WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What BEER are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... 168
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What BEER are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
During AZ beer week here in AZ the owner of Firestone walker and Brewer were in town and brought two special barrels with them.

They are starting to brew some Sours and these barrels were their first attempts apparently.

Both were the Firestone Walker double dba that they've aged in barrel with added brettanomyces. One was aged an extra couple years. Only ten of these barrels even exist they said.

Both were solid efforts and being a Sour beer guy I'm looking forward to more brewers going this way.

Still have yet to find anything to come close the the Sours from RRB however.

Anyone else have any suggestions for favorite sours they know of or have tried and liked?

I also enjoy the Lips of Faith series sours.

Posts: 917 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surly Furious IPA.

Posts: 9452 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyone else have any suggestions for favorite sours they know of or have tried and liked?

You might enjoy some of Jolly Pumpkin's sours. They are one of the few I've had that IMO have a good selection and are almost/at par with RRB, great in their own signature way. Cantillon if you can find it (other Lambics like Drie Fonteinen). Firestone recently built a hub 100% dedicated to brewing sours and I can't imagine they won't be world class if they are anything like their reserve series brews (Parabola, DDBA, Sucaba, etc)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wino805,

Posts: 47 | Location: 805 - California | Registered: Jan 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The New Belgium Lips of Faith Sours showed up today in my market.

Tried the La Folie last year and enjoyed it; still not in the same ballpark as the RRB Sours however.

Looking forward to trying this one as well. $15.49 for a 22oz... Ouch!

Posts: 917 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You might enjoy some of Jolly Pumpkin's sours. They are one of the few I've had that IMO have a good selection and are almost/at par with RRB, great in their own signature way.

Looks like there is some Jolly Pumpkin local here that I can grab. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a try.

posted Hide Post
Lagunitas Sucks. Wish this would be a year round beed and not a limited release.

Procrastination is like second nature, and prone to exotic nomenclature.

Posts: 724 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Dec 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple Thirsty Goat Ambers with a good friend tonight.

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1954 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just tried the Lazy Magnolia Saison. Not impressed.

Evil Twin Hipster Ale, however...

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New Glarus Brewing Co. Two Women Lager

In the United States, anyone can be President. That's the problem!

Posts: 1119 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pliny the Elder

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2955 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NewOrleansWinosaur:
Do you typically enjoy saisons?

Posts: 2955 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lagunitas IPA out at dinner with fried chicken

Posts: 283 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Aug 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
quote:
Originally posted by NewOrleansWinosaur:
Do you typically enjoy saisons?

Yes, yes I do. It wasn't what I look for in a Saison. It was like an entry-level Saison. Not enough citrus, spice, or green herb notes. Lacking finish.

Now, the Stillwater Stateside Saison and Saison Dupont... Banana

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. We just returned from California and I bought back some Almanac Honey Saison. Absolutely awful stuff.

Seek out the Jester King saisons if you have them in your market. The Das Uberkind is awesome, and the Das Wunderkind is the sour version of the Uberkind.

posted Hide Post
Two Brothers Long Haul Session Ale
Two Brothers Outlaw IPA

Both on tap in the building they are brewed in.

Posts: 5497 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Half Acre Gossamer last night.

Posts: 3253 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over this weekend (on vacation and at several different sittings:

Troegs Nugget Nectar
Bell's Hopslam
Founders Centennial IPA
Guinness
Westbrook IPA
Stone Enjoy By DIPA

Procrastination is like second nature, and prone to exotic nomenclature.

Posts: 724 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Dec 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today I had Bell's Midwest Pale Ale and Lagunitas Sucks. Bell's was OK, but I loved the Lagunitas. It might be my new favorite beer.

Posts: 3253 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
Today I had Bell's Midwest Pale Ale and Lagunitas Sucks. Bell's was OK, but I loved the Lagunitas. It might be my new favorite beer.

+1

Tonight:

- Lagunitas Sucks (Incredible beer...giving Pliny a run for its money!)

- Dogfish Head "Noble Rot"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shane T.,

Posts: 1596 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:

+1

Tonight:

- Lagunitas Sucks (Incredible beer...giving Pliny a run for its money!)

- Dogfish Head "Noble Rot"

I like the Lagunitas Sucks, but I thought the Bell's HopSlam was much cleaner, and certainly closer to giving Pliny any competition than the Lagunitas. Nice beer, nonetheless.

I didn't like the Noble Rot, and I'm a big fan of DF.

Last night I had a Dogfish Head Immort Ale. I had this on tap about a month ago and loved it. I've had three bottles now in as many days and am not enjoying them. I get a weird chicory / burnt chipotle note that's nagging me. I'm not sure if I just didn't pick up on it when I had it on tap, or if it was more subtle.

Posts: 5020 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't like the Noble Rot, and I'm a big fan of DF.

I liked it quite a bit. It's not something I would care to drink regularly, but it's another wonderful DFH concoction. It kind of reminded of a "grapey" hard-cider. Interesting stuff...

Posts: 1596 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the same of the Immort Ale. Nothing I'd buy again and the description sounded better than it was. I had DFG 120 minute for the first time, a whole pint! Wow and Banana talk about a 1 beer buzz.

I've been having Palate Wrecker on tap a bit lately, great really hoppy beer and very balanced. Good malt backbone. One of my recent favorites. There are so many great double/imperial IPAs lately I don't seek Pliny as much as I used to unless it's right there on the shelf or I happen to be at the brewpub and buy a case.

Posts: 47 | Location: 805 - California | Registered: Jan 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guinness.

Posts: 5497 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Avery Maharaja DIPA (Boulder, CO)

Clear orange color. Resiny with lots of tropical fruits and pine. Not much of that lovely floral, refershing hop aroma or flavor that I crave. Surprisingly light carbonation. Not my cup of....beer (tea).

Cheers!

Posts: 2913 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam Adams with a Chicago dog at O'Hare.

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1954 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post