WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    $1000 to spend
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$1000 to spend
 Login/Join 
posted
Suppose you won $1000 on a scratch off ticket, all your bills were paid, and you wanted to spend it on wine.

Would you buy 1-6 great bottles, or stock up the cellar with more 'value wines'?

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 968 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as in you have no qualms spending all of the 1000$?

i'd blow it on a two bottles.

1 to drink adn the other for backup.

for me a 1945 croft

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12229 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6 bottles of Champagne or 4 bottles of d'Yquem

Posts: 5153 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A case or two of Gigondas and a couple of "special" bottles.

Posts: 5488 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of $30-$60 bottles and maybe a bottle or two that was/were $100. Italy, Greece, Spain, Western Australia, South Africa and Washington would be where the money was spent.

Posts: 8733 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd buy some higher dollar wines that Iwould not normally buy, maybe 4 to 6 bottles

Posts: 1261 | Location: Scottsdale AZ/Midway UT | Registered: Jun 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One bottle. Make that winning ticket special!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36878 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
+1.

Posts: 6536 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1,000 $1 bottles so my collection would look huge

Posts: 873 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1-Unico
1-Massetto

And a couple nice Rhones!

Posts: 2556 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(1) '95 Margaux
(1) '96 Las Cases

* Whatever I had left would go to mid-90's Dunn Howell Mountains.

Posts: 1581 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1 bottle of the 2010 Comte de Vogue Musigny for our 25th down the road.

Posts: 1674 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would buy a mixed case of Cedric Bouchard Champagne. I need to restock.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy for me, one bottle.

I'm also at that stage in general. I much prefer one stellar bottle than a few good bottles when enjoying wine as well.

Posts: 30169 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A case of 50 to 100 dollar bottles.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1613 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
+1.

Big +2

Posts: 4565 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the input. To come clean, last week I did have a 'scratch off' type situation happen, only in a football pool.

I have my eye on 3 bottles of '98 Krug that will eat up about half the winnings, and the other half goes to my wife to spend on shoes (happy wife, happy life).

We consider it 'found money' so we are having fun instead of being responsible.

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 968 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the winnings. And very good call on the split. Smile

Posts: 2820 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
Thanks for all of the input. To come clean, last week I did have a 'scratch off' type situation happen, only in a football pool.

I have my eye on 3 bottles of '98 Krug that will eat up about half the winnings, and the other half goes to my wife to spend on shoes (happy wife, happy life).

We consider it 'found money' so we are having fun instead of being responsible.

3 pairs of shoes as well? Wink

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1613 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only $1000? Confused

I priced out a case of 2010 Chablis, Without any Raveneau, and a pair of CdP 6-packs of 2010 Pegau and VT, and I'm already over the limit. What a bummer.

Need to buy another ticket. Smack

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1998 Krug Clos du Mesnil. Just to see how a $1000 champagne really tastes.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2012FinalsMVPisclutch:
quote:
quote:
+1.

Big +2

+3, but what bottle? I'd be looking for an '89 Haut Brion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DBG,

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Dec 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Suppose you won $1000 on a scratch off ticket, all your bills were paid, and you wanted to spend it on wine.

Take the girlfriend out, open a split of good Champagne, lick it off her body.

With whatever's left, buy a nice CdR to share with your wife.

Everyone ends up happy.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2642 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBG:
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2012FinalsMVPisclutch:
quote:
quote:
+1.

Big +2

+3, but what bottle? I'd be looking for an '89 Haut Brion.
I'd go for 1990 Montrose, or maybe 1978 Rayas.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2952 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy one: the Shafer Sunspot Magnum on winebid right now $978
I had a taste of this some time back and it is stupendous.

www.budbreak.blogspot.com
www.clonyc.com

Posts: 849 | Registered: Jan 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post