WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Galloni leaves TWA
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Galloni leaves TWA
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
They just archived the Italian discussion board on WA Roll Eyes

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 664 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg

I think there are a number of things at play here that we may/may not be aware of.

What we do know is that the sale of the Wine Advocate to Hermitage Wines, in Singapore, did not sit well with Antonio. It could be any number of reasons but first and foremost is Antonio's money making firm, All Grapes Media. He obviously could not continue to function in the same financial capacity under the new ownership. So, ironically, their ethical guidelines are stricter? Or they just want a bigger piece of the All Grapes Media Pie?

But there have been rumors that Parker sensed that Antonio was becoming too powerful. Just rumors and I love rumors...but where there is smoke, there is fire...just ask Daniel Thomases, Jay Miller, Dan Phillips, James Suckling, and whoever else...

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 700 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for him.

Only death is free, and even that costs you your life

Posts: 1905 | Registered: Apr 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wino90210:
Interesting piece in the NYTimes about this...AG laments the lack of wine being drunk at restaurants, and somehow thinks it's because people are intimidated and overwhelmed by wine lists.

No, it's because a glass of wine (and I mean a 4 ounce pour) can cost $15.00 - 20.00 at many restaurants these days. No wonder people drink beer or water!

Exactly. People are simply fed up with the huge wine mark-ups (bottles +300%)and will go with the more reasonable options especially in this economy.

Posts: 522 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jay Miller is always available to cover vacancies, for the right price.

Posts: 902 | Location: SW CT | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new ownership at WA required all the writers be employees like WS. They would have no right to their work and the free use of their name in the industry at events etc. Galloni will take all his notes to his new site unlike former WS Suckling. I don't blame him for moving on when the rules changed. As with WS I will wait and see. I am not sure if I like the present WS notes/scores on Italy. I recently joined(2 month trial) Tanzers IWC and I find Ian D'agata all over the place with his notes/scores. I still find Suckling to be a great source for Italian and Bordeaux new releases. I enjoy his stories and history mixed in with his reviews. Galloni has a similar angle in that he spends a great deal of time in Italy and knows the people behind the wines. I don't usually drink wine blind so the story enhances the experience for me.
Let's see what change brings Wink

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 664 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I contacted erobertparker yesterday and had them cancel my automatic renewal. I'll probably switch to ST instead.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DoktaP,

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5447 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
I contacted erbertparker yesterday and had them cancel my automatic renewal. I'll probably switch to ST instead.

Good move!

Posts: 4994 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I contacted erobertparker yesterday and had them cancel my automatic renewal. I'll probably switch to ST instead.

Bro, I did not know you still took Parker.

While I do not take subscribe, he is pretty darn good predicting Rhone, imo.

Posts: 29658 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AG took his Sonoma report with him which was suppose to be placed in the newest issue. The WA indicated how important CA was to their publication.

Posts: 101 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Mar 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

Bro, I did not know you still took Parker.

While I do not take subscribe, he is pretty darn good predicting Rhone, imo.

His greatest strength, I think, with red Burgundy his greatest weakness.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36440 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was considering letting my subscription lapse and then when I got an email that said the credit card they had on file had expired, it made it an easy decision. Can't say it was all about Galloni leaving, but that did have an impact. It was a helpful tool, but I don't run out and buy things based on just released ratings/notes; so, it just seemed like it was time and put that money toward a bottle of wine.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2584 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post