WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Odd/Funny Tasting notes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd/Funny Tasting notes
 Login/Join 
posted
I think there have been other threads before showing strange tasting notes from CT or other forums but I couldn’t find one after a quick search. Like most here, I don’t put much weight into CT notes, but this one caught my eye this morning Smile:

Tasted by XXXX on 11/28/2010: What I would describe as the perfect restaurant Cabernet. Perfectly fine, if not complex. Sweet fruit and round oak. A little chocolate. This was a gift -- my wife and mother-in-law thought it was really good. If retails for $35-40, well, I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger. Again, there was nothing wrong with this and I'm perfectly happy to drink it if someone else is buying. For the W and MIL, I think I'll pick up a few bottles of Amancaya at half the price and put the rest towards something a little more up my alley. Hope that doesn't sound too selfish, but I just don't think it matters that much to them. This is the hard part of wine buying/drinking, when the tastes of constant tablemates differ from mine. On the flip side, 20-25% of what I own is German Riesling, mostly Mosel but with some Pfalz as well, mostly Spatlese, but some with less ripeness. Except for the Kabinett Halbtrocken, my wife doesn't care for it. Still working on striking the right balance. (219 views)

haha. a little wordy if you ask me Big Grin

Posts: 6441 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't need to stray from this site if you're looking for other-worldly, funny, or odd tasting notes, though there aren't nearly as many lately. They get particularly good late at night.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36768 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Tasted by XXXX on 11/28/2010: What I would describe as the perfect restaurant Cabernet. Perfectly fine, if not complex. Sweet fruit and round oak. A little chocolate. This was a gift -- my wife and mother-in-law thought it was really good. If retails for $35-40, well, I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger. Again, there was nothing wrong with this and I'm perfectly happy to drink it if someone else is buying. For the W and MIL, I think I'll pick up a few bottles of Amancaya at half the price and put the rest towards something a little more up my alley. Hope that doesn't sound too selfish, but I just don't think it matters that much to them. This is the hard part of wine buying/drinking, when the tastes of constant tablemates differ from mine. On the flip side, 20-25% of what I own is German Riesling, mostly Mosel but with some Pfalz as well, mostly Spatlese, but some with less ripeness. Except for the Kabinett Halbtrocken, my wife doesn't care for it. Still working on striking the right balance. (219 views)

haha. a little wordy if you ask me Big Grin

Fixed Smile

Posts: 15439 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to guess ADHD.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2878 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a lot better than "tastes like a$$ with a side of a$$".

Smile

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9635 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a kick out of this last week,

Tasted by XXXXX on 11/25/2010 & rated 91 points: only way to get through Thanksgiving with the inlaws. Thanks Caymus

Posts: 150 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Apr 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VanCityWino:

Tasted by XXXXX on 11/25/2010 & rated 91 points: only way to get through Thanksgiving with the inlaws. Thanks Caymus

Big Grin

Posts: 740 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mocha on the mid palate!!

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Berno:
Mocha on the mid palate!!

Hey Robert, how come he can say that and I can't? Big Grin

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36768 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eric LeVine:
quote:
Originally posted by VanCityWino:

Big Grin

+1

Posts: 6439 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found this on CellarTracker:

"sufficiently young to make my molar fillings ache."

I've had enough dental work this year that this comment hits close to home!

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favourite remains, "soiled leather thong".

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5659 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday Glenn!

Posts: 1769 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another great tasting note. Sounds delicious Smile

2005 Château Carbonnieux Blanc
Tasted by XXX on 1/27/2011 & rated 92 points: 50+5+12+17+8=92

Posts: 6441 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From CT today about the 2004 Ucceliera Brunello di Montalcino:

quote:
Popped & poured. On the nose, this is very lactated at first. As it opens up, you can smell delicious sour cherries. On the palate, you can feel the youth of this wine...it's really rich, poised and complex but still tight. I'm going to hold my other bottles for many years.

Very lactated? Huh?

Posts: 10842 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:

quote:
Popped & poured. On the nose, this is very lactated at first. As it opens up, you can smell delicious sour cherries. On the palate, you can feel the youth of this wine...it's really rich, poised and complex but still tight. I'm going to hold my other bottles for many years.

Very lactated? Huh?

Should have just said, so young it made my nipples squirt.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Berno:
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:

quote:

Very lactated? Huh?

Should have just said, so young it made my nipples squirt.

I'd love to meet the woman that made that wine... Wink

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6770 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Calera Mills:
Tasted by XXXXX on 2/7/2011: Well worth the suicidal hangover achieved by drinking it. From magnum. Just a baby.

Posts: 2734 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's one for the 2005 Shafer Relentless:
3/26/2011 & rated 89 points: Still a bit young and harsh up front. Consumed at a local restaurant. I was disappointed in the lack of a midpalate or finish. No real layers to this Syrah (88%) / Petite Syrah (22%) blend. Overpriced at the restaurant.
This wine gave 110% and you trounced it, man!!!!

posted Hide Post
A couple off CT that I read today:

2001 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Cascina Francia
quote:
Rough night for this bottle. Maybe needed a decant. I thought it smelled fishy but then decided it was roses but it still smelled off to me. Others disagreed. 89 points

Even better (worse?):

2004 La Poderina Brunello di Montalcino
quote:
It was a nice bottle if you decant for two days. I left the unattended half in the freezer and it became wonderful. 92 points

Brunello popsicle, anyone?

Posts: 10842 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Stefania Eaglepoint Syrah:
" I guess I just don't like CA Syrah.... but wine wise, well made wine."

Smack This is as useful as giving it a score without any comments.

Posts: 5093 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found the following on winephantom.wordpress.com Check it out there's more.

The tasting note says;
“The terroir affords a luxurious, farmyardy tone, with a meaty background punctuated by overripe stewed fruit”
What it actually means;
“There is a pong of overused Wellingtons on a warm, damp day, adding to the distinctive whiff of freshly broken wind…”

Chiv

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"My Mom doesnt like it, and she knows a lot about cheap, white wine."

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3463 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"After decanting, the wine was quite concentrated and when close my eyes and smelling it's aromas, it feels like I am at the middle of a grassland, facing the wind, smelling fresh glass, fruit, just like I have been return from a battlefield with glory."

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3463 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"smelling fresh glass"
I assume he meant grass.

One I ran across.

"I drank all twelve bottles"
That was the entire note, no elaboration.

Same reviewer.

"I can't remember, I probably didn't like it."

Posts: 2286 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post