WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wine Pairing With Bacon?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine Pairing With Bacon?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
2007 Alain Graillot La Guiraude Crozes Hermitage.

wow, thank you for reminding me that this wine exists. i need to do a little shopping.

Posts: 4400 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A smoky/nutty/toffee-ish chardonnay would be cool.

Posts: 8528 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
N. Rhone was my first thought --- St. Joseph or Cornas, ideally.

After that --- and I don't even know if this would work, but it sounds intriguing to me --- perhaps a Sauternes or an off-dry Chenin Blanc?

Posts: 1819 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure I would go with a North Rhone as there is enough bacon flavor going on in the food, why look for it in the wine too? Of all French wine regions, Alsace is very "pig" oriented in food. Not saying it is a good match but I assume it is paired often there. A good friend of mine from the region says they don't just eat part of the pig, they cook and eat all of the pig. Eek

Posts: 2371 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of a moderately sweet Alsatian, depending on what was accompanying the bacon. I don't think I'd go with a red.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oooh, I like that! Too bad I don't have enough time to source some.
A lot of great suggestions here, thank you folks! Board-O, that's an interesting idea. Are you thinking riesling or gewurzt?

May you never go to hell, but always be on your way.

Posts: 6615 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mneeley, I know it's not necessary, but I'm going to take a moment to summarize all the excellent suggestions you've received, because let's face it, we forumites have made your wine selection really easy.

The perfect wine pairing with bacon is clearly and unequivocally white, red, rosé, sparkling, dessert, fortified dessert wine, or maple syrup.

No matter which type you choose, obviously the wine should come from the Northern Rhone, Southern Rhone, California, Spain, South America, Bordeaux, Alsace, Portugal, Champagne, Nova Scotia, Loire Valley, or Washington State. It is clearly the consensus among the sophisticated palates here that Italian, Hungarian, or Hawaiian wines simply will not work.

Now that we've narrowed it down so precisely for you, there is definitely only one obvious option that you can choose. Please be sure to post how it went.

Cheers!

Posts: 8139 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin. Just the laugh I needed to start my morning.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny, the first wine that popped to mind was Riesling, which has not been explicitly mentioned, although implicit in the Alsatian suggestion.
I'd go with a Spatlese.
If a red, a fruit forward WA or CA with a slight touch of RS- not Aussie, though, or anything jammy. Maybe a Zin.
More probably a good craft beer. If not, keep the water glasses filled.

Posts: 2232 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! I think the sweet whites are a good idea. One, because I already have many, and two, there will be enough other people bringing reds to the dinner. So dessert may be an unfilled niche.
While not Alsatian, I have a good cross section of J.J. Prüm Spatlese that I will bring.
Also, as a backup, I have a '10 Chakana Estate Selection Malbec that came highly recommended.

Posts: 6615 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Mneeley, I know it's not necessary, but I'm going to take a moment to summarize all the excellent suggestions you've received, because let's face it, we forumites have made your wine selection really easy.

The perfect wine pairing with bacon is clearly and unequivocally white, red, rosé, sparkling, dessert, fortified dessert wine, or maple syrup.

No matter which type you choose, obviously the wine should come from the Northern Rhone, Southern Rhone, California, Spain, South America, Bordeaux, Alsace, Portugal, Champagne, Nova Scotia, Loire Valley, or Washington State. It is clearly the consensus among the sophisticated palates here that Italian, Hungarian, or Hawaiian wines simply will not work.

Now that we've narrowed it down so precisely for you, there is definitely only one obvious option that you can choose. Please be sure to post how it went.

Last night was a blast, and Seaquam was right on the money. It was literally a bottle of darn near everything.
As an aside, that bottle of Chakana malbec showed very well for such a young wine.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:

Last night was a blast, and Seaquam was right on the money. It was literally a bottle of darn near everything.
As an aside, that bottle of Chakana malbec showed very well for such a young wine.

LOL Thank you Seaquam and MNeely! I needed a good laugh after working all afternoon on a Sunday. Seaquam did put it eloquently, and good to hear that Saturday was a blast!

Posts: 1616 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post