Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2006 Bordeaux
 Login/Join 
posted
Anyone interested 2006 Bordeaux? With great skepticism, I have already heard from a number of Bordeaux wine producers that they think they have produced something as good or even better than 2005....

Posts: 969 | Registered: Dec 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Notice what number the posting has....scary.

posted Hide Post
Great, now I can go broke 2 years back to back.

------
godx

Posts: 520 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Nov 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So James, does this mean another huge price rise? How do they have the vintage of the century every year?

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”—Winston Churchill”

Posts: 3470 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Sep 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in wines that are 87 to 92 points from $8 to $40. I wonder how much they are going to raise prices, and when people are going to get disgusted. Also now that 2000, 2003, 2005 and now 2006 are "Vinatge of the Centuries" perhaps that will become the norm and prices will steady.

Posts: 8637 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Suckling:
Anyone interested 2006 Bordeaux?

Not me. I have little interest in anything French.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless I win the lotto, I am out. When market forces equilibrate and prices soften, I will get back in. My prediction is that it will take a couple back to back horrific years to knock prices back down where they belong.

If I had 800 bucks to blow on wine tomorrow, and you offered me a bottle of 2005 Latour futures versus an on the shelf bottle of Penfold's Grange plus a bottle of Araujo cab plus a Valdicava Brunello AND a Fescobaldi Castelgiocondo Riserva, then throw in a bottle of Beacastel, I'd take the 5 bottle variety pack any day of the week!

Would anyone here choose differently?

-----------------------

www.VinoCritic.Com

Posts: 999 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Mar 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
With great skepticism, I have already heard from a number of Bordeaux wine producers that they think they have produced something as good or even better than 2005....

Please pass my congratulations on to them. They are the Mercedes of the wine world. I'll continue to buy Honda with the odd smattering of Acura.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Anyone interested 2006 Bordeaux?

Not me. I have little interest in anything French.

Can I have your bordeaux and rhone cellared bottles then? Smile

It'd create some room! Razz

ETA: Even in less than 'perfect' vintages, I still think that it is acceptable to expect the top chateaus to produce phenomenal wines. They have the money/ability to be selective in their grapes. A true great vintage is when the lower chateaus can make great wines.

Posts: 1420 | Location: Jersey City | Registered: Feb 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone interested 2006 Bordeaux? With great skepticism, I have already heard from a number of Bordeaux wine producers that they think they have produced something as good or even better than 2005....

What a shock! Stop the presses!! Call the New York Times! Bordeaux has announced, to the Wine Spectator, another miracle vintage!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Give me a break. James, how can you make this statement with a straight typewriter?

Given the raping that the Bordeleis have perpetrated on the wine-buying public in 2005, I plan to buy zero. They can keep it.

Now, why isn't the Wine Spectator reporting on that?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipeau,

Posts: 437 | Location: "Under a Western Sky" | Registered: Feb 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the key to his statement is "with great skepticism". Sounds to me like the French have come up with a great marketing scheme to cope with the backlash suffered after 9/11. And now they are sticking it to Bordeaux buffs by picking their wallets clean and enjoying every minute of it. Great capitalism. They are doing nothing different than all these cult cab producers here are, IMO.

Posts: 398 | Registered: Nov 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jasong:
And now they are sticking it to Bordeaux buffs by picking their wallets clean and enjoying every minute of it. Great capitalism.

The Bordeleis, or the Wine Spectator who runs on their advertising? Sorry, but WS is treading on thin credibility with this nonesense. Perhaps they should consider advocating for the wine consumer for a change?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipeau,

Posts: 437 | Location: "Under a Western Sky" | Registered: Feb 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As new as I am to the enjoyment and collection of fine wine, the recent "circumstances" with French wine - especially the prices push me further and further away from even considering anything French unless it is a super QPR.

Way too much good wine elsewhere in the world for a person my age to worry about laying down wine that needs 10+ years.

Cool

Posts: 976 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In all fairness, Pipeau, I think the post indicates a certain significant amount of scepticism regarding the claim.

----------
I've got a few bottles of the Old Winyards left. 1296 - very good year. Almost as old as I am, it was laid down by my father. What say we open one, eh?

Posts: 469 | Location: Middle Earth | Registered: Oct 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Bordeaux, but given we now have 3 vintages of the century in 7 years (00, 05 and now 06) I think it is safe to say that falling for the hype is a fools game. There are so many excellent Bordeaux wines available at $30-80 that I can just wait until the wines are released, attend a few tastings and make the picks myself. Why tie up money with futures for 2006 when I can go out and buy excellent Bordeaux from the 2000 vintage RIGHT NOW that I KNOW are excellent and cost less?

PS- this does not mean I do not appreciate what you do James. But futures? Nope.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my god, is it "The Vintage of the Century?" Boy, never heard this song before. 7 years into the 21st century, and already 4 vintages of the century! Get ready for $1000 first growths. I heard 2007 is going to be better than 2000, 2003, 2005, and 2006 combined!

Posts: 1478 | Location: Lincoln NE | Registered: Jul 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pipeau. May be you should take a cold shower. I said that some have said this to me. I don't believe them and I was in Bordeaux for the harvest so I saw how inconsistent the grapes were. Anyway, I have to taste from barrel in a few weeks. May be you should just post somewhere else...

posted Hide Post
James, you think they're telling you this because they might not be able to sell of their 2006 wines in view of what happened with the 2005 vintage? What should the release prices be, comparable to 2004? Maybe 2003?
Cheers, Guus

Posts: 45 | Registered: Nov 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and...have you recovered from your Merlot-overload this weekend?
Guus

Posts: 45 | Registered: Nov 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's hard to say. But they know that it's going to be hard to sell 2006, no matter the quality. It is going need to sell for a lot less than 2005 to get any interest from the market.

Yes, I am just coming around from my Merlot OD. Great tasting though of Le Pin.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipeau:
quote:
Originally posted by Jasong:
And now they are sticking it to Bordeaux buffs by picking their wallets clean and enjoying every minute of it. Great capitalism.

The Bordeleis, or the Wine Spectator who runs on their advertising? Sorry, but WS is treading on thin credibility with this nonesense. Perhaps they should consider advocating for the wine consumer for a change?

Can you read?

Do the words "with great skepticism" mean anything to you?

As always, thanks for the snippet James.

I'm not a miracle worker. I'm a janitor.

Posts: 343 | Location: Ontario - the new Greece | Registered: Nov 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James, I have lost all interest in pursuing the wines of Bordeaux, and primarily because of their pricing strategies! The Bordelais has simply betrayed their customers, exploiting them annually for the last 12 years!

Now, the rest of the World produces equal, or better, quality wines at reasonable prices, while Chateau Margaux expects to receive $800 for 25.4 ounces of wine---a drink with dinner, and that dinner will be in 20 years! Lafite $600, Haut Brion $600, and etc. This has been a huge price fix and a terrible affront to their loyal customers who purchased their wine annually for years.

I'm not not upset with you, the messenger, writer, & critic, and I will continue to read your articles, blogs, & reviews. However, French wines have a new marketplace, and it is not me!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: latour67,

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is nice to hear from the staff at WS on these boards. I think it gives the staff more credibility because they are interacting with the common man.

As far as the topic of this thread goes, I have only had the opportunity to taste first growth BDX wines a few times (fewer than I can count on one hand). I do own 1 bottle of 2003 lafite, but I can't open it for a long time. I'm beginning to think I should have taken that money and bought several bottles of slightly more ordinary stuff.

At this rate, I will never be able to afford or justify buying 1st growth wines.

"...it was the salmon mousse!"

Posts: 30 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Mar 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have cases of First Growth wines from older, great vintages, but I'm done buying them. I'll ration mine carefully and look elsewhere (Spain, US) for wines to buy. At least there are things to like about Spain and the Spanish winemakers and people.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm torn over French wines. As some of you know, I use WS and WA ratings to find the best QPR's in each distributor's portfolio... this year, the winning regions are Australia, Spain, Italy (especially with WineBow), and (you may find this hard to believe) Bordeaux.

If you consider the quality and price of certain Bordeaux in comparison to wines from the same varietals elsewhere, their value becomes glaringly obvious. I think the majority of the backlash against the increased prices concerns 1st and 2nd growth, a mere 19 wines. As usual, the sweet spot lies with the little guys who are producing wines that supercede all expectations. I'll back my opinion with some real examples that are currently available in NC.

03 Ch Pavie Macquin, St Estephe (Merlot, Cab Franc, Cab)95WA $85.00 -A solid value; if you have Caymus, Silver Oak Napa, or Dominus in your cellar, then this would increase your cellar value, not decrease it.

2000 Calon Segur St Estephe (Cab, Merlot, Cab Franc) 94WA $52.00 -once again, an excellent value.

2003 Sociando Mallet Haut Medoc 94WA $52 -Another great value.

There are many more examples, but the vintages of the century only hurt you if you are hunting for trophies. If you aren't, the increased quality levels will actually decrease the cost of wines of similar quality to the best Chateau in less optimal years. If you don't need the cache to enjoy the wine, then you may find yourself benefitting.

I say bring on the next vintage of the century.

Posts: 207 | Location: Ocracoke, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post