WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    $1000 to spend
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$1000 to spend
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Winecaptain:
1986 Mouton Rothschild...

In my opinion the single best bottle of wine to ever come out of Pauillac.

Eek
+1. Bold statement winecaptain. Last time I had the 86 Mouton it was so tight and tannic it was hard to evaluate.

Agree with Glenn 100%. I bought a case based on Parker's raving and 100 point score. I've had 2 and if #3 is as tight as the others, I'll send the rest off to auction.
As long as the 1982 Pichon Lalande is around, that isn't even the best Paulliac in that decade, let alone all time.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My top 3:

1) '00 Margaux
2) Any Krug Clos du Mesnil
3) A few cases of cheap champers and a few more sorority girls.

Posts: 785 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agree with Glenn 100%. I bought a case based on Parker's raving and 100 point score. I've had 2 and if #3 is as tight as the others, I'll send the rest off to auction.

I sent mine off 5 years ago to auction. Glad I did it as I spent the money on 98's 00's 01's and 03's that I think will offer much more pleasure before my 80th birthday.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7606 | Location: San Jose | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Winecaptain:
1986 Mouton Rothschild...

In my opinion the single best bottle of wine to ever come out of Pauillac.

Eek
+1. Bold statement winecaptain. Last time I had the 86 Mouton it was so tight and tannic it was hard to evaluate.

As long as the 1982 Pichon Lalande is around, that isn't even the best Paulliac in that decade, let alone all time.
Agree on that Pichon Lalande. Its my favorite 82 for drinking right now and might be my favorite overall, but time will tell.

Posts: 6413 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd buy some 2010 Rousseau.

homogeneity is boring

Posts: 97 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Latuchie:
I'd buy some 2010 Rousseau.

If one has 25-40 years to wait, a brilliant buy.

Posts: 29997 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much does the 1959 Rousseau Chambertin sell for? One of the greatest Burgundies I've ever had.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36742 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much does the 1959 Rousseau Chambertin sell for? One of the greatest Burgundies I've ever had.

I will split one with you!

Posts: 29997 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the first bottle I ever spent $100 on. The next three were all 1959 La Tache. 1978 was a great year to buy wine. 2012, not so much.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36742 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More importantly, what is the best vintage of Rousseau Chambertin that can be purchased for $1000 right now? And would you spend your money on it?

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3032 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
More importantly, what is the best vintage of Rousseau Chambertin that can be purchased for $1000 right now? And would you spend your money on it?

You can buy the 2002 for $600-$800, and yes, I bought along with Leroy.

Unless you know and trust the provenance a great deal, add $200-$300 and buy the 2005 in lieu of the '02. I'm predicting it may well turn out to be a perfect wine based on the samples I tasted.