WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    January 2013: What are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2013: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- 1987 Dunn Howell Mountain Cab Sauv.

How was this one Shane? Have you had other older vintages? I'm interested in which are the better years for older Howell Mtn cabs.

Posts: 1959 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the weekend Smile
2010 Duemani CiFRA
2009 Guigal Gigondas
2007 Chappellet Mountain Cuvee
2006 Tenuta Poggioverrano Dromos
2005 Mas Du Soleilla La Clape Les Bartelles
2005 Quails Gate Estate Winery Pinot Noir Stewart Family Reserve
2005 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon
2004 Quinault l'Enclos

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 747 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 William Febre Chablis, basic bottling. Quite nice and I'm sure will be better in a year or so.
2008 Telegramme CdP. Decanted a couple of hours and open for business by the time we had it with pot roast. I've had better 08's but I'm pretty sure I got this on a close-out very cheap.
2009 Dunham Trutina Bdx blend - huge gorgeous black fruits and smooth tannins, but a bit oaky at this point. It may settle down in a couple of years. Wheen tasting at Dunham a few months ago, I gave it a rating a couple points less than what WS gave and last night confirmed my impression.
2002 Phillipe Prie Brut Millesime - awesome. Firm, minerals, green apples, deep gold color.

Posts: 5541 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
For our wedding anniversary at Houston's Uchi.

2002 Cristal

Have you enjoyed their Austin location, and if so, does Houston measure up?

Posts: 30357 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

2002 Cristal

W+A,
I have not yet tried the Austin location. Our waiter, who was excellent, transferred from the Austin Uchi to help get things going. He seems to think that they are equivalent. I can not validate, though! Love the BYOB aspect!

Posts: 1653 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

2002 Cristal

W+A,
I have not yet tried the Austin location. Our waiter, who was excellent, transferred from the Austin Uchi to help get things going. He seems to think that they are equivalent. I can not validate, though! Love the bring your own Champagne aspect!

The one in Austin is as good as it gets.

Posts: 30357 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Domaine de La Mordoreee La Reine des Bois Lirac.

Posts: 9502 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Robert Keenan Cabernet Spring Mountain District Franc
2000 Von Strasser Cabernet Sauvignon Diamond Mountain District

The Keenan Cab Franc was really excellent.

Posts: 5182 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night: 1994 Graham Vintage Port. I'm trying to start a tradition of opening one or another of Graham's for my son Graham's birthday. He's only three. The first b-day I opened an '83 and didn't get it done for his 2nd. For his 3rd, I only had the '94 in the cellar. While young, I thought it was fantastic. I haven't scored or written a note yet as I am going to have more tonight.

Posts: 140 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: Apr 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 Chateau Laville Haut-Brion, Blanc

Posts: 10231 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

2002 Cristal

W+A,
I have not yet tried the Austin location. Our waiter, who was excellent, transferred from the Austin Uchi to help get things going. He seems to think that they are equivalent. I can not validate, though! Love the bring your own Champagne aspect!

The one in Austin is as good as it gets.

Will keep it in mind the next time I am there! If you have not tried it, the Houston location is terrific with a nice vibe and good wine service. An easy way to get a table (when no reservations are available online) is to just go early (5-ish). They purposefully limit the online reservations to encourage walk-in business.

Posts: 1653 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Ch. Senejac

Posts: 2947 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DOMAINE ZIND-HUMBRECHT CALCAIRE RIESLING 2009

Posts: 1959 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 Stefania Syrah Eaglepoint Ranch

Posts: 3608 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Clos Apalta - Thanks MiamiAtty - this was a great bottle
2008 Achaval Ferrer Quimera
2005 Core Coreferment
2008 Stefania Haut Tubee
2011 Nadeau Rose

Posts: 6071 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:

How was this one Shane? Have you had other older vintages? I'm interested in which are the better years for older Howell Mtn cabs.
I tried the 1982 Dunn Howell Mountain late last year and it was fantastic. The bottle came from perfect storage since release and was inserted in a 1982 Bordeaux themed lineup tasted blind. The bottles opened were Haut Brion, La Tour Haut Brion, Leoville Las Cases, and another from the right bank, but can't recall the name. It came in 3rd that night behind the Haut Brion and La Tour Haut Brion. Great wine.

Posts: 956 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At a wild game meal at Bibou in Philadelphia last night:

1970 Montrose - Excellent bottle
1975 Montrose
1989 Montrose - Another excellent bottle
1989 Ducru-Beaucaillou - Tight
1986 Gruaud-Larose - Best '86 I have tasted with tannins finally integrated
2001 Chapoutier CdP - Way too young
1997 Rouget Echezeaux - Excellent Burgundy
2005 Raveneau Valmur Grand Cru - Beautiful and would be even better with a little more acidity.

Posts: 2213 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice Longboarder!

To celebrate the return of nasal breathing

1992 M. Chapoutier Ermitage Le Pavillon - good to very good. Just lacking some mid palate and length but extremely enjoyable.

2001 Barolo Ceretto Bricco Rocche - very good

Posts: 1735 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took a bottle of 2007 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Chaine d' Or Vineyard to a friend’s house last night to pair with some grilled steaks. Started off a little green, but the fruit came out nicely when paired with the meat. I think this showed better when younger.

Posts: 6575 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:

As expected, this bottle was incredible. I'll get some notes up soon.

I've had every vintage of Dunn's HM except for the '79 (tough to find in 750ml) & the '83. They're all fantastic in their own right, but I'm always partial to the '87. IMO, this is one of the best wines to ever come out of California.

As for "older HM Cabs" from the 80's, I really like '82 & '85 too. I've even had a lot of luck with '88, despite the not-so-good vintage.

As for vintages in the 90's, it's hard to go wrong with any of them. Even Dunn's '98 HM is great. If I had to choose an order, it would probably go:

- '94
- '97
- '92
- '95
- '96

Posts: 1625 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:

1975 Montrose How ready is it? I have 2

1986 Gruaud-Larose - Best '86 I have tasted Great to hear. Thanks for the tip. I bought a case on futures. with tannins finally integrated

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37067 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Larkmead Firebelle from 1.5
2009 Frank Family Winston cab

Both were quite outstanding

Posts: 1046 | Location: Granite Bay & Newport Beach, California | Registered: Nov 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night at home I opened a 1982 Chateau Chasse-Spleen. This was a treat!!! Should drink well for another 2-3 years

Posts: 2321 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Bryce Pinot
2004 St Innocent corked
1983 Fonseca

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12440 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redknife:
Last night at home I opened a 1982 Chateau Chasse-Spleen. This was a treat!!! Should drink well for another 2-3 years

Big Grin ... was this one of the wines you bought from the list we emailed about?