Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scotch
 Login/Join 
posted
I am not a Scotch drinker so I am looking for some help. It will be a gift for a friend. I know it would be easier to ask him what he would prefer but that kind of takes the surprise away. I would like to stay around the $150 to $250 price range.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 184 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: Sep 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Macallan 18 yr.

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 907 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
Macallan 18 yr.

+1

Consistently excellent.

PH

Posts: 15039 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
Macallan 18 yr.

+1

Consistently excellent.

PH

+2.

Enough of a consensus? Smile

Posts: 5413 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! We will give that a try

Posts: 184 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: Sep 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now if you could find a "Sherry Wood" version of the Macallan 18yr, instead of a "fine oak", i'd totally agree.

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1877 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoselleLuxemburg:
Now if you could find a "Sherry Wood" version of the Macallan 18yr, instead of a "fine oak", i'd totally agree.

Huge +1

I'm not a miracle worker. I'm a janitor.

Posts: 354 | Location: Ontario - the new Greece | Registered: Nov 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Macallan 18yr is nice but a little bit 08/15.
IF you would like to bring a Scotch that smells like a Scotch => Laphroaig 18! (price: around 100$)

Official tasting notes:
- Colour: Bright gold.
- Nose: At bottling strength, a soft toffee sweet, faintly spicy flavour counterbalances the trace of delicate phenols and fruit. There is an all encompassing smoothness when these are all brought together. Adding a touch of water allows the seaweed and salt to come through but not enough to overpower the vanilla and honey sweetness with just a trace of new mown hay and peat at the finish.
- Body: An intense depth that is exceptionally balanced and warming.
- Taste: An instant warming tang of smoke that fades into smooth floral scents and blends seamlessly into an oaky nuttiness and leaves a lasting sweetness on the taste. With a touch of water the peaty warmth fills the mouth but does not overshadow the sweet chocolate smoothness. This is balanced by the rich toffee taste and slowly fades into a delicate hint of heather and peat smoke.
- Finish: Full bodied, long with a luxurious oily smoothness.

=> 100% agree

Posts: 82 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: Mar 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Highland Park 18yr is a good one too, tends to be a little cheaper than the Macallan 18 (probably around $100) but is pretty highly regarded at that price

Posts: 279 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Aug 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jesseix:
Highland Park 18yr is a good one too, tends to be a little cheaper than the Macallan 18 (probably around $100) but is pretty highly regarded at that price

I have both on my spirits caddy. I believe the Macallan warrants a 50% higher tariff. 2 Cents

PH

Posts: 15039 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ended up picking up Macallan 18, and Midleton Very Rare. Two different bottles I know. I bought extra bottles for myself while I was there to give them a try.

Thanks for the help

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clrv:

Midleton Very Rare.

Nice. What year?

If you are ever in Cork Ireland, you should take a tour and tasting at their facility if you have not before. It is very well done and informative, and you will taste a lot of their products. Cool

Posts: 30050 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

Nice. What year?

It was a 2011.

Cork Ireland... Smile Ireland is definitely on the bucket list but most things overseas (on my list) are a few years away. Thanks for the tip though.

Wink we all can't be as lucky as yourself and TPE

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jesseix:

Agreed... Spend less. You can find Highland Park 18 for $89. MacCallan 18 is a decent value at no more than $125.

---------------------------------------------------------
"...And so ultimately you didn't blame Lil John or Meat Loaf. You fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well-handled, sir. Well-handled."

Posts: 1405 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clrv:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

Nice. What year?

It was a 2011.

Never had the 2011, but confident it is rock solid if not special.

Posts: 30050 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiritus:
IF you would like to bring a Scotch that smells like a Scotch => Laphroaig 18! (price: around 100$)

Official tasting notes:
- Nose: At bottling strength, a soft toffee sweet, faintly spicy flavour counterbalances the trace of delicate phenols and fruit. There is an all encompassing smoothness when these are all brought together. Adding a touch of water allows the seaweed and salt to come through but not enough to overpower the vanilla and honey sweetness with just a trace of new mown hay and peat at the finish.
- Taste: An instant warming tang of smoke that fades into smooth floral scents and blends seamlessly into an oaky nuttiness and leaves a lasting sweetness on the taste. With a touch of water the peaty warmth fills the mouth but does not overshadow the sweet chocolate smoothness. This is balanced by the rich toffee taste and slowly fades into a delicate hint of heather and peat smoke.

=> 100% agree

There's Macallan before being sold to Suntory and after being sold Suntory. The "before" was considered one of the very best, if not the best Scotch by many experts.

As for Laphroaig, i'd first make sure the person likes the very peated stuff, before recommending this as a gift to anyone.

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1877 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Unless you are seeing different macallans than I am, the 17 is fine oak and the 18 is Sherry cask

Posts: 57 | Location: Traverse City | Registered: Oct 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Laphroaig 18!

As for Laphroaig, i'd first make sure the person likes the very peated stuff, before recommending this as a gift to anyone...

Yeah, you're right. I started with the easygoing Macallen too. Islay is - in my opinion - the part with the best "Scotch's", but maybe not for "beginners".

Posts: 82 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: Mar 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bunnahabhain 25 yo....
More complex and not everywhere.
Unique...
Banana

I'm sorry, the winery says that's an allocated item!

Posts: 1048 | Location: Nanuet, Rockland County, New York.... just north of NYC | Registered: Feb 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be helpful if we knew your friends tolerance for peat.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 694 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike, I've had the 12 and the 18 and like them both, but don't feel the 18 is worth that much more than the 12. Is the 25 worth the money?

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Official tasting notes:

=> 100% agree

There's Macallan before being sold to Suntory and after being sold Suntory. The "before" was considered one of the very best, if not the best Scotch by many experts.

As for Laphroaig, i'd first make sure the person likes the very peated stuff, before recommending this as a gift to anyone.

Came here to say this. Love Laphroig, but I wouldn't give an Islay to someone who I wasn't sure loved Islay. Even people who love Scotch, may not enjoy Islay.

Posts: 4897 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have a bottle of Lagavulin and an Ardbeg over a Macallan 18 any day.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd rather have a bottle of Lagavulin and an Ardbeg over a Macallan 18 any day.

+1

I'd add Bruichladdich & Caol Ila to the bunch, as they're my favorite. But as somebody mentioned above, the super-peated Islay malts aren't for everybody, but they are for me Big Grin

Posts: 1491 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boardo... The 25 is unique and worth it.
I was in Scotland recently (at the distillery)
and they took us through the vertical.
When tasted together the differences appear.
There is also a very scarce bottling called TOITEACH
that is also outstanding.... Smile

I'm sorry, the winery says that's an allocated item!

Posts: 1048 | Location: Nanuet, Rockland County, New York.... just north of NYC | Registered: Feb 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post