WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Downtown SF Retailers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Downtown SF Retailers?
 Login/Join 
posted
I will be in SF for a week, but no access to a car and will be in meetings most of the days.

Any suggestions on local retailers with good selection/prices downtown, I will be in the Union Square area.

I'm looking for retailers with knowledge to give me a sense of off the beaten path juice that I may not be able to get at my retailers here in DC.

Posts: 709 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: Oct 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out K&L - http://www.klwines.com
and the Wine Club - http://www.thewineclub.com

http://scmwine.info

Posts: 7218 | Location: Santa Clara Valley AVA | Registered: Jul 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the Jug Shop is an institution in north beach
1567 Pacific Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94109
800.404.9548, 415.885.2922

they are not as professional as k&l (no fun)

or relevant as wine club (annoying)

but worth the time to visit... ask for chuck

Napa Valley Winery Exchange has california rarities at premium prices
415 Taylor St.
San Francisco, CA 94102

PlumpJack Wine Store is owned by gavin newsom (mayor of sf) & billy getty (the billionaire)
3201 Fillmore St.
San Francisco, CA 94123
888.415.9463, 415.346.9870
the cafe is good luck getting a reservation

Posts: 624 | Location: dolores park | Registered: Aug 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The posters above hit the best, my only complaint with the Jug Shop is that it's not temperature controlled. So, to me, the wine cooks in the summer (like today). The Wine Club in SF is a cinder block bldg that is like going to a garage sale with wine in cardboard boxes with good prices. Plumpjack has a limited selection. K&L has the most upscale venue with good prices. All can be reached within a 5 minute cab ride from Union Square.

For tastings, you may want to hit the SF Ferry Plaza Wine Merchants at the Ferry Bldg. Also, the California Wine Merchant on 2113 Chestnut Street in the Marina. If you're near the Museum of Modern Art on 3rd, right around the corner is VinoVenue, a self pour automated wine bar. I personally have not found anything interesting to taste there, but the concept is cool. Also, there is the London Wine Bar on 415 Sansome Steet. I have't been for awhile but it is the oldest wine bar in SF.

FYI, these tastings are daily.

"When I drink, I think; and when I think, I drink." Francois Rabelais

Posts: 3542 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a similar thread, do any of you bay area folks know if the Plumpjack Cafe still prices the wines on their wine list at the same price as the retail liqour shop? The list seemed pretty reasonably priced for a restaurant when I was there a few years ago.

-----------------------

www.VinoCritic.Com

Posts: 999 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Mar 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forget the Cab ride, WALK toward the Ferry Building. From Union Square just go East on Post or Bush Street a few blocks to Market Steet and turn left (NE) and it runs straight through the finacial district and ends up right at the Ferry Terminal. It is a short 15 minute walk but well worth the effort with savoir-faire in earnest. Once you arrive at the terminal you will be greeted by a stunning view of San Francisco Bay, the Bay Bridge, Yerba Buena Island and the Oakland Hills. Inside you will find the Wine Merchant and a rather solid selection. All things considered this is your best choice.

Posts: 686 | Location: Sonoma County | Registered: Feb 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sfiorare:
the Jug Shop

Make sure to ask for Chuck - one of the best palates in California.

Posts: 6988 | Location: ]0^0[ | Registered: Aug 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Joe:
...the Plumpjack Cafe still prices the wines on their wine list at the same price as the retail liqour shop?

I just ate there the other week. I haven't been to the wine shop in a while. The prices were good, but higher than retail.

-----
http://www.MichaelStajer.com

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We'll be in San Francisco next month and so I thought I'd bump this to see what the latest recommendations are. I'm looking for older Bordeaux and California Cabs. Thanks!

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1377 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If only TPE didn't hate us....

Posts: 5002 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No change:

Wine Club
K&L...

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7637 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
K&L is one of the best stores I have ever been to nation-wide

Napa Valley wine exchange has a good selection, but they are always snobby and make one feel like they should be thankful that the store is taking their money

Posts: 231 | Registered: Jun 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought a few things online from the San Francisco Wine Trading Co., at Taraval Street & Funston. Never actually been there. Does anyone have an eyes-on impression?

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6820 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
I have bought a few things online from the San Francisco Wine Trading Co., at Taraval Street & Funston. Never actually been there. Does anyone have an eyes-on impression?

Great little store. Chadderdon wines. And olive oil and Cognac. Really nice owners. Big approval here. Prices can be a little steep, though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:

Great little store. Chadderdon wines. And olive oil and Cognac. Really nice owners. Big approval here. Prices can be a little steep, though.

Smaller boutiques can be like that, but prices are relative. Bought some Rittenhouse rye from them recently. The total for 3 bottles, including shipping, was less than I would pay for 2 bottles here. Presuming I could find it here, which I can't.

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6820 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:
We'll be in San Francisco next month and so I thought I'd bump this to see what the latest recommendations are. I'm looking for older Bordeaux and California Cabs. Thanks!

You can order from K&L ahead of time online for pick-up. That allows you to secure some specific wines, including from their other two locations.

Posts: 1780 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:

Smaller boutiques can be like that, but prices are relative. Bought some Rittenhouse rye from them recently. The total for 3 bottles, including shipping, was less than I would pay for 2 bottles here. Presuming I could find it here, which I can't.

Agreed. SFTWC is an incredible store and highly recommended. I have found everything there to be fairly priced, just not the screaming deals you can find at, say, K&L on occasion.

Another outstanding SF store for terroir-driven wines is Arlequin. Really special place. Rosenthal selections abound.

And, of course, my friend (who I really need to e-mail, I haven't spoken to her since moving away just over a year ago) owns Biondivino which is a world-class Italian-centric wine store in Russian Hill.

posted Hide Post
I have bought from Golden Gate Wine Cellars online. They are located here:
2337 Ocean Ave San Francisco, CA 94127
(415) 337-4083
No affiliation...

Posts: 487 | Location: Morgan Hill, CA | Registered: Jun 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yogi8938:
I have bought from Golden Gate Wine Cellars online. They are located here:
2337 Ocean Ave San Francisco, CA 94127
(415) 337-4083
No affiliation...

I've ordered from Golden Gate before. Frank (if my memory is correct) is a great guy. He carries a lot of low production wines from California. You'll need a car to get to his place or multiple bus transfers.

Posts: 5158 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations. Really enjoyed K&L. Great people, fantastic selection. I can't believe that's their smallest store! Wine Club was kinda fun, but with the no frills approach, I wish I had gone there first before K&L! I also stumbled upon a place called Plumpjack in Noe Valley where I found a 375 mL 2004 Clos des Papes. I'm always searching for good half bottles. Speaking of which, Arlequin had a tremendous selection of old world wines in 375, but by that time I'd reached my limit. Had lunch on their beautiful garden patio. Must go back soon!

P.S. I was impressed by the selection at Whole Foods. I'm still a bit shocked when I see wine being sold in grocery stores. They have arcane rules against that here. They force the grocery stores to sell wine in a next-door detached building.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1377 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yhn:
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:

You can order from K&L ahead of time online for pick-up. That allows you to secure some specific wines, including from their other two locations.

Good advice - and may the lower the % chance that one will spend an entire day/paycheck inside one of K&L's stores.

Posts: 231 | Registered: Jun 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post