WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wine Pairing With Bacon?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine Pairing With Bacon?
 Login/Join 
posted
Yeah.
Ok, a wine dinner with the twist being that the wine is not the theme, the ingredient, bacon, is.
I'm thinking a Syrah or Malbec? Champagne is a cop out. Thoughts?

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6822 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
port.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12232 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Northern Rhone, obvi.

Posts: 1679 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider a dry Rose from the Rhone or Tavel.

Posts: 5494 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would actually go with a Southern rhone or California GSM blend. I think they will go well with the smokiness of the bacon. Alternatively, a Jumilla wine.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1623 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take it you're not going to have a plate of bacon as a course? Or, is it a breakfast with wine pairings? Smile

Thinking of dishes I do or have with bacon - for most of those dishes I don't think the bacon would be a strong influence for the wine I pair with those dishes. But it probably would be cool to work in a syrah that has bacon flavors at some point in the dinner, maybe by itself even?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3491 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
Northern Rhone, obvi.

super obvi.

Posts: 5002 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
quote:
Northern Rhone, obvi.

super obvi.

which is why people should stop being boring and try it with some port =)

unless mneely was looking for some reaffirmation from everyone else on what to pour.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12232 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alban or how about this? Jost Maple Wine

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2411 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
which is why people should stop being boring and try it with some port =)

such a port pusher. Wink

i think syrah would be too bold for bacon. i'd go with malbec or carmenere.

some friends once paired bacon mac & cheese with a white burgundy.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bacon wrapped scallops certainly works with a white burg

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
quote:
Northern Rhone, obvi.

super obvi.

OMG, SOOO obvi!

Cheers!

Posts: 2910 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seriously, though, I'd probably go with a lighter bodied Syrah from the likes of, say, L'Ecole or Reininger.

Cheers!

Posts: 2910 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I take it you're not going to have a plate of bacon as a course? Or, is it a breakfast with wine pairings? Smile

Thinking of dishes I do or have with bacon - for most of those dishes I don't think the bacon would be a strong influence for the wine I pair with those dishes. But it probably would be cool to work in a syrah that has bacon flavors at some point in the dinner, maybe by itself even?

+1

Really depends on what the rest of the dish is. You wouldn't pair bacon wrapped scallops with the same wine you would bacon wrapped filet just because they both have bacon.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2778 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, if you do a search, I think there are notes on here from a dinner the Chicago Wine Mafia did using the same exact theme -- all dishes had bacon in them.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2778 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
Also, if you do a search, I think there are notes on here from a dinner the Chicago Wine Mafia did using the same exact theme -- all dishes had bacon in them.

The infamous Bacon Bowl.

Posts: 3600 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I paired a plate of bacon with a Cass Paso Robles Grenache...great combo. It's a lighter style grenache with bright fruit. It was a little hot, but the bacon cut right through the alc.

www.mywinelist.net

Posts: 200 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Nov 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Menu items as I know them are, bacon w/:
beef (bbq and filet)
mushrooms
salad
broccoli or asparagus
potato gratin
Hoppin John
bourbon pecan pie

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6822 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CdP

Posts: 1630 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cote rotie

The perfect pairing for a reason Wink

Posts: 15571 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
100% agree with KSCO2. Nothing like a northern rhone- cote rotie! Cool

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5769 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Champagne is great with anything that's salty, fatty & crispy.

Posts: 2501 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops, I missed your "cop out" comment.

Posts: 2501 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 35 | Location: Western Suburbs, IL | Registered: Nov 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Alain Graillot La Guiraude Crozes Hermitage.

Posts: 9452 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post