WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wine Tasting party (blind) question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine Tasting party (blind) question
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi all! I am new to this site. My husband and I LOVE LOVE wine- born and raised in Napa (when it was still very much "redneck" Wink

We do wine tasting parties every year but this one is much much bigger..

We do a blind tasting- 6 different wines- all red. ranging from $2 to $100. I have a score sheet etc

I am looking for some realy good suggestions for the cheap wines- It would be great to fool people- it's always fun!

Also, does anyone know if there is a white wine that someone could confuse for a red wine? We are going to put a white and red in cups- blind fold.. this will be after the other wine so hoping tastebuds will be tired Wink

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot or if it's not something you all are interested in.. just would love some input from other wino's.

Thank you! Party is Saturday- need to get mywines!

C~

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In terms of finding a red wine that might get confused as a white, and vice versa, you really need to look at the tannin profile. The red will need more polished or less obvious tannins,. A higher acidity would also be a key attribute in a red. It's hard to hide the fruit character, though. My best suggestion would be a lighter style pinot, such as you rarely see in California. The white would have to be a heavier wine, and I can think of nothing more suitable than Chardonnay, with some oak and extraction. California has those. I have heard it said that the neighboring Burgundian vineyards of Meursault (Chard) and Volnay (Pinot) come as close to being indistinguishable as red and white can get, so you might look in that direction.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds fun.

A few years ago, my firm had a guest speaker come and talk wine with us (I believe he was a sommelier). It was pretty basic wine stuff, but he brought a black tasting glass with him and passed it around with some wine in it. He asked us all to guess whether it was a red or a white. The room was about 50/50, and I guessed white. It turns out, it was the plonk merlot served at the bar. I, being far geekier at the time than most there, was shocked (and humbled).

My point is, try and get your hands on some black tasting glasses (check these out), and it can be really, very tough. Now, granted, he used a very generic tasting and smelling wine, but I think it would be tough either way.

I'd get the black glasses, and get a rich, Cali viognier, and a subtle, fruity Merlot.

Cheers!

Posts: 2900 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15115 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robin has a good palate. He lives here in Louisville.

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5002 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Robin has a good great palate. He lives here in Louisville.

Posts: 30126 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

I enjoy him. He brings a very unpretentious angle to wine.

PH

Posts: 15115 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

I enjoy him. He brings a very unpretentious angle to wine.

PH

I enjoyed a wine dinner with him and several from his forum in 2001. (?)

His forum follows tend to enjoy the wines I prefer also. One of the active people on Robin's forum is a guy named Hoke. Had several off-lines with him, and he is a fun guy.

Posts: 30126 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post