Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Good Bye RMP
 Login/Join 
Member
posted
Shock today. Retirng, selling company, going digital [end of 2013], taking ads in mag, focusing on Far East Hiring Squires as an employee.

No this is not April fool. Glad my sub just ran out.


Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!
 
Posts: 6350 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
WSJ Article
Last paragraph was a bit icy though.

Interesting way to close out and I'm not sure that the ads are going to be particularly useful in a non-print vehicle.

In fact, I think they may lose subscribers. It's rare for me to call on a store and not see a copy of the WA and the WS - the owners get those and peruse them for things to order. WS has managed to capture the individual customers while WA has always been purchased by the retailers/distributors. So the subscriber base is actually not all that large. They'll have to be more like WS if they want to grow the ad audience. It'll be interesting to see what happens.


"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."
 
Posts: 2623 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
WSJ Article
Last paragraph was a bit icy though.

Interesting way to close out and I'm not sure that the ads are going to be particularly useful in a non-print vehicle.

In fact, I think they may lose subscribers. It's rare for me to call on a store and not see a copy of the WA and the WS - the owners get those and peruse them for things to order. WS has managed to capture the individual customers while WA has always been purchased by the retailers/distributors. So the subscriber base is actually not all that large. They'll have to be more like WS if they want to grow the ad audience. It'll be interesting to see what happens.


Greg You need to log in to get this.


Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!
 
Posts: 6350 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The last paragragph. Yeah!! Hiring folsk atas employees, and if they don't 'wine critics are a dime a dozen'. DSome are not worth a dime.


Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!
 
Posts: 6350 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
http://www.businessinsider.com...ine-advocate-2012-12


This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)
 
Posts: 12124 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
"...Parker's 100-point rating scale system..."

Is this excerpt to suggest that the universally-accepted rating system originated with this guy?


"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"
 
Posts: 6116 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:


Are these publications really that financially lucrative or is it just some really rich people looking for a hobby?


If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
 
Posts: 462 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like Galloni is the odd man out here...my understanding is that he was a small owner already and got outmanoeuvred by Lisa P-B.......very interesting
 
Posts: 1135 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
quote:


Are these publications really that financially lucrative or is it just some really rich people looking for a hobby?


well, you probably have a full time gig anyway and these publications would allow you access to all the wineries who are dying to get your score, esp if you're WA or WS.

I would say as long as it breaks even the perks outweigh anything else.


This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)
 
Posts: 12124 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I suspect the new company will honor those with subscriptions when the digital version comes out in 2014. This is much ado about very little except for Parker who becomes wealthy enough to retire from contributing
 
Posts: 2764 | Location: Virginia Beach,VA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for the link...I saw one article that mentioned 'shortening the wine reviews,' as well.

Time for just a list of XX/100 ratings and be done with the pretense of buyers actually reading the flavor profiles?

I also like the 'icons' section, which will really help people get down to buying basics.

Devilish


__________________________
__________________________


"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen
 
Posts: 1291 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Tannin:
I suspect the new company will honor those with subscriptions when the digital version comes out in 2014. This is much ado about very little except for Parker who becomes wealthy enough to retire from contributing


Dr. T!! Nice to see you're safely back from your sabbatical. Hope all is well. Smile


___________________________

Cheers!
 
Posts: 8444 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like RMP has made a deal that will allow him to stick with the part of the job he loves the most--tasting and writing about Bordeaux and the Rhone Valley--and sold the rights to everything else for as much $$$$ as he could get.

He's not stupid.

It won't affect me, as I haven't been a subscriber for some years, though.

Maybe Jay Miller will start reviewing all those 98-pointers from the Szechuan province!

Here's another LINK FWIW


Stay thirsty my friends.
 
Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
It sounds to me like RMP has made a deal that will allow him to stick with the part of the job he loves the most--tasting and writing about Bordeaux and the Rhone Valley--and sold the rights to everything else for as much $$$$ as he could get.

He's not stupid.

It won't affect me, as I haven't been a subscriber for some years, though.

Maybe Jay Miller will start reviewing all those 98-pointers from the Szechuan province!

Here's another LINK FWIW


+1 on Parker not stupid, and gets to do what he likes (Rhone) and get a chunk of cash out.

More significant imo, is the shift to the east. Hong Kong buyer of Ch de Gevrey Chambertin http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...ench-wine-grows.html
 
Posts: 1899 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Maybe Rudy Kurniawan is an investor??
 
Posts: 3714 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I think it is an attempt by the Far East to downgrade scores on first growths to lower the prices they have been paying. 2 Cents Smile
 
Posts: 2403 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
Shock today. Retirng,

Not quite. Still covering Bdx, Rhone, Cali retrospectives - same stuff he's currently covering. Getting rid of the administrative duties to do the stuff he enjoys does indicate some decrease in control, but it's hardly retiring...

quote:
selling company,

Anyone see any numbers? My guess is RP remains in control of >50%.

quote:
going digital [end of 2013],

Nothing shocking here. WA is alteady digital. A substantial portion of the coverage is available exclusively to online subscribers, not print. But online access is kludgy, so a PDF version, if that's where they end up going, would be an improvement

quote:
taking ads in mag,

That's not how I'm reading it, will be interesting to see what kind of ads show up, and where. I'm guessing they'll be digital, not print, and not from wineries. More interesting is the possibility that WA will sponsor/host/promote wine tastings. That's a big conflict.

quote:
focusing on Far East

Shedding a light on what's happening there is a good thing. Doing it to the detriment of "mainstream" coverage would not be. I doubt that the major regions will be given short shrift in favor of Chinese wines. But would expect to see more commentary on the Far East market. [/QUOTE]

quote:
Hiring Squires as an employee.

Squires' been an employee for some time. Nothing new there...

Lots of questions remain about what this will really mean. Should be an interesting transition. I use WA less and less but still enjoy reading the vintage reports and TNs on some of my perennial favorites.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DBG,


__________________
David G
 
Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Dec 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBG:
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
Shock today. Retirng,

Not quite. Still covering Bdx, Rhone, Cali retrospectives - same stuff he's currently covering. Getting rid of the administrative duties to do the stuff he enjoys does indicate some decrease in control, but it's hardly retiring...

quote:
selling company,

Anyone see any numbers? My guess is RP remains in control of >50%.

quote:
going digital [end of 2013],

Nothing shocking here. WA is alteady digital. A substantial portion of the coverage is available exclusively to online subscribers, not print. But online access is kludgy, so a PDF version, if that's where they end up going, would be an improvement

quote:
taking ads in mag,

That's not how I'm reading it, will be interesting to see what kind of ads show up, and where. I'm guessing they'll be digital, not print, and not from wineries. More interesting is the possibility that WA will sponsor/host/promote wine tastings. That's a big conflict.

quote:
focusing on Far East

Shedding a light on what's happening there is a good thing. Doing it to the detriment of "mainstream" coverage would not be. I doubt that the major regions will be given short shrift in favor of Chinese wines. But would expect to see more commentary on the Far East market.


quote:
Hiring Squires as an employee.

Squires' been an employee for some time. Nothing new there...

Lots of questions remain about what this will really mean. Should be an interesting transition. I use WA less and less but still enjoy reading the vintage reports and TNs on some of my perennial favorites.[/QUOTE]

The folks are '1099 contractors'. Not an employee of teh company.


Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!
 
Posts: 6350 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
All have been independent contractors for some time. Parker made that clear. Making them employees is a completely different approach. But Lisa pretty much publicly gave them a take it or leave it deal in her comments and then repeated it in her clarification statement - if intentional, it has to have a strategic rationale and if accidental, it was pretty clumsy. I think it was the former though.

Smart move for Bob. The influence has to wane, the travel is a bitch, and the interest on the part of investors isn't going to last forever. As long as he stays on, a lot of people won't care. Once he leaves, they're competing with WS and from a much smaller subscriber base.


"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."
 
Posts: 2623 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:


Smart move for Bob. The influence has to wane, the travel is a bitch, and the interest on the part of investors isn't going to last forever. As long as he stays on, a lot of people won't care. Once he leaves, they're competing with WS and from a much smaller subscriber base.


I could not agree more. Parker was the seminal wine critic and the voice of wine in America for 25 years, and much like Clement Greenberg in the art world years ago, his voice and opinion tilted styles and had undisputed influence far beyond what many wanted to acknowledge.

Like any business or possession, better to sell too soon than too late.
 
Posts: 30129 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
"...Parker's 100-point rating scale system..."

Is this excerpt to suggest that the universally-accepted rating system originated with this guy?


Before Parker, the 100 point system was not the accepted rating system. It is an American system of scoring that has become the norm for many.

I recall the 20 point rating system prior to Parker more than any. It is hard to imagine for the wine enthusiast today that have only had the wine bug for 25 years or less just how much of an influence Parker had. He was the face of American wine, and later became the face for Europe as well for a period of time, much to the consternation of most.
 
Posts: 30129 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Good for Bob. Like em or hate em, can't fault em for capitalizing on his brand. TWA has couple of young stars IMO, Neal Martin and Antonio Galloni who the investors can expand around after Bob.
 
Posts: 1296 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Feb 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
fyi .. if anybody follows him on twitter, he explains his plans in a series of tweets.
 
Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Glad he still wants to do Bordeaux and Rhone. Those were the regions I bought based on his opinions anyway. At least in good vintages the last decade.
 
Posts: 9442 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the story from today's Baltimore Sun.
Front page news here in Baltimore, home of Mr. Parker.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/fe...1210,0,4097827.story

Posted by a lesser known attorney from Baltimore who likes wine.


99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.
 
Posts: 7154 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 


© Wine Spectator 2013