WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    January 2013: What are you drinking?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2013: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A special bottle of '97 Gruaud Larose that my son back back for me when he was in Paris.

I should mention, he bought it when he was 15 yrs old and on a school exchange in grade 10. He knew I liked wine and snuck it on the plane so his teachers didn't confiscate it.

A special bottle indeed and enjoyed by the whole family with grilled filet mignon, baked brussel sprouts and tossed Japanese salad.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
A special bottle of '97 Gruaud Larose that my son back back for me when he was in Paris.

I should mention, he bought it when he was 15 yrs old and on a school exchange in grade 10. He knew I liked wine and snuck it on the plane so his teachers didn't confiscate it.

A special bottle indeed and enjoyed by the whole family with grilled filet mignon, baked brussel sprouts and tossed Japanese salad.

Love it! Cool

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6094 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Ridge Lytton Springs.

Posts: 9424 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:

Cool

Posts: 15477 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Whatta tool....

PH

Big Grin

Posts: 15477 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Ch. Quinault (375) Hard tannins shed. Good to see as more in the vintage become approachable. Plenty of time though.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1897 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Gemma Giblin Barolo

Posts: 1854 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tasted a few '10 Chateauneufs tonight with the Sunday brown bag group. Small sample, but compared to the few '09s we tasted back in August or September, I definitely prefer the '10s. Young & tannic now, but have fruit & structure. Will be picking up '10s for the cellar.

Posts: 1591 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Ch Guiraud 375 with foie gras terrine.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:

The forbidden fruit here in CA. Frown

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2909 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Moreau-Naudet & Fils Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre - Very nice

Posts: 6469 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
el douchbago will work.

Spit

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2909 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently:
2009 Carte Blanche Chardonnay
2011 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Rosella's Vineyard
2001 Pertimali (Livio Sassetti) Brunello di Montalcino
1997 La Sirena Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Walter Hansel Winery Pinot Noir The Three Rows

Posts: 3649 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight with roasted leg of lamb, honey dipped carrots and steamed green beans in butter: 2002 Dead Arm. yummy

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
- 2005 Alban Vineyards Syrah Reva

Posts: 1517 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To celebrate the return of my nose to the land of the living:

1995 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau

Some grilled lamb chops, potatoes au gratin and some roasted brussel sprouts. It's good to be able to taste again.... Winner

The wine was absoultely lovely.

PH

Posts: 15060 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Ch Jas de Bressy CdP

Posts: 3710 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Chateau de St. Cosme, CdR, Les Deux Albion

Posts: 10067 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With Tyee and Lady Tyee:

- 1996 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvee Elisabeth Salmon -- I haven't had this in years and this wine seems not to have changed much from what I remember, copper in colour, deep cherry and berry nose, floral, rich palate of berries, citrus, mineral, creamy, silky, persistent but not overwhelming mousse, long finish, just a beautiful wine

- NV H. Billiot Champagne Cuvee Julie -- big fruit bowl nose, seriously effusive mousse, tastes very young and fresh, apples and roasted nuts, really terrific Champagne that suffered only in following the Cuvee Elisabeth

- 2005 JJ Prum Riesling Wehlener Sonnenuhr Goldkapsel -- maybe the most impressive mix of acidity and fruit that you'll ever put into your mouth, stunning; this wine will live happily and provide great pleasure for decades

- 1998 Dusky Goose Pinot Noir Rambouillet Vineyard -- from Oregon, a powerhouse that was still opening more after a couple of hours in decanter, great nose of cherry and baking spice follows on palate, some earthiness and anise kicks in as well, remarkably long, long finish. Needs time, but a great Pinot Noir worth looking for

- 1999 Chateau Gruaud Larose St Julien -- there's some nice cassis aromas and flavours here, but unfortunately hidden behind a leafy, almost green note, medium length finish, not certain whether this was an entirely sound bottle but definitely a disappointment

Cheers!

Posts: 8391 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found an older bottle of Burgundy in the cellar:

1993 Hospices de Beaune Cuvee Hugues et Louis Betault Premier Cru

Surprisingly fresh and delicious.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You need to take me somewhere for this on one of my next trips to Houston. I miss this stuff!

Posts: 2545 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Domaine Daventure, St Veran

Posts: 1096 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Belle Glos Taylor Lane PN- best wine ever from this winery, imo

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Dehlinger Estate Bottled Pinot

Posts: 3649 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
quote:

You need to take me somewhere for this on one of my next trips to Houston. I miss this stuff!
I actually had it at home. I'm not sure which restaurant has the best foie gras preparation. W+A?

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post