WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Another corkage story...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Another corkage story...
 Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WEc:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
The necklace example is not valid. Nobody gets a necklace comped.


That's an assumption.


A pretty safe one, WEc. At least at retail.

I don't think that mP needed to say anything about the corkage not being on the tab. The fact that he had a discussion (even if lighthearted) with the owner about having it waived makes his assumption that his suggestion was taken quite reasonable.

It does sound like the waiter blew this one, but if he'd forgotten to put one of the meals on the tab and mP had not noticed it when settling up, I can't imagine that there would be a big problem squaring things at the last minute.

As far as "punishing" the server, I'm sure he got an earful from management and was probably embarassed to have to present the second bill. Punishment enough in my mind. If he'd been dinged for the missed corkage charges (let's just assume that it was a couple bottles at $20 per) that would have been a substantial portion of his night's earnings. A pretty stiff price to pay for a simple mistake.

PH
 
Posts: 15138 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Could be worse. Next time, put your arm around his shoulder, gently lead him to the side and say, "Did you ever see that Sopranos episode where the waiter followed them into the parking lot?"


***********
Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.
 
Posts: 6804 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
I wouldn't punish the waiter for the owner or manager's decision/instruction.


An interesting point. But on the flip side, does that mean that you should not leave any additional tip when the manager has decided not to charge a corkage fee? Why reward the waiter for the owner or manager's decision/instruction?
 
Posts: 6465 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:
Being polite and compliant Canadians .


I confess, I stole a cab from a group of Canadians in Bywater two weeks ago. I just knew they wouldn't complain.

I did pay the fare though. Big Grin


Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com
 
Posts: 7670 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by WEc:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
The necklace example is not valid. Nobody gets a necklace comped.


That's an assumption.


A pretty safe one, WEc. At least at retail.

I don't think that mP needed to say anything about the corkage not being on the tab. The fact that he had a discussion (even if lighthearted) with the owner about having it waived makes his assumption that his suggestion was taken quite reasonable.

It does sound like the waiter blew this one, but if he'd forgotten to put one of the meals on the tab and mP had not noticed it when settling up, I can't imagine that there would be a big problem squaring things at the last minute.

As far as "punishing" the server, I'm sure he got an earful from management and was probably embarassed to have to present the second bill. Punishment enough in my mind. If he'd been dinged for the missed corkage charges (let's just assume that it was a couple bottles at $20 per) that would have been a substantial portion of his night's earnings. A pretty stiff price to pay for a simple mistake.

PH


Had you not chimed in, I wouldn't have known I was so wrong in my thinking. Thanks, I appreciate it.


____________________
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. - Hemingway
 
Posts: 1944 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Jul 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I'd have been annoyed because I leave an extra tip when corkage is waived.


I leave an extra tip even if the corkage isn't waived. After all, I would have tipped on the wine if I had bought it from the list.


When in doubt, open another bottle.
 
Posts: 2615 | Location: Silver Spring MD (Near DC) | Registered: Nov 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WEc:
Had you not chimed in, I wouldn't have known I was so wrong in my thinking. Thanks, I appreciate it.


My pleasure. Nice to see you posting again.

PH
 
Posts: 15138 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
A place we frequent in KW did this recently, but I think they brought the second bill before we paid it so we did not have the tip issue.

The server was waiving it and was overruled
 
Posts: 5965 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Well, at least the server was trying to get you comped for free corkage. Even though he failed, I probably would have tipped him quite generously.
 
Posts: 6465 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I read my bill entirely when I receive it. I have caught extra charges, missing charges,and missing discounts. Also ask server when soemthing is not on the bill, thus here I would have caught the corkage.

In this case, if having tipped on the 1st bill, I would not have tipped on the 2nd.


Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!
 
Posts: 6353 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
Well, at least the server was trying to get you comped for free corkage. Even though he failed, I probably would have tipped him quite generously.


Of course - besides in KW it is at most 1 degree of separation so we have to take care of our servers and they take care of us
 
Posts: 5965 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Very true. In a small(ish) town, I am sure that the word would get around pretty quickly as to who is a good customer (and worthy of special treatment) and who does not tip well.
 
Posts: 6465 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
I wouldn't punish the waiter for the owner or manager's decision/instruction.


An interesting point. But on the flip side, does that mean that you should not leave any additional tip when the manager has decided not to charge a corkage fee? Why reward the waiter for the owner or manager's decision/instruction?


Because, in theory, the corkage is supposed to compensate for the smaller bill size due to not purchasing wine from the establishment. Normally, you'd tip on wine purchased there, so you'd also tip on corkage, if not additional for the server handling your wine and stemware. If the establishment comped the corkage, I'd tip even more.


Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas
 
Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:
Being polite and compliant Canadians .


I confess, I stole a cab from a group of Canadians in Bywater two weeks ago. I just knew they wouldn't complain.

I did pay the fare though. Big Grin


At first I thought you had stolen a cabernet, in which case I might have meekly protested.


Punch it , Chewie!
 
Posts: 1377 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
There was a cab shortage, some sort of shoot out a few blocks away.

The Canadian dudes were next in line but couldn't get organized to get all four in the cab at once. We just jumped in and I paid the fare for the two who got in with us.

I did know they wouldn't protest. Big Grin


Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com
 
Posts: 7670 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Another corkage story...

© Wine Spectator 2013