WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Caduceus - Maynard's "Red Wine from the Desert"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caduceus - Maynard's "Red Wine from the Desert"
 Login/Join 
posted
Hello all,

I did some searches and did not find any discussions on Caduceus. I found some Tool/Maynard discussions but nothing on Caduceus.

I have a bottle of 2004 Nagual del SENSEI on the way - could not ship it to New Jersey - so I had to route it through California.

Anyone out there have sampled any of Caduceus' product?

Thanks so much!

sbp

Posts: 39 | Location: red bank, nj | Registered: Dec 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried their wines...yet. I'm looking forward to doing so.

The do have the sweetest website I think I've ever seen! It's really heavy on the Flash stuff, but worth the wait for it to load up: www.caduceus.org.

Posts: 592 | Location: ann arbor, MI | Registered: Mar 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my first bottle has arrived... now i wished that i had ordered a bottle for my brother and a bottle to cellar...

SO... i put an order in for another 2 bottles...

the website is very cool... i have encouraged quite a few people to take a peek...

also.. maynard's latest post seems to indicate a Wine Spectator Blog might be forthcoming... interesting..

Posts: 39 | Location: red bank, nj | Registered: Dec 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the website is very cool....

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9634 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am very excited that they now sell online. I have been waiting over a year for that since I have no time to go down to Arizona to try some.

Posts: 2 | Location: Davis, CA | Registered: Dec 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont see how how a cab/syrah blend could taste like a Brunello

Posts: 1478 | Location: Lincoln NE | Registered: Jul 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Website seems to be a rip-off of Myst.

The website doesn't seem to be nearly as much of a rip-off as $89 bucks for a new wine from Arizona of all places.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would someone pop one of these...

Posts: 342 | Location: mt, usa | Registered: Oct 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live down the road from Page Springs Cellars, where Maynard makes his wines. I haven't had one because I won't pay the retail either. Maybe someday someone will bring one to a local tasting.
@

"...I could drink a case of you..." Joni Mitchell

Posts: 247 | Location: Clarkdale, AZ | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother and I will open a SENSEI at some point during the holidays. I will post some thoughts...

Hopefully there will be a few others who can share their tasting experiences as well..

sbp

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sbpwjm,

Associate Editor
WineSpectator.com

posted Hide Post
Maynard James Keenan's blog is now up on Wine Spectator Online. His first post is titled "A Spanish Affair" and covers the wines he drank while on tour in Spain. Keenan is also the subject of some recent Wine Spectator articles, a Collecting story in 2004 and a recent Wine Talk.

Robert Taylor
Associate Editor
Wine Spectator Online

Posts: 317 | Location: New York | Registered: Jun 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Website seems to be a rip-off of Myst.

The website doesn't seem to be nearly as much of a rip-off as $89 bucks for a new wine from Arizona of all places.

That is exactly what I was thinking - MYST! Same with the music.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Aug 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greetings all. Just opened one of the 2004 Sensei's and it was a very good bottle of wine. The wax coating was thick so we used a rabbit to pull the cork right through. Thankfully that worked well leaving a nice wax pattern for presentation. Please look past my elementary vocabulary. The wine itself smelled wonderful from the first whiff. I picked up chocolate, tobacco, vanilla, and earth. Great vibrant color into the glass. Alive. The taste was very smooth and fresh throughout. I had been looking online for someone to advise if they like this wine or not and couldn't find anyone that had tried it. I have, and it was everything I'd hoped for. Saved one for the cellar. I enjoyed this one very much. Cheers.

Posts: 1 | Location: Texas | Registered: Feb 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BER:
Would someone pop one of these...

Where's DRAB? I haven't seen any posting by him lately.

Posts: 2249 | Location: o-HIGH-o | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that question deserves it's own thread, if not an APB. (and I've never even met the guy)

Posts: 45 | Location: N. Cal | Registered: Oct 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. I dont care what band you play for, I would never pay almost a bill for a wine made from grapes grown in AZ.

Posts: 1478 | Location: Lincoln NE | Registered: Jul 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jnastynebr:
I agree. I dont care what band you play for, I would never pay almost a bill for a wine made from grapes grown in AZ.

For the record, a significant amount of the grapes have come from California thus far.

Posts: 8 | Location: Canada | Registered: Feb 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the record, a significant amount of the grapes have come from California thus far.

Oh, so its a CA and AZ blend. My mistake, put me down for a case!

posted Hide Post
quote:

Thats the spirit. I knew you'd come around. Roll Eyes

Wouldnt life be more enjoyable if you expanded your horizons and tried something new that wasnt dictated to you by a magazine?

Posts: 8 | Location: Canada | Registered: Feb 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wouldnt life be more enjoyable if you expanded your horizons and tried something new that wasnt dictated to you by a magazine?

Oh, please. WS mag is for entertainment only. I buy wines from wineries I like, even if some guy only gives them 81 points. You dont have to be a WS, WE, or W&S reader to know that AZ is not known for growing good wine grapes. I am all about droping $10-15 on a bottle or two from a small winery when I am visiting another state. However, if I am going to spend $80 on a bottle of wine, its going to be from a winery with a history of making great wines, not some guy with a cool band.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jell999:
quote:

Thats the spirit. I knew you'd come around. Roll Eyes

This reminds me of a quote attributed to P. T. Barnum............

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, please. WS mag is for entertainment only. I buy wines from wineries I like, even if some guy only gives them 81 points. You dont have to be a WS, WE, or W&S reader to know that AZ is not known for growing good wine grapes. I am all about droping $10-15 on a bottle or two from a small winery when I am visiting another state. However, if I am going to spend $80 on a bottle of wine, its going to be from a winery with a history of making great wines, not some guy with a cool band.

Ever heard of Callaghan Vineyards? I think they would beg to differ with your opinion. In fact both WS and RP have raved about the quality there, and call it one of the best kept secrets in the US.

While I agree that the area isnt known for its fantastic history (of which it has little), there have been a significant number of world class winemakers moving into Arizona to make a style of wine that is not gauranteed to get you 99 points. Personally, I respect that kind of risk taking, and am prepared to use my wallet to support it.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I searched online, but couldnt find it.... Id like to see it if there is one. Perhaps it is something I picked up from hearing it before?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ever heard of Callaghan Vineyards? I think they would beg to differ with your opinion. In fact both WS and RP have raved about the quality there, and call it one of the best kept secrets in the US.

And it's around $15-$30 a bottle.

Look, I'm not dissing Arizona as a wine producing region (I'll let Board-O do that for me Wink )
but asking $90 for your first vintage is frankly ridiculous.
Clearly there are plenty of TOOL fans with cash to burn because he's sold out of all bar his cheapest ($25) bottling,

http://scmwine.info

Posts: 7218 | Location: Santa Clara Valley AVA | Registered: Jul 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I searched online, but couldnt find it.... Id like to see it if there is one. Perhaps it is something I picked up from hearing it before?
Well old P.T. didn't actually say it but it's been attributed to him for years.....

"There's a sucker born every minute......".

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`