WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Washington State Retailers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washington State Retailers
 Login/Join 
posted
I liked Discount Wine Buys on Mercer Island for its extensive selection of Washington reds and also Spanish and Italian at low, wholesale prices. It went out of business. Frown Any Washington state residents have a place for me that fits that description? I found Mad Wine and it is cool but not as extensive with malbec, petit verdot, sangiovese etc. Your recommendations are appreciated.

Posts: 8691 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you talking walk-in or an on-line experience?

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6787 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
I liked Discount Wine Buys on Mercer Island for its extensive selection of Washington reds and also Spanish and Italian at low, wholesale prices. It went out of business. Frown Any Washington state residents have a place for me that fits that description? I found Mad Wine and it is cool but not as extensive with malbec, petit verdot, sangiovese etc. Your recommendations are appreciated.

Esquin downtown Seattle or Pete's in Bellevue.

Posts: 1114 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Qhdeputy.

Mneeley, online.

posted Hide Post
Ok, Madwine is the online store for Esquin.
Pete's can be found here.

There is also Wine World & Spirits

Posts: 6787 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mneeley, those 3 sites are some good resources.

posted Hide Post
In terms of deep access to really cool, higher-end Washington stuff, there is also Compass Wines up in Anacortes.

Posts: 740 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Compass was very cool, thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Compass was very cool, thanks.

Awesome, happy to help!

Posts: 740 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As to Compass, fwiw, the two contacts I've had with them were:
1) Called to confirm that they had a wine in stock that was on their website. They did not.
2) Went out of my way to visit the store once (Anacortes is somewhat remote), and they were closed at a time that the hours on their door indicated they should be open.

So perhaps it was just my bad luck, and this was a couple years ago, but caveat emptor.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Anacortes is somewhat remote

Understatement to say the least. Very remote indeed. That said, they are very highly regarded.

posted Hide Post
quote:
As to Compass, fwiw, the two contacts I've had with them were:
1) Called to confirm that they had a wine in stock that was on their website. They did not.
2) Went out of my way to visit the store once (Anacortes is somewhat remote), and they were closed at a time that the hours on their door indicated they should be open.

So perhaps it was just my bad luck, and this was a couple years ago, but caveat emptor.

I am sorry to hear that, sucks to drive so far only to find a closed door. I find their prices 15-20% higher than everyone else, which I guess is reasonable for such a remote location. I've never purchased from them, but my friend rents a storage locker there and we have no doubt that their customer service is 1st class.

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1438 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seattle Wine Company in Bellevue.

Posts: 489 | Location: Honolulu, HI, USA | Registered: Jun 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tylerhi:
Seattle Wine Company in Bellevue.

Great wine shop (I spent about $200 there last weekend), but terrible website.

posted Hide Post
I had to jump in here!
I am sorry if you made a trip up here and we were closed, but you must have hit us on a holiday or the two days we close to do a physical inventory each year. Bummer!
Regarding our pricing: yes, we do charge more than most, and this is why: Our policy is to support smaller, often family run wineries and to promote the ones we feel are good values. As we really want all of these guys to survive, our policy it to charge the same or MORE than the tasting room, so we don't drain their mailing lists and thus hurt the guys we are trying to support. By doing this, wineries are more willing to sell us more wine as they realize they are not taking away the retail sales they need to survive. We then cellar much of this wine and release it over time to give our customers a selection of older wines as well as the new stuff. This buying policy and carrying cost shows up in our retail pricing, which can be a tad higher (but not normally as high as was quoted here). This also gives us the opportunity to offer the extensive inventory that we normally have on hand. Yes, our web page is dated and needs help, but frankly, we have found that most of our customers enjoy speaking on the phone and call first anyway as they cannot believe that what shows up on line, is actually what we have in the shop and not just a 'phantom' inventory that is becoming the norm for most retailers.
I love the feedback, so keep it coming!
Doug Charles
Compass Wines
360-293-6500

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This looks like a good place to start with my question. I have recently moved to Blaine and I brought with me about 10 cases of really nice wines. Some still need cellaring and some are ready soon. I purchased a wine cooler refrigerator and have installed in my garage. It does not run right now because the ambient temperature in the garage is colder than the cooler can make it so the wine is in the cooler and I unplugged the cooler.

The wine should be OK I am hoping? As soon as it warms up a bit here I can plug the cooler back in and I am assuming the summer will be fine. I also have left the door ajar to cut down on any mildew or musty smell

Anybody else have this problem? I am a newbie at this so any suggestions would be great.

ron

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wine world had a really great spirits selection too but it doesn't seem to be sortable on their website.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7650 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
quote:

Wine world had a really great spirits selection too but it doesn't seem to be sortable on their website.

The sprits were sortable by 11 categories and each category had everything they offer on one page.

posted Hide Post
we did an extensive weather pattern and temp study before we put in our wine storage in Anacortes, and the weather in Blaine is almost the same, if just a tad cooler. The ambient temp in this area is 55 degrees year round. If you run your cooler in the hotter months, and turn it off in the winter, you should be just fine. Humidity is also not an issue here, so no big issue there, unless it is too moist, which ends up being more cosmetic than dangerous. Good luck asd welcome to the area.
Doug Charles
Compass Wines
360-293-6500

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug,
I don't think I would have tried buying wine on a holiday, so it must have been inventory day. As I said, just my luck. I'll try again some other time when I'm in the area.

iluv2golf,
You should be good for most of the year in Blaine. I have a passive cellar in my basement that is 2/3 underground with a Whispercool unit I installed and vented to the outside. I only need to run it a few weeks in the summer.

posted Hide Post
quote:

The sprits were sortable by 11 categories and each category had everything they offer on one page.

Spo that more a list of what they may have. The actual "shop" link is not sortable and has no prices listed or way to add things to a cart. I just went in live.

Stefania Wine

Posts: 7650 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red Face I am going to nonchalantly blame that on my lack of knowledge and interest on/in spirits.

posted Hide Post
Surprises me actually. With your love of everything odd in wine I'd think you'd dig on the new wave of gins and whiskeys out there.

Stefania Wine

posted Hide Post
Ha! I tried some Cognac and Whiskey/Scotch but was discouraged. I suspect it is the 40% abv. I just barely got to the point where Port is enjoyable.

posted Hide Post
Damn it Stefania Wine, you made curious, i know this won't end well for me.... but i cant help myself. Will buy some spirits.