, but very crisp. Coffee notes along with dark roasted grain, and just a sweet upnote at the end.

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6777 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mikkeller Black Hole

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2946 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At Ballast Point Friday:
Piper Down Scottish Ale
Black Marlin Porter (burbon barrel aged version)
Nitro Copper Ale
Sculpin IPA

It's a bitch having a good brewery in your neighborhood! Cool

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2891 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night at a Winter Beer tasting. All beers tasted double blind on a 10 point scale. Roughly 12 or a little over participated and scored the beers.

Beer - Average - Std Dev
Anderson Valley Winter Solstice 7.14 1.5
Mikkeler Santas Little Helper 2012 7.1 1.6
Breckenridge Autumn 6.99 1.2
Boulevard Nut Cracker Ale 6.92 1.7
Rahrs Winter Warmer 6.6 1.4
St Arnold Sailing Santa 6.38 1.5
Sierra Nevada Celebration 6.33 1.2
Big Sky Powder Hound 6.32 1.7
Stone Enjoy By 12/12/12 IPA 6.31 2.7
St Arnold Christmas Ale 6.28 2
Summit Winter Ale 6.28 1.5
St Bernardus 6.21 2.4
Nice Chouffe 6.14 1.7
Shiner Cheer 6.13 1.5
Harpoon 2012 6.11 1.1
Choc Beer Winter Stout 6.1 0.9
Sam Adams Winter Lager 6.09 1.8
Pyramid Snow Cap 6.09 2
Scaldis Noel 6.08 2
Avery Old Jubelation 6.08 1.5
Full Sail Wreck the Halls 6.04 1.3
Deschutes Jubelale 6.03 1.6
Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale 6.03 2.1
Brooklyn Winter Ale 5.96 1.4
Magic Hat Heart of Darkness 5.91 1.9
Gouden Carolus Noel 5.89 2.1
Kerstmutske Christmas Nightcap 5.88 1.6
He Brew Jewbulation 5.84 2.6
Sam Adams White Christmas 5.83 2
Reindeer's Revolt 5.83 1.5
Red Hook Winter Hook 5.8 1.4
Wasatch 5.67 2
Delirium Noel 5.61 1.2
Homebrew 5.6 1.7
Anchor Christmas 2011 5.59 1.9
Full Sail Wassail 5.59 1.5
Alaskan Winter Ale 5.55 1.5
Breckenridge Christmas Ale 5.45 1.3
Tommy Knocker Cocoa Porter 5.44 1.2
Anchor Christmas 2012 5.39 2.1
Rogue Santas Private Reserve 5.33 1.6
Bridgeport Ebenezer Ale 5.22 1.7
New Belgium Snow Day 5.08 1.8
Afligem Noel 5 1.9
Samuel Smiths Winter Welcome 4.94 1.5
Ska Euphoria 4.88 2.3
Abita Christmas Ale 4.79 1.9
Newcastle 4.75 1.4

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13479 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Green Flash Brewing Tripel

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saturday with lunch, both on draught:

* Cuvee Des Trolls (good to very good)
* Rahr Winter Warmer (good to very good)

Joe
-----

Posts: 13479 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Shane and BRR, I don't like IPA that much but I do like Pliny. Agree with the Dogfish 90 being another IPA in that league but somehow don't dig the Sculpin. I think Avery Maharaja may be my favorite IPA though.

BRR, name an IPA you have in mind that competes with Pliny.

Sure! The first that came to mind: Firestone Walker Double Jack.

Cheers!

Posts: 2884 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest.

Finally got to try a Dogfish Head 120 over the weekend. I did not like it at all. Split a small bottle with a buddy and could only handle a few small sips from my glass. Way over the top. Ack

Posts: 5415 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally got to try a Dogfish Head 120 over the weekend. I did not like it at all. Split a small bottle with a buddy and could only handle a few small sips from my glass. Way over the top. Ack

+1

The "120" is indeed, pretty gross. It tastes like somebody dumped a cup of sugar in cough syrup...not for me. It's the only Dogfish Head I haven't enjoyed.

If you come across their "Sah-Tea," give it a try.

From Dogfish Head's website:

"The wort for Sah'tea is caramelized over white-hot river rocks, and the beer is fermented with a German weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged from the Finnish countryside, Sah'tea is flavored with black tea, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and black pepper."

Good stuff!

posted Hide Post
Many Bass Ale's last night

Posts: 5915 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
flying monkeys BNL. like a chocolate milkshake with too much vodka in it. not my thing.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I see another Quilmes anytime in the next year shoot me.

Joe
-----

posted Hide Post
Enjoyed a few beers Sunday night with TPE.

My favorites were, St. Bernardus Abt 12 and Maredsous 8.

Posts: 30058 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the last week in Los Cabos, drank a lot of Negra Modelo and a few Pacificos. Also hit the Baja Brewing Company and had some of their Cactus Wheat.

Posts: 3573 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Widmer Brrr!

Posts: 6777 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mill st. Cobblestone stout. Really really like it.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rogue Yellow Snow IPA

Posts: 146 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Jan 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now. Pliny

Posts: 913 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
...drank a lot of Negra Modelo and a few Pacificos.

Cool

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6073 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
...drank a lot of Negra Modelo and a few Pacificos.

Cool

I'm heading to Puerto Vallarta in a couple months. I hear an ex-pat just opened a brewpub down there and is getting good reviews.