WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2013 Wine New Year's Resolutions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2013 Wine New Year's Resolutions
 Login/Join 
posted
I'm resolved to try 2 bottles of Alsatian wine each month.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3432 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy as little from the LCBO stores as possible.
Classics, auction and importers is my new mantra

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dave Canada,

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't do New Year's resolutions..... Nothing wrong with them, I just find that I don't need to have one day of the year to start mine.

PH

Posts: 14915 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I don't do New Year's resolutions..... Nothing wrong with them, I just find that I don't need to have one day of the year to start mine.

PH

+1 and very well said, PH Wink

Posts: 15342 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 to DaveCanada and PurpleHaze

I don't need a day to start it, but I want to buy more from the US (as opposed to the LCBO) going forward and drink more dry, still whites (I drink lots of sweet and bubbly ones as it is)

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2193 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I don't need a day to start it, but I want to buy more from the US ...

Drink less, Drink better = Buy 'special wines' in the States Wink

Posts: 15342 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As always, I resolve to buy less wine this year (100 bottles max).

I've made the same resolution the last several years, and each year I've failed miserably. But this is the year I hold it. Yeah, that's the ticket! Smile

Posts: 2915 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm resolved to try 2 bottles of Alsatian wine each month.

Because w/out the publicly stated determination to do so, who would buy as many as 2 each year? Every time I try one, I'm more firmly convinced that I never need to buy one.

Big Grin

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2559 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy more half bottles

Posts: 263 | Registered: Oct 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fill in all the empty spaces downstairs that used to have wine in them.

Posts: 3094 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trade and drink more wine with my brother.

Posts: 9358 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like PurpleHaze, KSC02 and Rob_S, I've broken too many New year's resolutions to make 'em any more Big Grin
That sed, 'goals' are for 3 trips to France, and to develop a relationship with an importer.

Posts: 1028 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To delete more email offers

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36725 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Convince well-meaning but non-wino friends to stop giftimg me wines or wine-related items. Wink

Posts: 5345 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Attend an offline in the GTA. Smile

Posts: 248 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
To delete more email offers
+1 Smile. Few things I need to do: (1)Drink more high quality dry whites.(2) Drink more Champagne.(3) Most importantly, get to know and share more wine with other forumites I've yet to meet.

Posts: 909 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be under 200 bottles on hand by next X-mas:

- buy less
- reduce consumption (weekdays)
- reduce mailing list

Not have to move 425 bottles in the spring of 2014 like I did in the Summer 2011.

www.khanrahan.com

Posts: 117 | Location: Hampton Roads, Virginia | Registered: Jan 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy less. Drink less. Focus on 2009 Bordeaux in the under $35 price point. Formulate an exit strategy from collecting. I'll be needing a new hobby/obsession.

---------------------------------------------------------
"...And so ultimately you didn't blame Lil John or Meat Loaf. You fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well-handled, sir. Well-handled."

Posts: 1402 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buying less wine.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pass at least 1 wine exam this year. Hopefully the Certified Somm exam.

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NewOrleansWinosaur:
Pass at least 1 wine exam this year. Hopefully the Certified Somm exam.

Good luck.

Posts: 29975 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Increasing the average per bottle value of my collection without ramping up my spending, mainly by drinking as much dross as possible and laying down fewer but better wines in replacement.

Roughly 80% of the bottles I plan to open in 2013 will come from the bottom quarter ($-wise) of my collection.

Posts: 2475 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
+1 to DaveCanada and PurpleHaze

I don't need a day to start it, but I want to buy more from the US (as opposed to the LCBO) going forward and drink more dry, still whites (I drink lots of sweet and bubbly ones as it is)

+1 on above, with more dry still whites, (more varietals and regions).

Posts: 1766 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t do resolutions either, but I do have wine goals for 2013 and it’s mainly getting more familiar with Burgundy. I have a couple of burgundy books in the queue and I’ll focus a good part of my wine budget on 2010 Burgundy which based on the wines I have tried I much prefer to 2009. I’ll also try to back fill some older vintages as well.

Posts: 6387 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post