WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Vintages March 16 2013 Release
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintages March 16 2013 Release
 Login/Join 
posted
At the start of the new year, we are always treated to a number of uninspiring Vintages releases. Eventually that changes and we start complaining about the impact on our credit cards. Well, mark March 16 down in your calendars as the day the tide turned. Here are some of the wines slated for release that day:

2010 Chateau Montelena Chardonnay
2009 Château La Tour Blanche
2009 Calera De Villiers Vineyard Pinot Noir
2009 Calera Ryan Vineyard Pinot Noir
2006 Dunn Vineyards Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
2009 Shafer Relentless
2008 Paolo Conterno Riva Del Bric Barolo (entry-level wine from Ginestra fruit)
2008 Antinori Guado Al Tasso
2008 Michele Castellani I Castei Amarone Della Valpolicella Classico

Posts: 5096 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any idea on prices? Need to figure out how big of a hole in my wallet we are talking about.

Posts: 253 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
2006 Dunn Vineyards Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon

FWIW, there are still some '05's floating around.

Posts: 2742 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
At the start of the new year, we are always treated to a number of uninspiring Vintages releases. Eventually that changes and we start complaining about the impact on our credit cards. Well, mark March 16 down in your calendars as the day the tide turned. Here are some of the wines slated for release that day:

2010 Chateau Montelena Chardonnay $58
2009 Château La Tour Blanche $49 - 375ml
2009 Calera De Villiers Vineyard Pinot Noir $45
2009 Calera Ryan Vineyard Pinot Noir $50
2006 Dunn Vineyards Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon $100
2008 Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon $145
2009 Shafer Relentless $83
2008 Paolo Conterno Riva Del Bric Barolo (entry-level wine from Ginestra fruit) $37
2008 Antinori Guado Al Tasso $100
2008 Michele Castellani I Castei Amarone Della Valpolicella Classico $39

Posts: 5096 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guado Al Tasso is $100!?!
Thought it's always been around $80-90. Just drank a bottle of 04 last weekend.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been a buyer of Guado since the '98 vintage but at $100, there are many many more options. I'm sadly going to pass. ( if I can)

How was the 04? Still have a couple and remember it being very good 3 years ago.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody going to the Cali tasting (Mar 21) to taste some of these before shelling out the cash to buy?

True to form, the LCBO releases the wines, then holds the tasting a few days later.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Anybody going to the Cali tasting (Mar 21) to taste some of these before shelling out the cash to buy?

True to form, the LCBO releases the wines, then holds the tasting a few days later.

Might as well go to the tasting bar at QQ - you're likely to get a taste sooner there.

posted Hide Post
quote:

At least it's within the return window, but typical LCBO nonsense.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2387 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

i'm going, but mostly to be obnoxious.

probably wear khakis and a blue shirt.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought you'd be in a Kenora dinner Jacket and cut off blue jeans Razz

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5665 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:

Might as well go to the tasting bar at QQ - you're likely to get a taste sooner there.

You might have a good point there OTW. Maybe Darcy could give us a head's up.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:

I thought you'd be in a Kenora dinner Jacket and cut off blue jeans Razz

that WAS you in Thornbury last weekend eh!

Posts: 1489 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No steelhead yet...

Posts: 1601 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i dunno - pretty sure i saw some at the foodland on 26...

posted Hide Post

Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post