WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    I am a decade older and I will celebrate drinking ....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am a decade older and I will celebrate drinking ....
 Login/Join 
posted
The thread on the 1973 DP "inspired" me to open this new thread.

I will start; I turn 40 in July. So far I have a 1973 Ridge MonteBello from my birth year and perhaps will look for a 1973 vintage Port (to be determined). I will also celebrate in Spain so I will likely be drinking last decade Riojas and Riberos.

Note the answer does not need to be a birth year wine. Those turning 20 are welcomed to chime in as well. Wink

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1656 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
The thread on the 1973 DP "inspired" me to open this new thread.

I will start; I turn 40 in July. So far I have a 1973 Ridge MonteBello from my birth year and perhaps will look for a 1973 vintage Port (to be determined). I will also celebrate in Spain so I will likely be drinking last decade Riojas and Riberos.

Note the answer does not need to be a birth year wine. Those turning 20 are welcomed to chime in as well. Wink

alas you are out of luck

1973 was a cold wet year for port and certainly wans't a major declaration. A few rare bottlings may exist but I'd doubt they'd be good.

The closet you'd find is a rare split 1972 declaration which the ultra rare dow was the standout followed by some terrible wines
or the 1975 which was just a mediocre year all round but declared due to political celebratory reasons. If you go for colheitas, the 1974 Noval is quite excellent and can be had for < 130$

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12373 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be opening a 1963 Fonseca and perhaps a 1963 Château Prieuré-Lichine later this year. Don't hold out much hope for the bordeaux.

Some Chicago board members will probably be around for these.

VM

Posts: 12328 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
I'll be opening a 1963 Fonseca
VM

envious.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12373 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I turn 40 in March....perhaps Ill just look at a bottle of Mouton.

Ive given up on finding a wine from 73'....

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2776 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually the best birth year wine is the one that is never opened and tasted and just sits there reminding you how old you are.

"When I drink, I think; and when I think, I drink." Francois Rabelais

Posts: 3542 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find two 93's. Everyone knows two 20 year olds are better than a 40 year old.

Big Grin

Posts: 917 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm doing a half decade this year. I've got '78 Dom and '78 Mondavi (in mag) set to go.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I turn 40 in March....perhaps Ill just look at a bottle of Mouton.

Ive given up on finding a wine from 73'....

Try finding the '73 Sterling Vineyards Reserve Cabernet. I've had a few that were fantastic.
Same with '73 Spring Mountain.

Posts: 138 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I'm doing a half decade this year. I've got '78 Dom and '78 Mondavi (in mag) set to go.

I'm doing the same thing and am trying to find more '78s that fit my budget (the DRCs and La Chappelle I'm angling for don't seem to be getting by accounting).

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2436 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the DRCs and La Chappelle I'm angling for

Ouch! Gone are the good ol' days when you could buy these cherished bottles for a fraction of the new releases. Yet another duck that laid the golden eggs has gone by the wayside.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5816 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the '78 DRC. Best bottle of wine I've ever had (and due to the huge generosity of a good friend bought it from him at the price he bought it from the Domaine at release).

CSM, want to do a '78 (or maybe 70's) offline later this year?

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I turned 30 last year, and was a little disappointed in myself for not having opened any first growth Bordeaux.

I'll rectify that in 2022, though.

Posts: 5054 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I turn 30 next year (2014). Does anyone have experience with 84 Cali Cabs? I think that is my only option Frown

Posts: 265 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:

Big Grin

WC Fields Smile

Posts: 3542 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without revealing my age, anyone have any good wines left over from my birth year of 1953?

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7189 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin

Whoever coined that phrase has obviously never had a properly aged 40 year old..... Banana

PH

Posts: 15314 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1956 Huët Vouvray Demi-Sec Le Haut-Lieu which was sourced from the Chateau. It will be the only bottle from my birth year I've found that sounds remotely worth drinking. I plan to open it with another forumite who shares my birth year. Soon I hope. Cool

PH

Posts: 15314 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

Big Grin

Whoever coined that phrase has obviously never had a properly aged 40 year old..... Banana

PH

I'd rather have two girls at twenty-one each, than one girl at forty-two.

"You Can't Cheat an Honest Man" (1940) WC Fields

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:
I turn 30 next year (2014). Does anyone have experience with 84 Cali Cabs? I think that is my only option Frown

1984 was a very good vintage for CA Cabs, so you might be very pleasantly surprised.

Cheers!

Posts: 2923 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:

http://forums.winespectator.co...6058161/m/5227028632

wotn silver oak =)

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had the '78 DRC. Best bottle of wine I've ever had (and due to the huge generosity of a good friend bought it from him at the price he bought it from the Domaine at release).

Definitely. Only 78 I have right now is the Dom. On the lookout for more.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CSM,

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2436 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm in and will cook. We should do a '70's dinner. I'm a '74.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mangiare,

Posts: 1720 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

Big Grin

PH

AMEN!

Posts: 1720 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:

I'm in and will cook

also a '78. i think i drank my last'78 last year this time, but will procure something appropriate.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post