WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2013 Corked wine log
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2013 Corked wine log
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
At a company dinner, the second bottle of 2010 Catena Malbec. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention and the server didn't offer to have me taste the wine first. Of four bottles that night, this was the only one she didn't. As I was drinking something else, it wasn't until others said the cab I had ordered was much better than the Malbec and someone commented it might be corked. I didn't even have to guess as a newly poured glass got close and I could smell it from a foot away!

Posts: 36 | Location: Bethel, CT 06801 | Registered: Nov 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saturday: 2005 Fidelitas Walla Walla Valley Cabernet Sauvignon *sigh*

Cheers!

Posts: 2926 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saturday night: 2001 Maison Leroy Volnay

Posts: 3616 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friday night:
2005 Ledson Cabernet

Posts: 490 | Location: Morgan Hill, CA | Registered: Jun 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1989 Château Montrose

I have one more bottle so I am hopping it is in better shape

Posts: 184 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: Sep 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Williams Selyem Sonoma County.

Posts: 36 | Location: Bethel, CT 06801 | Registered: Nov 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clrv:
1989 Château Montrose

Ouch.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friday night - '05 Arcadian Syrah Westerly Vineyard. Probably the most corky-smelling corked wine I've ever had...tons of wet cardboard and funk...not good.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear. "
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

Posts: 3848 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Nov 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kybo:
Friday night - '05 Arcadian Syrah Westerly Vineyard. Probably the most corky-smelling corked wine I've ever had...tons of wet cardboard and funk...not good.

Have you had others from the same batch? I recently bought 4 of the '06, I've not had one before.

Posts: 3223 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by Clrv:
1989 Château Montrose

Ouch.

Darn! I took this wine to D.C. for an off-line and it was also corked.

When not flawed, one heck of a great wine. Good luck with your final bottle, Clrv.

Posts: 30394 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Opus One

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 1034 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1988 Sociando Mallet

Posts: 4667 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Valdicava rosso di Montalcino

At a restaurant in Santa Monica, 1st and 3rd bottles were very nice. 2nd was corked pretty good.

Posts: 301 | Location: 90049 | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Ruffino ModusRoll Eyes
Popped an Achaval Ferer Malbec 2007 that showed beautiful Smile

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 755 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kybo:

Have you had others from the same batch? I recently bought 4 of the '06, I've not had one before.

Had 3-4 others purchased all together - this was the first one w/any flaws.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear. "
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

Posts: 3848 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Nov 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going to post on behalf of Dave:

1994 Dominus (Magnum)

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Posts: 1325 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bummer of a 1000th post, AML. But I think you guys have had a pretty good run, no?

Looking forward to notes from the rest of the evening.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the end, it worked out fine -- Dave had two backups standing that fit the bill:

1989 Cheval Blanc
2001 Chateau Rayas

Cool

Left my notebook at Dave's but I'll get some notes up soon.

And damn...what a shitty way to reach the big 1000...

Posts: 1325 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Brancaia Ilatraia

At a WS offline of course. Deemed corked during double decant, so backup Super Tuscan opened. The backup bottle may have shown a hint of taint, but we decided as a group it was drinkable. Disappointing.

Posts: 149 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: Jul 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 Beau Soleil (Pomerol)

Posts: 3124 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
In the end, it worked out fine -- Dave had two backups standing that fit the bill:

1989 Cheval Blanc
2001 Chateau Rayas

Cool

Left my notebook at Dave's but I'll get some notes up soon.

And damn...what a shitty way to reach the big 1000...

+1 on both of VinT's comments. Those were nice backups. Looking forward to your notes.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Domaine des Deux Mondes NV Deux C

Posts: 1789 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread is too depressing to even read. Fini for me.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 donjon

I'm not sure I really can detect when a wine is corked or not. But this was flat with a little bit of yuck. Does that count?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3505 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
99 Dominus Frown

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 3011 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post