WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Poll: What Region is the Highest Represented in your Cellar?
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: What Region is the Highest Represented in your Cellar?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
France is 63%. Too many eggs in one basket.
If you are going to pick one basket, that is not a bad one....

Completely agree. Regardless of what price range you are shopping at, the best wines overall.

If you said I will never spend over $30 for wine, France is the go to region without question for options and quality.

I have enjoyed plenty of wines from France. But there more than any other region I will love a wine one vintage and hate it the next. I have had better luck with just about everyone of France's neighbors. Especially at $30 and under.

By the way, no good place to ask this so mine as well be here.... wine+art, do you have a friend or aquaintance who wrote a book about Pol Pot?

Posts: 8759 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
wine+art, do you have a friend or aquaintance who wrote a book about Pol Pot?

What an interesting question! I'd love to hear the backstory on that question.

Posts: 2957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:

What an interesting question! I'd love to hear the backstory on that question.

I almost feel it would be kinder not to answer and leave you with some mystique! Razz I was reading a book about Pol Pot and the author acknowledged someone with the same name as wine+art so it made me curious.

Posts: 8759 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CdP is most represented in mine, at about 20%, followed by Piedmont. Given the ever increasing ripeness, abv and price points of many CdP, I'm buying much less and expect Piedmont to lead in a few years.

Posts: 762 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Mar 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy:
CdP is most represented in mine, at about 20%, followed by Piedmont. Given the ever increasing ripeness, abv and price points of many CdP, I'm buying much less and expect Piedmont to lead in a few years.
I have stopped buying CdP for the same reasons. The recent vintages have been too hot for me based on what I have tasted.

Posts: 6557 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gmbdds:

I will now duck for cover. But seriously, my Australian wine is dwindling over the years but I still enjoy several.

Do you like any Western Australian wine?

Sorry spo, I've been away from the board for a while. I have a curiosity about Western Australia but very little exposure. I've never even tried Leeuwin.

Posts: 140 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: Apr 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Four years ago Bordeaux dominated the cellar by 2 to 1 over everyewhere else. Now California is in the top spot as I have developed a very serious affliction for older Cali cabs. Another thing that is noticeable is that Australia has almost completely disappeared.

GG

Posts: 276 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: Apr 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perry Sound:
Then, as I began to find that residual sugar in red wine bothered me, I shifted strongly away from CA, and started big on various Italian wines. For me Italy is the best wine country in the world - incredible variety, classical styles - I'm rarely disappointed ... which I can't say for any other country in the world.

Well stated, Perry (although you neglected to mention Australia). I've made this journey myself and arrived at the same place!

Posts: 5178 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I will now duck for cover. But seriously, my Australian wine is dwindling over the years but I still enjoy several.

Do you like any Western Australian wine?

Sorry spo, I've been away from the board for a while. I have a curiosity about Western Australia but very little exposure. I've never even tried Leeuwin.

No sweat, gmbdds. For me these wines are where it is at for the Aussie stuff. Based on a small amount though.

posted Hide Post
When I first started out in this awesome world of wine it was all Bordeaux and Napa.
Now my cellars mostly consist of Cali wines from Napa/Sonoma and Central Coast (mostly Paso Robles). Salud!

Posts: 67 | Location: usa | Registered: Dec 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2012: Bordeaux is still the top % at just over 65%.....although i'm buying very very little these days. Champagne is up while Rhone and Burgundy are steady. Consumption of Loire is up, while inventory is down....go figure....

California is down to just about 4%
Other US states are way up including New York, Michigan, Missouri, Virginia, Illinois, Idaho & New Mexico....all combined are about 7%

Posts: 2207 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
2012: Bordeaux is still the top % at just over 65%.....although i'm buying very very little these days. Champagne is up while Rhone and Burgundy are steady. Consumption of Loire is up, while inventory is down....go figure....

California is down to just about 4%
Other US states are way up including New York, Michigan, Missouri, Virginia, Illinois, Idaho & New Mexico....all combined are about 7%

What have you found from Illinois that's worth having?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3496 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
California represents a little more than 50% of my stuff, primarily because I was traveling a lot to Napa and Sonoma as I was really getting into wine and joined several wine clubs after tastings. That is slowly changing as Italy, Spain and South America creep up, as well as Texas wines.

I realize that last statement made many of you cringe, but there are some decent wines around here!

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1966 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
California Central Coast 17.49%
Sonoma County 14.45%
Napa Valley 9.82%
Tuscany 8.13%
Médoc 7.45%
Southern Rhône 5.42%

Posts: 6030 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
California Central Coast 17.49%
Sonoma County 14.45%
Napa Valley 9.82%
Tuscany 8.13%
Médoc 7.45%
Southern Rhône 5.42%

And if you drink a bottle with dinner this evening, will that affect the first decimal figure or only the second? Banana

Posts: 5178 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I sense movement:
Rhone 27% (almost entirely southern rhone)
Burgundy 18% (this is trending up, and I expect it will continue to)
Piedmont 15%
Oregon 15%
Bordeaux 13%

Less than 1 month later:
Rhone 26%
Burgundy 22%
Piedmont 15%
Oregon 14%
Bordeaux 12%

and I have a few more red burg purchases I'm eyeing.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3496 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burgundy 77%
Alsace 10%
Oregon 7%
Rhone 4%

Posts: 222 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Nov 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Côte de Nuits 17%
Beaujolais 14%
Touraine 12%
Northern Rhone 12%
Medoc 8%

homogeneity is boring

Posts: 97 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slovenia

Posts: 102 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Mar 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
48.99% France (Bordeaux edges Rhone by 2 bottles)
28.86% USA (California by a 2-1 ratio over Washington)
5.37% each for Italy and Spain
4.03% Germany
2.01% each for Argentina, Australia and Chile
1.34% New Zealand

Due to recent shipment arrivals, there has been a change in the balance of power. USA is now 45.73%. France is 36.18%. Followed by Spain, Italy, Germany, Chile then Australia. The recent shipments were mixed cases from Stefania and Rasa. We also recently bought a case of Mumm Napa sparklers. I have 10 or so assorted Gigondas and CDP coming in the near future.

Posts: 5517 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I sense movement:
Rhone 27% (almost entirely southern rhone)
Burgundy 18% (this is trending up, and I expect it will continue to)
Piedmont 15%
Oregon 15%
Bordeaux 13%

Less than 1 month later:
Rhone 26%
Burgundy 22%
Piedmont 15%
Oregon 14%
Bordeaux 12%

and I have a few more red burg purchases I'm eyeing.

And now
Rhone 26%
Burgundy 23%
Bordeaux 14%
Oregon 13%
Piedmont 13%

I haven't been consciously accumulating bordeaux but have picked up some. I predict that Burgundy will surpass Rhone by the end of the year.

- Milton

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
A few changes over the past year:
California 36%
Tuscany 16%
Bordeaux 15%
Oregon 9%
Rhone 6%
Washington 5%
Piedmont 5%
Germany 2%
Others 1% or lower

Not much change, except for the growth in CA:
California 43%
Tuscany 16%
Bordeaux 14%
Oregon 8%
Rhone 4%
Piedmont 3%
Washington 3%
Burgundy 3%
Germany 2%
Others 1% or lower

Bordeaux & Rhone up some, Tuscany down quite a bit.
California 42.86%
Bordeaux 16.05%
Tuscany 10.76%
Oregon 8.29%
Rhône 7.41%
Burgundy 3.35%
Piedmont 2.47%
Washington 2.12%
Others 1 % or lower

Posts: 3272 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah a fun thread. According to CT, grouped by region:
California 27.8%
Rhône 18.7%
Bordeaux 12.7%
Tuscany 11.1%
Burgundy 4.0%
All others 25.7% (21 different regions, none higher than 2.4%)

Can't say ya don't like it if you haven't tried it!

Posts: 149 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: Jul 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
48.99% France (Bordeaux edges Rhone by 2 bottles)
28.86% USA (California by a 2-1 ratio over Washington)
5.37% each for Italy and Spain
4.03% Germany
2.01% each for Argentina, Australia and Chile
1.34% New Zealand

Due to recent shipment arrivals, there has been a change in the balance of power. USA is now 45.73%. France is 36.18%. Followed by Spain, Italy, Germany, Chile then Australia. The recent shipments were mixed cases from Stefania and Rasa. We also recently bought a case of Mumm Napa sparklers. I have 10 or so assorted Gigondas and CDP coming in the near future.

France is back on top at 47.7%. More than half of that is southern Rhone. I've been picking up 2010's. Southern Rhone is 26.8% of the cellar. I'm OK with that. Smile

Posts: 5517 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cdp is highest with Bordeaux coming in second. A smattering of all other regions.

Posts: 9476 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post