WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Experience w/ nasal spray affecting palate/taste buds?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience w/ nasal spray affecting palate/taste buds?
 Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone had an experience with a nasal spray affecting their sense of taste? I take nasonex for hayfever and just refilled my prescription and the new composition of this nasal spray seems to make all of my red wine taste tainted. Anybody with similiar experiences? I'm trying to confirm this is the cause.

Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

Posts: 67 | Location: Lake Wobegon | Registered: Jul 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My allergies are insane, so I take Zyrtec-D, Rhinocort and Patanol daily. On top of that, I get 3 allergy shots once a week. With that said, I have never had a problem with the nasal spray affecting my sense of taste.

I have used Nasonex and Flonase also and both of those seem to leave an aftertaste. I always drink something right after to get the taste out of my mouth and have never had a problem.

Dat
Hook 'Em!

Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
continued use of nasal spray stops me from eating sauce of ant kind. it has a real chemical taste.
weird

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by me:
continued use of nasal spray stops me from eating sauce of ant kind. it has a real chemical taste.
weird

I already tend to avoid ant-based sauces, and I don't use any nasal sprays at all. Smile

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1384 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark, Maybe brushing your tongue with baking soda would help.

Has your MD suggested saline? Worked wonders for me.

Posts: 8753 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the same experience with nasonex and wine. If I am too stuffed up I just pass on the wine. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often.

I've heard those little teapot type things where you pour into one nostril until it comes out the second nostril are supposed to work wonders but I haven't tried it.

Posts: 556 | Location: Mississauga | Registered: Nov 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WineDaddy:
I've had the same experience with nasonex and wine. If I am too stuffed up I just pass on the wine. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often.

I've heard those little teapot type things where you pour into one nostril until it comes out the second nostril are supposed to work wonders but I haven't tried it.

The nasal rinse I use is Alkalol and it changed my life. That said, I'm off and on addicted to Afrin, which is no good and can slightly affect your tastes. Flonase, and its generic, I have not found to be a problem.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7645 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post