WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    January 2013: What are you drinking?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2013: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted
1998 Dom Perignon

Posts: 981 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NV H. Billiot Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Réserve 1.5L

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2930 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Water.

Posts: 5152 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight 1999 Chateau St Jean Cinq Cepages.

Posts: 9281 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:
1998 Dom Perignon

How was it? I have one bottle only... when would you recommend that I open it?

Posts: 247 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Crimson Clover

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 5974 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Lapierre Morgon

Posts: 1274 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aagrawal:
quote:
1998 Dom Perignon

The 98 DP showed very well.
I don't have much experience drinking aged champagne so I am not sure to answer your second question.
I will need other forumnites to help me answer that question.

Posts: 981 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Rocca delle Macie Chianti Classico Riserva

Dzitt

Posts: 745 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by aagrawal:
quote:
1998 Dom Perignon

The 98 DP showed very well.
I don't have much experience drinking aged champagne so I am not sure to answer your second question.
I will need other forumnites to help me answer that question.

I would strongly suggest sourcing a couple more bottles, if you are able to aagrawal. This is a vintage that drinks well now and will age gracefully, IMO. If you truly are limited to just one bottle and you are seeking the ideal sweet spot, that really depends upon Your idea of a Champagne's sweet spot. A point upon which you get more mature, softened, toasty nuances? I would guess 8- 15 yrs should put you approx in that zone. As you get closer you're sure to have feedback from others regarding how its doing along the way (as well as how you are storing your bottle). I doubt that I'm far off regarding a 'window' however.

Posts: 15131 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1992 Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Napa Valley.
2006 Mitolo Shiraz Reiver.

Last night, Duval Leroy Champagne Brut NV.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 2894 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Cims de porters classic PRIORAT( drinking beautifully right now)

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6502 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 x 2002 Taittinger Comtes
2 x 2008 Ken Forrester The FMC
2 x 2007 Marcel Deiss Grasberg
2 x 2007 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume

All were good (the Grasberg) to great (the Comtes and Quarts) but the FMC was the most surprisingly good. Easily 93+ points for me and as good an off-dry Chenin Blanc as I’ve had.

In Canada? Really? Duties in?

Posts: 2023 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recent wines:

2006 Calera Pinot Noir Mills (half bottle) – Drinking really well right now with nice fruit and starting to show some mature notes at age 6. Tasty

2011 Calera Chardonnay Central Coast – Easy drinking white with nice crisp apple and some melon flavors. Not going to change your life, but for under $20 this is a real winner.

2004 Collazzi Toscana IGT – Drinking really well now and showing a bit more of an earthy nose and flavor than expected, but it was a welcome addition to contrast with the ripe fruit. Paired perfectly with some prime ribeye’s from the grill.

2011 Littorai Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast – I’m having a hard time keeping my hands off these. Really balanced and delicious with pure red fruits and a nice and zingy finish. Love this winery.

2002 Mongeard-Mugneret Echezeaux – This bottle was out of balance from the get go with a bit too much oak for me and the fruit was on the overripe/sweet side. Tasted more like a big CA pinot than grand cru burg.

Posts: 6242 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Arzuaga Gran Reserva

Posts: 1462 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot one:

2005 Rieussec – Pretty gross actually. This might be the nail in my sauternes coffin. They are just too sweet for me and I could barely manage a couple of sips of this wine. The sad part is it was paired with a really well prepared foie course, but it completely overpowered the dish. I’ve had success with foie and sauternes in the past, but I think I’m going elsewhere with that pairing in the future and no more sauternes for me. I’ve given it a good try, it’s just not for me.

Posts: 6242 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glenn, Sauternes from "great" vintages need a lot of time and can be cloying in their youth. I have seriously enjoyed young Sauternes from "off-vintages," even preferring them to the "great" vintages in their youth.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
2001 Cims de porters classic PRIORAT( drinking beautifully right now)

Had this on NYE and a huge +1. Beautiful wine.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2274 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Forgot one:

2005 Rieussec – Pretty gross actually. This might be the nail in my sauternes coffin. They are just too sweet for me and I could barely manage a couple of sips of this wine. The sad part is it was paired with a really well prepared foie course, but it completely overpowered the dish. I’ve had success with foie and sauternes in the past, but I think I’m going elsewhere with that pairing in the future and no more sauternes for me. I’ve given it a good try, it’s just not for me.

Pater dimitte illis non enim sciunt quid faciunt.

In Canada? Really? Duties in?

Posts: 2023 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pater dimitte illis non enim sciunt quid faciunt

I love when you speak latin.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5437 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
2005 Rieussec – Pretty gross actually. This might be the nail in my sauternes coffin.

Blasphemer! Cast of with ye, unclean spirit! Razz

Posts: 5152 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 Shea Pinot Noir Estate

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2823 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Château Saint-Pierre St. Julien Red Bordeaux Blend
2007 Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) Réserve Spéciale

Posts: 6167 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Soos Creek Sundance Columbia Valley

For an entry-level wine, this is pretty darn tasty. Round and polished with good fruit and spice, for $20.

Cheers!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
2005 Rieussec – Pretty gross actually. This might be the nail in my sauternes coffin.

Blasphemer! Cast of with ye, unclean spirit! Razz
Haha. I know it’s not a popular opinion, but it’s just my opinion on sweet wines in general. I have tried many, including great vintages of d’yquem both young and mature, and I just don’t get them. I don’t have a sweet tooth for food either though. You will rarely see me order a very sweet dessert (or dessert at all) and I have not had a piece of candy since I was a kid. It’s just how my taste buds work I guess. More of the rest of you!