WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    NY Times Article on Somm Wine Terms
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NY Times Article on Somm Wine Terms
 Login/Join 
posted
This was an interesting article about some of the terms that sommeliers in New York use. There were a few terms I had not heard before.

Battle of the Somm

VM

Posts: 12208 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet there are some terms that posters here use for sommeliers that they haven't heard before either.

Well, not to their faces anyway. Smile

Cheers!

Posts: 8361 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank this forum for not calling wines 'spoofulated'.

Malbec is now a cougar wine. Cool.

Posts: 8671 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought Bottle to the Head meant you hit the sommelier with the empty bottle when he looked away? But I could be mistaken....

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3463 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one more reason to seriously avoid "somms" and restaurants with "somms".
The article is an expose of the callous arrogance most people dislike about the profession. It highlights an obvious attitude that seems to permeate the industry. It's the "I know better than you, and what ever you choose,I will look down at you with disdain and elitist contempt. IMO, this position needs a bit of humility and re-assertion of the value of service. "Somms" have generated an ideal of conceit and dis-regard for for the public they serve. It seems they have been dumbed down as worrisome little mice that twitch their noses at every choice the customer makes with some sort of pathetic euphemism or snide definition.

Im sorry that you chose this field of study and that you have to work in such poor conditions. I wish everyone would drink the wines you so desire. I wish the little cafe you have found employment would have a better stocked cellar of small vineyard Rieslings and grand cru Burgundies but it seems that sometimes a customer will actually want something else occasionally. Im sorry you chose such a un-gratifying career.
This is why I seek out BYOB places and restaurants that offer unique and off-centered wine list with out "somms".
The fact is that not only do I know more than most "somms" about wine, but I certainly know more about my palate. So please dont grant me with your world of BS! I would rather eat a hand blown Riedel.. Mad

"A bottle of wine contains more advice then any self help book in the world"

Posts: 1038 | Location: Around Boston | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, sade58 has had a very different experience with somms than I have. My wife and I have dined in a lot of different restaurants over the 10 years that we have been together so I have probably dealt with 100-200 different "somms" and I have never once had a bad experience. I have never had a somm try to force a bottle on me and while I haven't loved every bottle that has been recommended to me, I have enjoyed a high % of them. I have also discovered new wines from somms. Some that are now my favorite wines.

Posts: 6443 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to a few words from GA about the "wine fetchers". Big Grin

I've not dealt with them too often, but have yet to have a "bad" experience. Ultimately, I'm making the choice on what to buy.

Posts: 5405 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Looking forward to a few words from GA about the "wine fetchers". Big Grin

I've not dealt with them too often, but have yet to have a "bad" experience. Ultimately, I'm making the choice on what to buy.
Not....going....to....rise....to....that....bait.

All I want from a Somm, the real ones and the vast majority of fake ones, is to open my bottle, don't steal a drink from it, leave it on the table and go away.

You knew I couldn't resist, didn't you. Cool

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sade58:
one more reason to seriously avoid restaurants with "somms". ... Are you serious? You just eliminated every great restaurant I have ever enjoyed.

This is why I seek out BYOB places... I also enjoy BYOB restaurants, but I enjoy great restaurants and 99%+ of them are not BYOB.

Posts: 30038 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Wow, sade58 has had a very different experience with somms than I have. My wife and I have dined in a lot of different restaurants over the 10 years that we have been together so I have probably dealt with 100-200 different "somms" and I have never once had a bad experience. I have never had a somm try to force a bottle on me and while I haven't loved every bottle that has been recommended to me, I have enjoyed a high % of them. I have also discovered new wines from somms. Some that are now my favorite wines.

Glenn, I'm curious. Under what circumstances do you allow/seek a sommelier to select a wine for you?

Posts: 30038 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
All I want from a Somm, the real ones and the vast majority of fake ones, is to open my bottle, don't steal a drink from it, leave it on the table and go away.

+1 Just stay away from me. I'm also a N.P. I'll pour when I want. Don't rush me through the bottle. That is why they keep filling the glass.

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6282 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know of one sommelier Longboarder and I always look forward to seeing. Cool

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

Glenn, I'm curious. Under what circumstances do you allow/seek a sommelier to select a wine for you?
Oh I do it all the time but it depends on the restaurant. If it’s a restaurant where the “somm” is really just a wine fetcher I don’t seek advice, but when we are at a restaurant with a proper wine program I will more often than not seek their advice on something that I have not tried. I look at going out to a place with a great wine list as a chance to try something new and rarely order something that I have had before. I don’t read much about wine or research wine like I did when I first got into this hobby and to be honest wine is way down on my passions these days after family, food, travel, golf, etc. So going out to restaurants and trying something new is part of my wine education. I have friends that just read and read and read about wine, but don’t drink the wines. My brain doesn’t work like that. I need to pop corks and drink a wine with a meal to start to understand the region.

My favorite part of wine these days is discovering the small producers from more obscure regions and a good somm is very helpful in that situation. For example, a couple of years ago in the south of france a really good somm recommended a 1990 Mas De Daumas Gassac. I had never heard of the wine and at that point did not know much about the Languedoc. The wine was absolutely fantastic and started me down the path of learning more about the region. First time I tried a Domaine de Trevallon wine was again the 1990 and it was Rajat Parr at Michael Mina that recommended it to me. The wine was great and paired perfectly with what I was eating. The first time I had a Dagueneau wine was because of a somm recommendation and just a couple of years ago I was in Vegas and a somm recommended a Littorai pinot to pair with the salmon I ordered. I told him I did not like CA pinot and was thinking of going with a burg but he insisted and said he would take the bottle back if I didn’t like it. Littorai is now one of my favorite producers in the world and is what really started me down the path of exploring CA more than I ever would have otherwise. I have many other examples like that.

Of course there have been some bad bottles but they have really been in the minority and again even though the wine was bad it was still a learning experience. Maybe I have been lucky, but I think as long as you communicate well with the somm and it’s a real somm managing a serious wine program, than they truly want you to have a good experience. Plus I am big into food and wine pairings and a good somm can really nail this with wine I would not have thought of otherwise.

Posts: 6443 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plus I am big into food and wine pairings and a good somm can really nail this with wine I would not have thought of otherwise.

Especially if they work closely with the chef and know the ingredients, spicing, perparation etc. This is more easily accomplished with half bottles per diner or if the group is very small and eating similar food.

PH

Posts: 15030 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Glenn.

Do you ask their personal palate preferences, and do you wait until you have selected from the menu before seeking input?

posted Hide Post
My normal routine at a place with a nice list is to order a bottle of still water (no ice in the glass), a glass of champagne or a cocktail to enjoy while reviewing the menus, make our food selections, then I’ll start reviewing the wine list to find 4-5 choices or regions that I’m interested in trying and that I think might work with the food and then I seek input from the somm. I tell them my palate preferences, but don’t ask for their preferences. Sometimes I’ll give them some reference bottles that are on the list that I have enjoyed in the past so they have some idea of what I like. This process seems to work most of the time for me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
My normal routine at a place with a nice list is to order a bottle of still water (no ice in the glass), a glass of champagne or a cocktail to enjoy while reviewing the menus, make our food selections, then I’ll start reviewing the wine list to find 4-5 choices or regions that I’m interested in trying and that I think might work with the food and then I seek input from the somm. I tell them my palate preferences, but don’t ask for their preferences. Sometimes I’ll give them some reference bottles that are on the list that I have enjoyed in the past so they have some idea of what I like. This process seems to work most of the time for me.

Got it, thanks....and never any ice in my water!

posted Hide Post
I had dinner at Le Crocodile in Vancouver ( thanks Seaquam) and they had so many wines from Alsace I did not know. As soon as I saw their stemware for their wines from Alsace I knew they were serious about the region.

This is the only restaurant outside of Alsace I have ever seen such stemware. I had the somm select each wine for their tasting menu, and I was impressed.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I know of one sommelier Longboarder and I always look forward to seeing. Cool

i hope to join you guys on this one!

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11874 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This has been my experience as well.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6577 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
quote:

+1 Just stay away from me. I'm also a N.P. I'll pour when I want. Don't rush me through the bottle. That is why they keep filling the glass.

While I don't agree with your take on sommeliers, I will agree that I absolutely despise it when the waiters(more often than Somms) keeping pouring wine into an already filled glass so as to persuade you to drink faster so you can order another bottle!

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6577 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
.....I absolutely despise it when the waiters(more often than Somms) keeping pouring wine into an already filled glass so as to persuade you to drink faster so you can order another bottle!

This does not happen when I'm dining. I politely let the server know that we'd prefer to pour our own wine.

PH

Posts: 15030 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I politely let the server know that we'd prefer to pour our own wine.

PH

Or I signal them when to stop pouring. I have one request from the sommelier(e)/pest- please stay away. I nether want nor need your services.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36770 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After the initial pour, I'm a NP, but I have never had any problem with any somm when I have politely asked that they allow me to do the pouring from then on.

It has been my experience that somms are anxious to help a diner choose a wine that is within the budget and will complement the food. I have never had a terrible experience with a somm, and I eat out a lot and being of somewhat advanced age, have been doing so for a long time. In fact I've had more instances where the somm has suggested something else that was either the same price or lower priced and excellent than I've had where the somm tried to upsell me.

As to the terms used, they are some of the same ones we used as servers when I was a waiter in the 70s. Of course, Cougar Juice is a new one on me, but I love it.

When in doubt, open another bottle.

Posts: 2607 | Location: Silver Spring MD (Near DC) | Registered: Nov 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

This does not happen when I'm dining. I politely let the server know that we'd prefer to pour our own wine.

PH

Absolutely, positively!