WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2005 Columbia Crest Reserve Cabernet?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2005 Columbia Crest Reserve Cabernet?
 Login/Join 
posted
The most recent WS Insider (11/26/08) gave this $27 wine a very favorable review and 95 points (see below). I'm eager to try it, figuring that even if Harvey Steiman erred on the side of generosity, it should be a good QPR buy. BUT, I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone KNOW (as opposed to assuming or guessing) whether this wine has been released? Has anyone here tasted it, and if so, what was your opinion?

Here's the review:

Columbia Crest Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley Reserve 2005
95 points | $27 | 6,000 cases made | Red
Ripe in favor, with a vivid array of black currant, blackberry, violet, black tea and black pepper aromas and favors that zoom through to a long, expressive finish. Shows subtlety in the layers of complex favor against a refined structure. Tannins are present but nicely contained. Best from 2010 through 2015. From Washington.—H.S.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Oct 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been released.

The Dallas distributor has 200 cases in inventory.

FYI, the 2004 is pretty tasty.

Posts: 30348 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The '03 as well.

Looks like we have our first WOTY candidate.

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
It has been released.

The Dallas distributor has 200 cases in inventory.

FYI, the 2004 is pretty tasty.

What he said. Tasted it a little over an hour ago at a retail tasting. The retailer I frequent bought 60 cases of the stuff. They're swimming in it.

BTW, I liked it. It's pretty dang good for the money. Don't know if I'd go 95 points like Harvey did but it's definitely a 90+ point wine for the low $20s after discount. Good QPR here.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13651 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have looked in multiple stores with no luck in San Jose, CA. I did find the 2004 @ the Wine Club in Santa Clara but none of the 2005.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Nov 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even wine-searcher.com has no entries for the 05.

Posts: 1704 | Location: Just outside Philadelphia, Pa. | Registered: Feb 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
K and L has it on their "coming soon/wait list" for $24.99.

Posts: 837 | Location: Carlsbad | Registered: Apr 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent an hour today and could not find it. I did find the 03 and 04 for as low as $19.95 per.

Posts: 1437 | Location: Land of the Sick Cab Weekend | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Whine-oh. You da man. I am picking up my case before Christmas.

JT

Posts: 18 | Location: Foster City, CA | Registered: Oct 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just purchased (6) bottles from K&L.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Nov 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waiting for confirmation but purchased 24 from K&L this morning. Price including shipping was like $28.

Posts: 1437 | Location: Land of the Sick Cab Weekend | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just in case y'all have not seen it, Costco has it for 19.99 a bottle. I just stacked up... Big Grin

Here is to great wines, expensive watches and... "low" APR credit cards...

Posts: 169 | Location: San Anton, TX | Registered: Jan 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vinters:
Just in case y'all have not seen it, Costco has it for 19.99 a bottle. I just stacked up... Big Grin

Did you get the item number?

http://scmwine.info

Posts: 7218 | Location: Santa Clara Valley AVA | Registered: Jul 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Tong BBP:
Did you get the item number?

I did! Sorry. Item Number is: 437037

Here is to great wines, expensive watches and... "low" APR credit cards...

Posts: 169 | Location: San Anton, TX | Registered: Jan 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The winery has this in stock. Case price is $22.95 per bottle, and half-case is $24.30 per bottle. The winery currently has a one-cent shipping deal, or 50% off 2-day or overnight shipping. They do, however, charge sales tax.

Here's the link: ORDER

Click on ALL WINES, then on RESERVE.

BE SURE TO ENTER THE SHIPPING DISCOUNT CODE BEFORE PLACING YOUR ORDER! The code is at the top of the page, and there's a link to the right for entering it.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug. I grabbed a few. Why not with that type of deal?

Posts: 1791 | Location: NC | Registered: May 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i tried to grab some, but they won't ship anywhere! With the extra cost of double or triple shipping - it just isn't worth it.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
i tried to grab some, but they won't ship anywhere! With the extra cost of double or triple shipping - it just isn't worth it.

Don't you have family in my town? If you are coming this why any time soon, I will see if I can adjust my order and hold them for you until you can get up here. I am happy to do it, just let me know.

Posts: 1791 | Location: NC | Registered: May 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your view of "anywhere" is somewhat limited. Here's what the winery's site says about shipping locations:

Shipping Destinations
State laws restrict or prevent shipping wine directly to consumers in some states. We are able to ship wine purchased over the internet to the states listed in the table below. Deliveries can only be made to physical addresses. We cannot ship to Post Office boxes or APO/FPO addresses. Some states restrict the amount a consumer can have shipped from a winery. The information below is a summary of the quantities we can ship.

Alaska* (No Limit)
California (No Limit)
Colorado
Connecticut (2 cases/60 days)
DC (1 case/month)
Florida
Hawaii* (3 cases/year)
Idaho (2 cases/month)
Iowa (2 cases/month)
Minnesota (2 cases/year)
Missouri (2 cases/year)
Nebraska (1 cases/month)
New Hampshire* ( 6 cases/year)
New Mexico (2 cases/month)
New York (36 cases/year)
Nevada (12 cases/year)
North Carolina (2 cases/month)
North Dakota (3 cases/month)
Oregon (2 cases/month)
South Carolina (2 cases/month)
Texas* (15 bottles/30 days)
Vermont (12 cases/year)
Virginia (2 cases/month)
Washington (No Limit)
West Virginia (2 cases/month)
Wisconsin (12 cases/year)
Wyoming (2 cases/year)

*Alaska, Hawaii, New Hampshire: Shipment permitted only to certain “wet” areas. Call (800) 267-6793
** If shipping to an address in WA State, actual tax charges may differ from shown amount once the shipping address is reconciled in our system. Please click here for additional information.
If your state is not listed above and you believe you can legally receive wine shipments in your state, please call us at 888-617-WINE (9463), M-F, 10-5PST.

posted Hide Post
Grabbed a 6 pack...thanks for the tip Doug! Cool

Posts: 489 | Location: Morgan Hill, CA | Registered: Jun 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RDCollins:
quote:

Your view of "anywhere" is somewhat limited. Here's what the winery's site says about shipping locations:

Shipping Destinations
State laws restrict or prevent shipping wine directly to consumers in some states. We are able to ship wine purchased over the internet to the states listed in the table below. Deliveries can only be made to physical addresses. We cannot ship to Post Office boxes or APO/FPO addresses. Some states restrict the amount a consumer can have shipped from a winery. The information below is a summary of the quantities we can ship.

Alaska* (No Limit)
California (No Limit)
Colorado
Connecticut (2 cases/60 days)
DC (1 case/month)
Florida
Hawaii* (3 cases/year)
Idaho (2 cases/month)
Iowa (2 cases/month)
Minnesota (2 cases/year)
Missouri (2 cases/year)
Nebraska (1 cases/month)
New Hampshire* ( 6 cases/year)
New Mexico (2 cases/month)
New York (36 cases/year)
Nevada (12 cases/year)
North Carolina (2 cases/month)
North Dakota (3 cases/month)
Oregon (2 cases/month)
South Carolina (2 cases/month)
Texas* (15 bottles/30 days)
Vermont (12 cases/year)
Virginia (2 cases/month)
Washington (No Limit)
West Virginia (2 cases/month)
Wisconsin (12 cases/year)
Wyoming (2 cases/year)

*Alaska, Hawaii, New Hampshire: Shipment permitted only to certain “wet” areas. Call (800) 267-6793
** If shipping to an address in WA State, actual tax charges may differ from shown amount once the shipping address is reconciled in our system. Please click here for additional information.
If your state is not listed above and you believe you can legally receive wine shipments in your state, please call us at 888-617-WINE (9463), M-F, 10-5PST.

fair enough doug - I was expressing frustration that they do not ship to states that I have normally have shipped into (since it is next to impossible to ship into Tennessee). I normally ship to Ohio and New Orleans. I have also shipped to Georgia, Illinois and Michigan all of which are not on CC's shipping list.

I might take Keeno up on his offer - I need to check with my uncle and find out when he is coming to Nashville next.

G

BTW - Doug - thanks for posting the offer - my cousin in LA is picking up a few bottles too. I'd ship to him, but he would drink them all!

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
fair enough doug - I was expressing frustration that they do not ship to states that I have normally have shipped into (since it is next to impossible to ship into Tennessee). I normally ship to Ohio and New Orleans. I have also shipped to Georgia, Illinois and Michigan all of which are not on CC's shipping list.

I might take Keeno up on his offer - I need to check with my uncle and find out when he is coming to Nashville next.

G

BTW - Doug - thanks for posting the offer - my cousin in LA is picking up a few bottles too. I'd ship to him, but he would drink them all!

Did you call the phone number listed to talk with them about shipping to any of those states? If so, what did they say?

posted Hide Post
thirsty man:

I am going to be out tonight at a Christmas party. If you decide you want some, it may be "cleaner" if you order them yourself and ship to my address. I can e-mail that to you if necessary (I will have access to e-mail tonight). Just let me know and I will post it.

posted Hide Post
I feel your pain thirsty man. It's a rare winery that will ship to Oklahoma.

Posts: 28 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: Dec 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RDCollins:
quote:

G

Did you call the phone number listed to talk with them about shipping to any of those states? If so, what did they say?

left a message (after going through a phone tree from hell)- no return call yet. I know there is no problem shipping to New Orleans or Ohio and am surprised that they do not ship there. Hopefully I will hear back shortly that they can ship to one of those places.

G