WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Poll: What Region is the Highest Represented in your Cellar?
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: What Region is the Highest Represented in your Cellar?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
Still pretty much the same.

1. California

You could have knocked me over with a feather. Razz

I know, I know! But until DnVsMom's portfolio includes wines from France, and more than Gabbiano and Campanile from Italy, things aren't going to change. Wink

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9636 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

1. California

I know, I know! But until DnVsMom's portfolio includes wines from France, and more than Gabbiano and Campanile from Italy, things aren't going to change. Wink

I know two headhunters that only work with 25K+ per month clients.

May I have them contact your better half? I will bend over backwards to help you out of this dilemma. Smile

Posts: 30179 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tuscany - 60%

Posts: 1570 | Location: London, ON | Registered: Nov 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Estimator:
Tuscany - 60%

Estimator: Tuscany - 60%... that is, about 60%. How fitting! Big Grin Wink

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3951 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top 5

Bordeaux 45.41%
British Columbia 12.76%
California 10.20%
Rhône 9.18%
Mendoza 5.61%

Posts: 150 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Apr 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

1. California

May I have them contact your better half? I will bend over backwards to help you out of this dilemma. Smile

That is very interesting. They have anything for a poor high school teacher?

Posts: 9636 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Added some Gigondas and Lirac to my already overflowing Cdp collection.

Posts: 9452 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is very interesting. They have anything for a poor high school teacher?[/QUOTE]

Not if I share with them what you drink. Razz

Posts: 30179 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Mine is easily California, with about 53% followed by France (Rhone 11% and Bordeaux 9%)

When in doubt, open another bottle.

Posts: 2618 | Location: Silver Spring MD (Near DC) | Registered: Nov 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After today, France has overtaken the United States.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6128 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
After today, France has overtaken the United States.

Good man. Cool

posted Hide Post
I'm afraid to answer, I get enough flack around here..... Eek Big Grin

I posted this then realized that in fact my answer is the Duoro Valley. Second highest, region, on the other hand.....

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10680 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
I'm afraid to answer, I get enough flack around here..... Eek Big Grin

I posted this then realized that in fact my answer is the Duoro Valley. Second highest region, on the other hand.....

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10680 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 70% Cali (and proud of it) with FR wine the distant second...

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somewhere around 80% California, with some gems out of Italy and France rounding out the last 20%.

Ryan

Posts: 1001 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Jan 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In an effort to make sense of all this (and to take my mind off my own B.S.), I’ve tallied the results (since the new posts in 2010) and provided some explanation. It’s a flawed poll, with varying degrees of specificity in both region/country and in percentages, but there are definite patterns.

48 forumites responded, and the breakdown of highest proportions (by country) were as follows:
France - 23
US - 17
Italy - 3
Germany - 2
Portugal - 1
Ties - 2

Of the 23 forumites with the highest proportion of their cellars hailing from France, 14 listed France as representing more than half of their cellars, and the breakdown looks like this:
Bordeaux - 15 (led by khmark7 with 62.3%)
Rhone - 4 (WEc at 35.73% and aphilla at 35%)
Burgundy - 3 (topped by purpleteeth at 26%)
Loire - 1 (sydthesquid)

Of the 17 forumites whose cellars are best represented by domestic wines, 6 listed California as representing over 70% of their cellars, and the breakdown looks like this:

California - 15 (topped by AZwineRyan at ~80%)
Washington - 1 (BRR at 45.7%)
New York - 1 (Ed Bowers at 28.1%)

Of the remaining countries, Estimator is the most ardent of the 3 Italian collectors with 60% of his collection, ArieS is the top German representative with 40.69%, g-man’s collection is ~65% Portuguese, while spo (with exactly 12.57% each Bordeaux and Piedmont) and ElToro (29% Italian, 29% Spain, and 28% US) are paragons of balance. No one listed Chile as their #1 country, but dzitt has an impressive 16.21% of his cellar from there.

In the end, it is clear that balance/variety is not nearly as valued as focus, seeing that over half the respondents listed their cellars as being over 50% from one country. On the other hand, that may show that these folks know what they like! Big Grin

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3951 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
In an effort to make sense of all this (and to take my mind off my own B.S.), I’ve tallied the results (since the new posts in 2010) and provided some explanation.

48 forumites responded, and the breakdown of highest proportions (by country) were as follows:
France - 23
US - 17
Italy - 3
Germany - 2
Portugal - 1
Ties - 2

Stickman, 48 members should be a reasonable cross-section of the Forum.

Based on your stats above, approximately 65% or 2 out of 3 say something other than the U.S. represents the largest percentage of their cellar.

There was a time on this forum I'm guessing just the opposite would have been the case, and I think the current trend will continue.

posted Hide Post
My breakdown has changed dramatically since I started collecting in the late 1970s. Bordeaux was the dominant group with Burgundy next, then the the US.

About a year and a half ago, due to the ridiculous prices of the best Bordeaux and Burgundy, the US took over top position. Though I still have a high proportion of Bordeaux, that percentage will continue to shrink as I open and don't replace them.

As far as red Burgundy goes, I don't have a desire to drink 90 point wines and the 93+ wines carry price tages I'm unwilling to pay.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36886 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can never envision France not being 65%+ of my cellar. The wines from Champagne, Loire, Alsace, Rhone and Languedoc alone make up 30%+ of my cellar I'm guessing, even without my beloved Burgundy and Bordeaux.

I hear you about the crazy pricing in Bordeaux and Burgundy, but I still find slews of excellent white Burgundy wines at fair prices as well as white Bordeaux. As for red Burgundy and Bordeaux, it takes a lot more effort than 20+ years ago for me, but I do still find excellent wines at what I consider fair prices.

What has been growing in my cellar the last 5-10 years are wines from Spain, Languedoc, Alto Adige, Friuli Venezia and Oregon. It seems Piemonte and Tuscany are holding about the same.

I guess I could jump to cellartracker to take the guesswork out of this, but I do not see that happening anytime soon. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I could jump to cellartracker to take the guesswork out of this, but I do not see that happening anytime soon. Smile

Resistance to change is a sure sign of aging... Razz

Posts: 15563 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I still find slews of excellent white Burgundy wines at fair prices as well as white Bordeaux...

Some excellent quality available for fair pricing indeed. Excellent.

Posts: 15563 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board-O

Same applies here! I think Bordeaux and Burgundy have already lost their position on the North American Wine Lists, and are slowly losing the interest of wine collectors, and not only because of egregious pricing techniques, but also because so much better wines are being produced throughout the World today!

I have dropped Bordeaux, Burgundy, and Italy completely, while concentrating on mailing list wines from California, Oregon, and Washington. However, my wine purchases are down about 75/80%, but my Bordeaux is still around 40/50%!

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
As far as red Burgundy goes, I don't have a desire to drink 90 point wines and the 93+ wines carry price tages I'm unwilling to pay.

An excellent summation for this area, IMO. Well said.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:

Resistance to change is a sure sign of aging... Razz

Just too damn much work with two off-site cellars. I have thought about just adding the wine from my home cellar, or just adding what I buy.

I refuse to let any of my numerous hobbies become work!