WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Costco Wine Alerts
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 69
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Costco Wine Alerts
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Brettay,

Unlike the mad rush with 2000 Bordeaux, all the wines of late have been displayed on the floor. Your best bet is to have your in-laws to visit Costco every Friday morning to hunt for gems, as that's when they usually gets the goody delivered.

--------------------------
Powell Yang
Director
Clarets Hong Kong Ltd.

Posts: 7003 | Location: HKG - TPE - TAO | Registered: Sep 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apology--it is the 1989 Lafite

Posts: 308 | Location: Novi, Michigan. USA | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you use the item numbers for? When you call on the phone?

WN

Posts: 105 | Location: Chicago NW burbs, IL | Registered: Mar 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The item # is for when you call or visit Costco, they can look it up in their inventory system to see if the wine is available at any of the locations.

There are also occasions that you don't see the wine on the floor, which may just be hiding somewhere in the back or office. Wink

Powell Yang
Director
Clarets Hong Kong Ltd.

Posts: 7003 | Location: HKG - TPE - TAO | Registered: Sep 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my cases of 2001 Rieussec in beautiful wood was on a pallette on an end cap. They had the fork lift out searching, but I sniffed it out... Big Grin Be persistant, most of their staff doesn't know Haut-Brion from Chateau Souverain.

Posts: 1761 | Location: Folsom, CA | Registered: Oct 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Tong:
_Item Numbers_
754826 Rieussec
754828 Suduiraut
487368 YQuem
21006 Dom Perignon
19488 Veuve Cliquot Grand Dame
432188 Leoville Barton
754605 Grand Puy Lacoste
623338 Gruaud Larose
754528 Chateau Ausone
31913 Penfold's Grange
489529 Phelps Backus
7736 Cardinale
242016 Insiqnia
423488 Merryvale Profile
69872 Far Niente Cabernet

Thanks for the list, Dave! Nice meeting you at the Wine Club tasting ... an offline would be great. I'm really curious about the Suduiraut now :-)

Thanks,
Peter

Posts: 123 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the Costco's w/ good wine selections/allocations are in the reciprocal states.

LJ

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stealth -

Have you found your goodies at the Folsom location or the Rancho? Any luck at the Cal-Expo site?

thanks!

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9636 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dom'n'Vin'sDad,

They HAD 2001 Rieussec at the Cal Expo site...

Roseville location gets the good stuff consistently.

Powell Yang
Director
Clarets Hong Kong Ltd.

posted Hide Post
Roseville seems to be the best in the Sac area with Folsom right behind. I haven't been to the Rancho store since Folsom opened. Rancho used to carry good stuff, but I've not seen the good wines on Rancho inventory since Folsom opened. Only had luck at Cal Expo once.

Posts: 1761 | Location: Folsom, CA | Registered: Oct 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Costco's in Tampa definately do not get the quality wine that the rest of the country seems to get, but then I guess that's the price one pays for living in Paradise (kidding)!

Our local Sams Club (South Tampa) currently has the #60 2000 Ca' Bianca Barolo for $29 (that's a great buy for a 92 pt. Barolo)! There were about 2 cases there over the weekend. Smile

What's more fun- the pursuit or the consumption?

Posts: 76 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: Jan 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing special, but anyone looking for holiday wines should check into this.

No item #, as I wasn't there, just got a phone call.

Novato Costco
2000 Flora Spring Trilogy 3.0L $94.99
2003 Acacia Pinot Noir Anniversary Special? 3L $83.99

Powell Yang
Director
Clarets Hong Kong Ltd.

posted Hide Post
Hey you guys in SoCal, quit hogging all the Rieussec! Send a few up north! Razz

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6816 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pyang,

Had the 00 Trilogy Saturday night and it was pretty dang good. Faded a little the next day but at $95/3L I would reccomend buying.

Posts: 2259 | Location: Napa | Registered: Oct 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brighton Costo grand opening kind of a dud. The store was packed with people with full shopping carts but the wine department yielded no spectacular bargains. To be fair, there were some good prices on QPR and I did pick up a few items. They had Columbia Crest Reserve Syrah which I have not tried yet but did pick up a few bottles. I was hoping to find the Cab and Merlot reserves which I had before and really liked.

They had:

Opus One $129 didn't write down the vintage but there was a 3 bottle limit

Grgich Cab $51, didn't write down the vintage

Dom Perignon 1996 $100

Ridge Montebello 2002 Cab $74

Heitz Cabernet 1999 $104

ks

Posts: 520 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Jan 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got a call.

Novato Costco
1999 d'Yquem $129.99

Powell Yang
Director
Clarets Hong Kong Ltd.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K. Syrah:
Ridge Montebello 2002 Cab $74

You sure it was the '02? IIRC that's not due for release until next year.
Either way, $74 is a damn good deal. The futures price was $65

http://scmwine.info

Posts: 7218 | Location: Santa Clara Valley AVA | Registered: Jul 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco's in Ft.Worth had this:

2002 Green Point Victoria Shiraz (93 points/#28 on Top 100 list) @ 14.99

2001 Chateau Rabaud-Promis Sauternes @ 35.69

2002 Bodega Norton Reserve Malbec @ 10.99

Posts: 6117 | Location: Cloud 9 | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am convinced that the Livonia Costco has the highest prices of any store in this terrific chain.

Examples:

2001 Mouton Rothchild $142.99 at the store and $129.99 on line

2001 Ornellaia Bolgheri $120 at the store and $99.99 at another store (see post above)

This does not seem wise consumer policy for an otherwise teriffic company who tells us they live by the 12% mark-up.

Posts: 308 | Location: Novi, Michigan. USA | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Checked my note and I wrote 2002, however it is possible that I wrote it down wrong but I don't think so.

ks

Posts: 520 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Jan 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thomas,

As far as the wine prices goes, it does varies from location to location. Believe they figure in the transportation cost for most imports in relation to where the wine first land.

Another example would be the 2000 Bordeaux First Growths. In Washington, I believe they were uniformly $250 across the board, while it's in the $270 - $290 range in Northern California.

Powell Yang
Director
Clarets Hong Kong Ltd.

posted Hide Post
Thomas,

Think I've only been to the Livonia store once so can't compare prices. Clarification please, did you mean that you found the prices online at Costco to be different from the Costco store price, or online at some other retailer?

ks

posted Hide Post
I would like to commend Costco for actually putting the 69 point rating on the shelf talker for 2001 BV Georges de Latour. This was done in a 'A' store with a wine professional on site part-time. I was impressed. Smile

posted Hide Post
the brighton costco,
not so hot on the wines,
heitz martha'a vineyard 1997 $103
opus one 2001 $129.99
floral spring trilogy 2001 $41.99
only one french bg cdp
three german
the only good buy it you like it was the
caymus conundrum 2003 $18.99

Frown

Posts: 3031 | Registered: Mar 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a clear difference between Costco retail pricing and on-line pricing. Example: 2001 Mouton Rothchild $129.99 on line and $142.99 in Livonia.

There is also a different in prices from one Costco to the next. Example 2001 Tenuta Ornelaia Bolgheri at $120 in Livonia and $99.99 in Ilinois

There are MANY other examples that stand for the proposition that Livonia is the highest priced wine in the Costco chain.