WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Galloni leaves TWA
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Galloni leaves TWA
 Login/Join 
posted
Antonio Galloni just announced that he is leaving the Wine Advocate to start his own online venture... http://www.antoniogalloni.com/

Discuss...

ITB
personal blog: www.coloradowinepress.com

Posts: 248 | Location: Littleton, CO | Registered: Aug 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as Bob continues to cover France, there is hope for the brand. But as for the rest of the WA coverage, that sound you hear is the future swirling down the drain. Best of luck selling their product to the Asian market. When Bob retires for good, the fat lady will sing loud and proud. At least over here. What the impact will be in Hong Kong and Singapore is still an open question. But not a question that interests me in the least.

Posts: 1714 | Location: CONNECTICUT | Registered: Oct 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked Antonio Good reviews and he has the same likes as I.

WA is about out of 'respect'. Those left, other than RMP, are fairly poor. The product is not worth much now.

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6358 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for him! Always enjoyed his reviews.

Posts: 216 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He should join Tanzer(IWC). I find their approach very similar as wine critics.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6599 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
He should join Tanzer(IWC). I find their approach very similar as wine critics.

Tanzer has Ian D'Agata who does a great job covering northern Italy.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A JimmyV sighting. Sweet.

Posts: 5971 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty gutsy. I think he is good, but I am uncertain he can compete in what I feel is a pretty crowded market.
Leaves RP with a bit of a coverage problem.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How 'bout that. And a bunch of us just had a Cab dinner with Galloni two weeks ago, thinking he was going to be covering CA for a long time to come.

As far as the rest of the field being pretty weak, David S ia a wealth of knowledge, although Neal's passion is Burgundy and Bordeaux he's becoming better by the day when it comes to Spain, and Mark is actually a good reviewer so it's not like they're completely bereft of talent.

But I agree with WineDoc - seems to be a pretty crowded market. Look at Suckling - he's not really setting the world on fire trying to establish himself as a brand. Galloni has an advantage in that he was a bit of a brand before joining the WA, but I don't see how he makes a living off that. Seems like he's going to be doing dinners and events to make a living rather than writing copious reviews. That's tricky too because it's the reviews that make the dinners sell out, so who knows.

I wish him good luck.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2630 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping he continues to review Ridge wines like in the past.

Posts: 9444 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyV:
As long as Bob continues to cover France, there is hope for the brand. But as for the rest of the WA coverage, that sound you hear is the future swirling down the drain. Best of luck selling their product to the Asian market. When Bob retires for good, the fat lady will sing loud and proud. At least over here. What the impact will be in Hong Kong and Singapore is still an open question. But not a question that interests me in the least.

I must have missed something... what does AG leaving WA have to do with the Asian market, HK or Singapore?

I do agree that WA's value beyond RMP is negligible. However, since he's not due to retire anytime soon, WA will still be relevant and he'll have to find someone to cover Italy and Burgundy. If he wants the WA brand to have a future beyond him, he might be better off treating WA as a partnership (like a law firm) rather than a corporation and find a owner-partner rather than an employee to replace AG.

Posts: 1252 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought he would leave after being passed up for the editor-in-chief position in favor of Lisa Perrotti-Brown.

Posts: 700 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on how WA fulfills Galloni's responsibilities, I might consider dropping it and moving to Galloni's new endeavor.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2764 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can pretty much guarantee I'll be doing that also, EIT.

Posts: 10903 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was waiting for you to pipe in. Cool

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5742 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I follow futronic, otis, and Steve8 for my Italian recommendations. I like Suckling too but I think we're really at the point where anyone with internet access and a corkscrew has declared themselves a critic.

My gut tells me that where these guys are going or what they are doing is shortly to be as relevant as tracking the best buggy whip makers.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7672 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:

I was waiting for you to pipe in. Cool

Yeah, I was quite surprised when I read about it yesterday. That said, I'm glad Galloni has a plan for his own site. I've been a subscriber to his work going back to Piedmont Report, and will continue to do so.

With Antonio gone, It's highly unlikely I'll keep my subscription to WA, as very little of the remaining content is relevant to me.

Posts: 10903 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
I must have missed something... what does AG leaving WA have to do with the Asian market, HK or Singapore?

Yes, you did miss something. A significant interest in TWA has been sold to Asian investors and the editorial center is now in Singapore. As the saying goes, follow the money. In the wine world, that means Asia. TWA will more and more cater to the buying and collecting needs there. With neither RMP nor AG reviewing CA wines,and CA wines being largely irrelevant in Asia (except for the obvious trophies), it is hard to imagine that TWA will be terribly relevant when it comes to CA wine, at least until some new reviewer establishes him/herself. I don't see how the sale to Asian investors, coupled with the editorial move to Singapore and the departure of the respected reviewer of CA wines can add up to good news.

Posts: 1714 | Location: CONNECTICUT | Registered: Oct 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The purchasers are involved in a company called Hermitage, which imports wine. Or the guys have sold their shares but at least one of them is married to the person who manages and is CEO of the company. She tweeted what was basically a FU to people who questioned the propriety of mixing wine reviews and importing.

I think it's entirely possible to have editorial independence, but the new manager, Lisa, said she wants all the reviewers to be employees because that will give management more control. That's fine, but control of what? Side jobs? Well, Antonio has a company that puts together events like the upcoming Festa de Barolo. There's a lot of money to be made off those events and why should the WA give it up to a company owned by an employee?

Antonio is a decent guy. So is Bob actually, but the management and even more, the public relations of the WA has been a disaster. The news of Galloni came out in the NYT. Several hours later, Bob posted that he heard from Antonio a few hours earlier. Weird that it was already in the NYT. And Lisa didn't say boo about it. Too bad for the WA.

Decanter link

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2630 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg

Do not act so surprised

The WA media debacles are becoming "legendary" to all of us. What a blunder.

And, someone up the line said that Galloni was passed over for editor in chief.

Sorta, not really.

Lisa appears to be a part of the buying group, so naturally they would promote her up the line.

Galloni seemed to have the inside track on buying the WA a few years ago (rumors swirled of a deal in place) but when push came to shove, Singapore came up with the cash, not Galloni.

The WA is dying in the United States, and it is not such a bad thing. One person should not and cannot have so much control in the wine world.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 751 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah but that power is waning except for Bordeaux and the Rhone. I'm really curious to see who will be in the next group of people Lisa has mentioned will be hired. And even more curious to see who makes the decision. She said they'd be putting on someone from Asia, but that's only, oh, a few billion people and I guess she's not picking up anyone from Burma. Once it becomes an Asian publication, it loses influence in the west - I just don't see that the Americans and even the Europeans will be all that interested in how their wine or wine from Australia or NZ is rated by the "Asians", whoever they may be. There will be all kinds of explanations as to cultural differences, etc., but the world isn't like it was in the 1970s when the wine business was essentially made up of producers in France and Italy and consumers in Europe and the US.

posted Hide Post
From RMP this morning (WA bulletin):

"Nice to see the reasonable responses...balances out the frustration from some of the negatives and hysteria...truth be told,if I had been in AG's shoes,I would have made the exact same decision...he already had a viable company ALL GRAPES MEDIA, and did not want to become an employee with much stricter controls of what he could do externally...he should do well, but to those that expect the demise of TWA, I think we will only get much stronger-news that won't sit well among some segments of the wine-writing community-TWA has been an enormously successful enterprise for the last 30 years,6 of which we were blessed with having AG working for us....but we now have a chance to find and hire the best and brightest of the younger up and coming writers, and we will do that..one of my personal pleasures is seeing previous contributors flourishing in their post TWA life....Pierre Rovani is a prime example, and AG will be as well...and keep this confidential ...I am thinking of making a comeback in California...I missed it to begin with,and you can't beat the working conditions out there in Shangri-La...besides...next Monday, I become the first wine critic to be enshrined in the Vintner's Hall of Fame...so maybe I still owe that state a little of my heart and soul...
Lastly, I wish we could have told you about AG's departure first,but he gave the story to Asimov first...and then called me...he gets a pass on that as he must be excited about going out on his own...."

Posts: 869 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
From RMP this morning (WA bulletin):

"Nice to see the reasonable responses...balances out the frustration from some of the negatives and hysteria...truth be told,if I had been in AG's shoes,I would have made the exact same decision...he already had a viable company ALL GRAPES MEDIA, and did not want to become an employee with much stricter controls of what he could do externally...he should do well, but to those that expect the demise of TWA, I think we will only get much stronger-news that won't sit well among some segments of the wine-writing community-TWA has been an enormously successful enterprise for the last 30 years,6 of which we were blessed with having AG working for us....but we now have a chance to find and hire the best and brightest of the younger up and coming writers, and we will do that..one of my personal pleasures is seeing previous contributors flourishing in their post TWA life....Pierre Rovani is a prime example, and AG will be as well...and keep this confidential ...I am thinking of making a comeback in California...I missed it to begin with,and you can't beat the working conditions out there in Shangri-La...besides...next Monday, I become the first wine critic to be enshrined in the Vintner's Hall of Fame...so maybe I still owe that state a little of my heart and soul...
Lastly, I wish we could have told you about AG's departure first,but he gave the story to Asimov first...and then called me...he gets a pass on that as he must be excited about going out on his own...."

Can I say "BS"?

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6358 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know Ed, maybe not. I'm not privy in any way, but I think Antonio really did like and respect Bob and that may be returned. I think the issue, and I have zero inside info on this, may have been more of an Antonio vs new owners than anything else.

It's not far-fetched to imagine Bob re-taking CA - it's a lot closer than Hong Kong.

Again, no inside info, but reading between the lines, Bob and Antonio seem OK. Lisa seems colder.

But maybe that's just my take.

posted Hide Post
Interesting piece in the NYTimes about this...AG laments the lack of wine being drunk at restaurants, and somehow thinks it's because people are intimidated and overwhelmed by wine lists.

No, it's because a glass of wine (and I mean a 4 ounce pour) can cost $15.00 - 20.00 at many restaurants these days. No wonder people drink beer or water!

Posts: 202 | Location: los angeles | Registered: Apr 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post