WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    January 2013: What are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2013: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
At the Union des Grands Cru tasting for the 2010s, I got to taste various wines for which I wrote down only very brief notes upon. These are very simple impressions of the wines. If you like Bordeaux, the UGC tastings are a must.

2010 Chateau Charbonnieux white(92-good)
2010 Domaine du Chevalier white(crisp and elegant 93)
2010 Domaine du Chevalier red(87-did not like)
2010 Chateau Haut-Bailly(very closed for business-NR)
2010 Chateau Haut-Bergey(excellent Qpr-91)
2010 Larrivet Haut-Brion white(Modern, buttery but nice for the price-92)
2010 Chateau Pape Clement white(pricey but good-very well made. 93)
2010 Chateau Smith Haut Lafite white(90 not as impressed as previous vintages)
2010 Chateau Canon(rather closed-NR)
2010 Chateau Canon-La-Gaffeliere(91+ very modern style, good nose but lacked balance for my tastes)
2010 Chateau Dassault(90+ excellent Qpr-very approachable)
2010 Chateau Figeac(93+ wow very elegance in the style of the 1982 I had a couple of years ago-the wine-maker agreed.)
2010 Chateau La Gaffeliere(92+ Very nice-modern and traditional wine style-long finish and lots of fruit.)
2010 Chateau Larcis Ducasse(not unlike the 2005-very modern but elegant 92+)
2010 Chateau Pavie-Macquin-(closed for business)
2010 Chateau Troplong Mondot(closed for business)
2010 Chateau La Conseillante Pomerol(95+ wow the wine of the event-elegant, structured and surprisingly accessible-stunning!)
2010 Le Bon Pasteur(unremarkable 90)
2010 Chateau Cantemerle (feminine bordeaux-decent style but well made-88-90)
2010 Chateau Brane-Cantenac(rather fruit forward with too much oak presence-87-not my cup of tea)
2010 Chateau Cantenac-Brown(89+-nicer than the Brane-with more elegance and structure)
2010 Chateau Dauzac(ok 87)
2010 Chateau Desmirail (90+ interesting discovery-bell pepper nose, very tannic with good structure-good QPR)
2010 Chateau Dufort-Vivens(90+ a discovery for me, cooked bell pepper and sweet tobacco on the nose with replays on the palate-the most unique Margaux I've tasted in comparison with the others.Very modern style)
2010 Chateau Lascombes (93+ Surprisingly accessible-floral margaux nose, beautifully elegant palate, very promising)
2010 Chateau Malescot St-Exupery(closed)
2010 Chateau Rauzan-Segla(lot of bottle variation-the one my friend had a the beginning of the day was excellent, my bottle was lacklustre-NR)
2010 Chateau Haut-Bages Liberal(88- Soft, feminine wine-lacking substance on the palate, though.)
2010 Chateau Ferriere(90+ feminine wine but offered more on the nose and palate than did the BHL-nice wine.)
2010 Chateau Branaire-Ducru(92+Nose is very expressive, cassis and oak but the palate is closed-good elegance though.promising.)
2010 Chateau Lagrange(88+ Typical Lagrange-decent but not inspiring)
2010 Chateau Langoa Barton(closed)
2010 Chateau Leoville Barton-(93-94+ wow. Impressive Leoville Barton-rather accessible with incredible elegance and structure. This is well built and a must for Leoville Barton fans in this vintage!)
2010 Chateau Leoville Poyferré(92-93 Modern, fruit forward nose, smooth velvety tannins-maybe a bit sweet for me but seductive.)
2010 Chateau Clerc Milon(89+ more closed than its brother D'armailhac but a typical Paullac-lots of cedar and pencil shavings and cassis)
2010 Chateau d'Armailhac(90+ same as the Clerc but the palate was slightly more open-more robust wine)
2010 Chateau Grand-Puy Ducasse-(kinda closed for business but its a dark brooding wine for the long term-NR)
2010 Chateau Pichon Longueville Baron(92+ nice nice very elegant and smooth but a beautiful finish-if it weren't only that pricey....)
2010 Chateau Lynch-Bages(91+ Minty, bell peppery with good acidity-too young but not my style of bordeaux)
2010 Chateau Ormes de Pez(90+ good QPR well made and surprisingly accessible for a St-Estephe)
2010 Chateau Lafon-Rochet(rather closed)
2010 Chateau Climens Sauternes(excellent-92+)
2010 Chateau Guiraud Sauternes(93+ good acidity and very rich but not cloying-my favourite sauterne)
2010 Chateau La Tour Blanche(89+ not as rich as the 2003 or the 2007, light more vanilla and coco notes and a little too light on the palate)

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6573 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going out for a French dinner with the 1990 Jacques Prieur Clos Vougeot in the decanter. Smells great.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36768 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
08 Forman Cab for the Hawks game. Need to let these lay down. Still pretty tight.

Posts: 63 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 EIEIO E cuvee

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11865 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1999 Domaine Bois de Boursan Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée des Félix

Posts: 2542 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 Martin Ray Diamond District Cabernet Sauvignon

Posts: 5093 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2002 Joseph Swan Zinfandel

Posts: 2173 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Tardieu Laurent CDP
2008 Alban grenache

Posts: 1037 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robo Porker:
At the Union des Grands Cru tasting for the 2010s, I got to taste various wines for which I wrote down only very brief notes upon. These are very simple impressions of the wines. If you like Bordeaux, the UGC tastings are a must.

Sounds like it was a very worthwhile event. I appreciate the notes!

Posts: 15439 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Going out for a French dinner with the 1990 Jacques Prieur Clos Vougeot in the decanter. Smells great.

How did this one turn out at dinner?

Posts: 1821 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NV Egly - Ouriet Tradition Grand Cru ( magnum 2007)

Posts: 30038 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1996 Conterno Fantino Sori Ginestra Barolo

Posts: 1599 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:

Jacques Prieur is not one of my favorite producers, but his wines usually are solid and a good value. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I'm sure I bought it at release. The wine had a magnificent nose. Lots of fruit and acidity to age for years longer. Smooth in the manner of the greatest Burgundies, but lacking the showstopping pizzazz of the best. I'd give it a 94 with the possibility of another point or two in the future. I think it's in its drinking window but might improve a bit more.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36768 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night with Bman and his bride:

1995 Vieux Chateau Certan
1999 Masseto
2009 L'Avion
1989 Ch. Rieussec

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5659 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:

Jacques Prieur is not one of my favorite producers, but his wines usually are solid and a good value. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I'm sure I bought it at release. The wine had a magnificent nose. Lots of fruit and acidity to age for years longer. Smooth in the manner of the greatest Burgundies, but lacking the showstopping pizzazz of the best. I'd give it a 94 with the possibility of another point or two in the future. I think it's in its drinking window but might improve a bit more.

Thanks for the note Board-O. That sounds pretty tasty, and good to hear. It's challenging finding older Burgs that are still good, not having bought them back at release.

Posts: 1821 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
1996 Conterno Fantino Sori Ginestra Barolo

and, ... how was it? I've been looking at some older Conterno Fantino and wonder if they are a good buy.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Last night with Bman and his bride:

1995 Vieux Chateau Certan
1999 Masseto

How did they show, bro?

Posts: 30038 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last evening at The Winery in Irvine:

N.V. Rare Wine Company Champagne Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru Le Mesnil
2004 Calera Pinot Noir Ryan Vineyard
2010 Calera Pinot Noir 30th Anniversary
2007 Louis Latour Corton Domaine Latour
2001 Williams Selyem Zinfandel North Flats Forchini Vineyard
2002 Williams Selyem Zinfandel Forchini Vineyard
2002 Williams Selyem Port Mistral Vineyard
1997 Château d'Yquem

Posts: 2734 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How did they show, bro?

The '95 VCC was outstanding and drinking well. The '99 Masseto was extremely disappointing. Brettanomyces +++. Overwhelming and made the wine totally unenjoyable.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5659 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Banfi Brunello di Montalcino. In a nice spot right now, quite balanced and better than expected. Decant 30 mins.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1549 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 d'Arenberg The Laughing Magpie.

Posts: 9404 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Joh Jos Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese
2009 Littorai Mays Canyon Chard
2009 Ch. Lafaurie Peyraguey

Posts: 3705 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night with rack of lamb, 2004 Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage, still very dark and very young, big berry and sandalwood nose, loaded with berry and plum fruit, licorice, and mineral in the mouth, great acidity, fabulous long finish. No hurry to open these, and I'm pretty sure it will go another couple of decades or so. Does this guy ever make a less than excellent wine?

Tonight with sauce of bell pepper, onion, tomato and bison salami on penne, 2007 Leone de Castris Salice Salentino Riserva, really delicious, lovely floral nose, cherry and berry flavors, soft and velvety in the mouth, a true bargain. Also to have with chocolate cake dessert and to honor my daughter's request for Port, 1994 Dow Port 375 ml, opened just now and releasing a pretty intense nose, not as sweet as some other Ports I've had lately but big and powerful, a serious mouthful with a very tannic finish that I'm hoping will settle down just a bit over the next couple hours in a decanter.

Cheers!

Posts: 8360 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Casa Silva Carmenere Reserva, Colchagua

Posts: 841 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hartenberg Shiraz 2007

Posts: 253 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post