WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Screaming Eagle removed mailing list members for flipping
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screaming Eagle removed mailing list members for flipping
 Login/Join 
posted
John Fones of Cellars 33 posted it up on FB. Apparently confirmed on Berzerkers website... Interesting in light of the release of a second label... If other highly-allocated wineries follow suit, it will be interesting to see the effect on sales.

The Dude abides.

Posts: 2994 | Location: San Francisco and Taipei | Registered: Jun 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that anyone who can't flip their wines without getting busted by the winery deserves to lose their allocation.

PH

Posts: 15068 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
It seems to me that anyone who can't flip their wines without getting busted by the winery deserves to lose their allocation.

PH

LOL It's an IQ tax.

The Dude abides.

Posts: 2994 | Location: San Francisco and Taipei | Registered: Jun 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love John Fones comment on the situation: "In light of the recent stories of folks being removed from the Screaming Eagle mailing list for flipping wines, Cellars 33 would like to announce that if you flip Cellars 33 wines for a profit, you will be... applauded and thanked!" Brilliant!

The Dude abides.

posted Hide Post
quote:

PH

How would they even find out - I have never seen any traceable factors like serial numbers on the crates or bottles - the only thing I can think of is direct shipment request to a wine store.

Posts: 229 | Registered: Jun 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or knuckleheads posting on non-anonymous wine boards....

PH

Posts: 15068 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
If other highly-allocated wineries follow suit, [QUOTE]

All six of them?

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7650 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:

All six of them?

anyone want any stefania's for pauls' price x 2???

now it's 7 ;-)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12026 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
clearly nothing is going to affect sales

SQN has a waitlist that's what 7? years long.

If they kick off these guys who are sharing allocations or flipping, guess what, there's clearly more people lined up behind them that would be waiting to buy.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12026 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would like to see more of this, although it would be incredibly difficult to police.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:

All six of them?

Six? You sure that isnt a bit high? Wink

Posts: 4503 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Stefania is correct in 6 being flippable:
SE
SQN
Marcassin
Saxum
KB
Scarecrow
Of those, I get an allocation of Scarecrow, I am wait listed on SE, and never bothered to sign up for the other 4, although I have bought a couple Saxums and SQNs on the secondary market.

The Dude abides.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
Personally, I would like to see more of this, although it would be incredibly difficult to police.

Agreed. You have to be pretty blatant to get busted. I think there also needs to be a distinction drawn between flippers and Good Samaritans. I've bought highly allocated wines at cost from friendly folk who are just looking to spread the wealth. Big difference between flippers and sharers, imo.....

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AML:

Agreed. You have to be pretty blatant to get busted. I think there also needs to be a distinction drawn between flippers and Good Samaritans. I've bought highly allocated wines at cost from friendly folk who are just looking to spread the wealth. Big difference between flippers and sharers, imo.....

PH

+1. I have been fortunate to pick up other Members allocations at their cost for things I was looking for, when they wanted to pass. And I am talking about some of these 'Six' that could be flipped for profit

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 924 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
clearly nothing is going to affect sales

SQN has a waitlist that's what 7? years long.

If they kick off these guys who are sharing allocations or flipping, guess what, there's clearly more people lined up behind them that would be waiting to buy flip.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 460 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's crazy is that SE actually believes that you should spend $750 a bottle and drink it. Crazy

Posts: 2396 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rather petty and controlling of Screaming Eagle. I seriously doubt they are acting out of concern for the customer.

Posts: 8688 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree if they made the wine to drink it would not be 750.00 a bottle. After all the first release was 50.00 a bottle. This is a trophy and flippping wine. Charging 750 for it eliminates many mailing list customers from opening them to drink.

Posts: 1647 | Location: New York | Registered: Apr 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's got to be something illegal about what SE did. It's some sort of restraint of trade, isn't it? I guess they can choose who to sell to, but there's something weird and anti-capitalist in the whole thing.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5562 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
I think Stefania is correct in 6 being flippable:
SE
SQN
Marcassin
Saxum
KB
Scarecrow
Of those, I get an allocation of Scarecrow, I am wait listed on SE, and never bothered to sign up for the other 4, although I have bought a couple Saxums and SQNs on the secondary market.

Some of those may be something to flip, but I don't think that's the list. You can pick up Saxum and KB quite easily.

The list might be more like:

SE
Bryant
Harlan
Colgin
Schrader
SQN

Used to include QC, but Tbird killed that.

As far as it being restraint of trade - why?

They can make whatever rules they want for their mailing list. They're not prohibiting people from selling the wine, nor conspiring with their customers to limit the market. You can do whatever you want to with the wine you already have. They haven't restricted in any way what you do with your wine. And you have no "right" to future wine. So who's harmed?

Now if only the Bordelais would adopt that approach.

Oh wait.

That's the entire point of Bordeaux.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GregT,

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2611 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You cannot flip Colgin for a profit in most cases. Or Harlan unless they get a 100 point score. I'd be surprised if you could flip Bryant as well. There were hundreds of bottles of Scarecrow for sale on the web for cost last release.

Saxum is available but always above mailing list prices. Don't know about the others.

The only wines that can be flipped almost every time are SE and SQN. That's it.

<possibly Schrader too>

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gigond Ass,

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may be right. What's Colgin going for to mailing list customers?

Schrader sells. I know lots of people who've flipped those.

But farther down the list, I think there are a lot of wines that have schizoid markets. Some people pay a lot on release, then people buy for more than that, and then you see them for far less later on.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2611 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure. I think the single vineyard stuff is about $300 and the blends are about $225.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
You may be right. What's Colgin going for to mailing list customers?

$290 for all of the bottlings except the Syrah - $175.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful TPEwinedrinker those wineries might kick you off the waiting list, if they find out you are buying on the secondary market ..

Bang

Posts: 719 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post