Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scotch
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I've toured the Highlands and stopped at a few distilleries but never took the tours. The trip was about the natural beauty for us. Were you in Tomintoul? There's a place there called The Whiskey Castle with 500+ single malts. We tasted some there and brought home a Provenance bottling I haven't seen in the US. I still haven't opened it.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36898 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did not go to Tomintoul.
We were in Edinburgh and the Deanston distillery was close by.
What food! What drink! What people!
We were at "the Whisky Experience" where there is a room
with 5000 bottles behind glass.
Our supplier, Jeff Karlovitch, has a similar collection in his home.
Hope to win this trip again some day.... Cool

I'm sorry, the winery says that's an allocated item!

Posts: 1048 | Location: Nanuet, Rockland County, New York.... just north of NYC | Registered: Feb 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we did the Whiskey Experience too. Fun.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36898 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Yeah, we did the Whiskey Experience too. Fun.

+1 A little kitschy but a good primer on Scotch for non-Scotch people.

Posts: 2847 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
I'd rather have a bottle of Lagavulin and an Ardbeg over a Macallan 18 any day.

Thanks to you, I am now a Scotch convert. I tried the Lagavulin 16 the other night and was blown away. What a stunning drink.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the great ideas. I have picked up a few bottles for myself during this search. I am sure my wife will appreciate ($$$) this new found taste/hobby as well Big Grin

Posts: 184 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: Sep 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by jesseix:
Highland Park 18yr is a good one too, tends to be a little cheaper than the Macallan 18 (probably around $100) but is pretty highly regarded at that price

I have both on my spirits caddy. I believe the Macallan warrants a 50% higher tariff. 2 Cents

PH

+1....and I am not a Lagavulin lover...might as well suck on a iodine swab. My father loves it so I keep a bottle around and have tried to like it on several occasions.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2765 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little off topic Clrv, but I have learned the hard way that the cork tops can be problematic over time. I used to keep my bottles standing up, which dried out the corks, which meant a few lost corks in the bottles. I now keep them all on their sides, as recommended to me.

Posts: 1633 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend to keep the bottles standing, from what i've heard the direct contact with high alcohol could attack the cork and then you might experience some nasty taste in your scotch. Maybe an urban legend? I've never experienced some lost cork in the bottle.

You should preferably keep the bottles in a humidified environment, same as for your wine. That should prevent your scotch corks from drying out. Or even better: drink them up before the cork dries out Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MoselleLuxemburg,

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1918 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
+1....and I am not a Lagavulin lover...might as well suck on a iodine swab. My father loves it so I keep a bottle around and have tried to like it on several occasions.
Philistine.......... Razz

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post