WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Help me pick a wine....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick a wine....
 Login/Join 
posted
I am attending a retirement dinner on Monday night. The menu is NY strip, fish (turbot, snapper or sturgeon) or a vegetable mix plate (among other non-mains). I am sitting at a table for 10 with the guest of honor. I am trying to pick wines and am a little stumped as there will be no "winos" at the table.

For reds I can bring:

1. Many different bottles of 07 cab
2. Large format Bordeaux (96 clos du marquis, 95 duhart, 99 magdelaine, 96 GPL, etc) but worry that they won't be lush enough for non-winos.
3. 07 CdP
4. Older Rioja
5. Ridge zins (oldest are 85 York creek 1.5l rest are 06 or newer)
6. 2000 or 2001 mondavi reserve in 1.5l
7. ?

If it was me, I would bring a single older cab or Bordeaux, but am limited by the larger number.... I have whites to cover the fish.

Thanks,

G

PS - I know any of the above would work, I'm just trying to find something of universal appeal.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Cali Cab is always a crowd pleaser for non winos. I would also think one of your newer Ridge Zins would work.

Posts: 4660 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Assuming the guest of honor doesn't have a strong preference one way or the other I'd choose the Mondavi Mag due to the format. The head count does limit the single bottle options unless you have two of the same, then I'd choose between option 1 (assuming CA) and 3 based on crowd and specific wine.

Posts: 3217 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:

2001 mondavi reserve in 1.5l

Thirsty, I had this at an expense account restaurant recently and it was a brilliant bottle of wine.

Posts: 30383 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. I have a few 750s.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37101 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Good to hear. I have a few 750s.

The bottle we had was very good, Board-O.

Posts: 30383 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe I have three. Time to open the first?

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37101 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
Assuming the guest of honor doesn't have a strong preference one way or the other I'd choose the Mondavi Mag due to the format. The head count does limit the single bottle options unless you have two of the same, then I'd choose between option 1 (assuming CA) and 3 based on crowd and specific wine.

+1

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1926 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you can never go wrong with a well known expense account cali cab

I personally like the 01 mondavi reserve alot too.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12479 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2012FinalsMVPisclutch:
2007 Cali Cab is always a crowd pleaser for non winos. I would also think one of your newer Ridge Zins would work.

+1

Posts: 723 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll bring both mondavis and open the 2000 first. I'm also going to bring a few bottles for anyone interested - probably an 03 Bordeaux or 2 so I have something for the retro tasting. Anyone tried valandrad, GPL or lynch bages from 03?

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post