WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Poll: What Region is the Highest Represented in your Cellar?
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: What Region is the Highest Represented in your Cellar?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
1. French
2. Italian
3. Spanish (growing)
Less than 100 bottles+/- of other.

I'm just not an inventory guy. Smile

Posts: 30133 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like it's been 2 yrs since I last posted on this. It's always fun to do the comparison. France, Italy, and Australia have dropped a little and US and Germany have increased since then.

France 37.47%
Rhône 9.84%
Bordeaux 9.13%
Champagne 7.03%
Burgundy 5.39%
Loire Valley 4.22%
Provence 1.87%

USA 30.21%
California 24.82%
Oregon 5.15%
Washington 0.23%

Italy 17.80%
Piedmont 11.01%
Tuscany 4.68%
Sicily 0.70%
Campania 0.47%
Veneto 0.47%
Marche 0.23%
Friuli-Venezia Giulia 0.23%

Germany 9.37%
Mosel Saar Ruwer 8.20%
Rheinhessen 0.94%
Pfalz 0.23%

Australia 2.11%
South Australia 2.11%

Chile 1.41%
Central Valley 1.41%

Portugal 1.41%
Douro 1.41%

Argentina 0.23%
Mendoza 0.23%

Posts: 483 | Location: Nashville,TN | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US 50% of which - California 40%
France 22% - of which Bordeaux 10%
Italy 9%
Argentina 7%
spain 5%
Chile 3%
portugal 2%
Middle east 2%

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1595 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Have been buying from Tablas Creek, Ridge (only Monte Bello) and Rhys for a couple of years. Will probably stop Tablas and Ridge for awhile because I have a lot of it in the cellar already and it’s not hard to get back on the list. Really like all 3 of those producers still though.

For 2012 I have been trying out some of the “cooler climate” producers to find some balanced wines. Favorites so far have been Arnot-Roberts, Ceritas and Littorai. Mixed results with Peay, Anthill, Copain and Mount Eden. Have some Wind Gap that I have yet to try.

For a long time I had zero domestic wines in my cellar, but I like that there are some newer producers making wines more in a style that I like while still being true to CA. Plus I like that I can enjoy these wines within 5-7 years while my Bordeaux and Barolo are sleeping!

Thanks, Glenn. Many names there for which I have little to no experience. But make sure to give the Peay plenty of time.

Posts: 2949 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
A few changes over the past year:
California 36%
Tuscany 16%
Bordeaux 15%
Oregon 9%
Rhone 6%
Washington 5%
Piedmont 5%
Germany 2%
Others 1% or lower

Not much change, except for the growth in CA:
California 43%
Tuscany 16%
Bordeaux 14%
Oregon 8%
Rhone 4%
Piedmont 3%
Washington 3%
Burgundy 3%
Germany 2%
Others 1% or lower

Posts: 3226 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not much change, except for the growth in CA[/QUOTE]

That's interesting, as it seems like the general trend on these boards is away from CA and towards somewhere in Europe.

That is certainly my situation, although California Rhone blends are making up for some of the drop in my Cab collection.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
Not much change, except for the growth in CA

That's interesting, as it seems like the general trend on these boards is away from CA and towards somewhere in Europe.

That is certainly my situation, although California Rhone blends are making up for some of the drop in my Cab collection.[/QUOTE]
I wonder if it's really the trend of people on the boards, or just the people that speak up. Regardless, I have basically stopped buying except for some regular purchases and find myself liking CA wines at this point, so that is what leads to this trend.

Posts: 3226 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
France is 63%. Too many eggs in one basket.

Posts: 8723 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
60% Washington State
23% Italian
10% California
2% French
2% Portuguese
1% Spanish
1% Greek
1% Canada

Total bottles on hand: 60 +/- 5 with 12 out of reach (they're seven feet under until 2020 unless you find the treasure map that marks the location >c).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: imwithid,

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
I noticed some people are posting countries, some regions and some mixing the two. Confused

If you only have a couple dozen bottles, it's much easier to categorize by region. When you have 50+, it becomes somewhat muddy

Had I the time to spend on taking an exact inventory and categorizing first by country and then by region, I would post it, however, to illustrate my point, a quarter of my bottles (approximately 15) are from Italy and from 6 regions).

Call it laziness, but I try to recall from memory what I have on hand. Based on what is on the menu, I try to recall what wine would best be suited. It makes it interesting for me. Sometimes it's nice to find that bottle of wine you really liked and you thought was gone and there it appears like a $20 in the pocket of an old jacket.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imwithid:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
I noticed some people are posting countries, some regions and some mixing the two. Confused

If you only have a couple dozen bottles, it's much easier to categorize by region. When you have 50+, it becomes somewhat muddy

Had I the time to spend on taking an exact inventory and categorizing first by country and then by region, I would post it, however, to illustrate my point, a quarter of my bottles (approximately 15) are from Italy and from 6 regions).

Call it laziness, but I try to recall from memory what I have on hand. Based on what is on the menu, I try to recall what wine would best be suited. It makes it interesting for me. Sometimes it's nice to find that bottle of wine you really liked and you thought was gone and there it appears like a $20 in the pocket of an old jacket.

imwithid, welcome to the boards! I think it's fairly common that 50+ becomes 100+, which becomes 200+ in relatively short order once you hit these levels, so enjoy for now being able to recall from memory your holdings while you can (although maybe our Canadian friends follow a different trajectory given the buying sources available). Cellar Tracker will become your indespensible ally all too soon...well, for most of us anyway!

Posts: 2949 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
If you are going to pick one basket, that is not a bad one....

Posts: 6515 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
France: 66.5%
Spain: 19.2%
Germany: 8.8%
Switzerland: 3.8%
Austria: 0.9%
Italy: 0.8%

Posts: 82 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: Mar 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After about a year here is the tally.

France 35%
Canada 27%
Italy 16%
USA 10%
Spain 7%
Australia 1%
Chile 1%
Portugal 1%

Posts: 259 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the process entering all of my wines in cellar tracker. My #1 is Italy Followed by France but then my #3 is Argentina. Lots of Catena, Achaval Ferrer and Trapiche single vinyards.

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 731 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
FRANCE 58%
Burgundy 26%
Bordeaux 23%
Loire 6%
other 3%

USA 21%
Oregon 17%
Cali 3%
Wash 2%

ITALY 9%
Tuscany 6%
other 3%

SPAIN 6%
Rioja 4%
other 2%

GERMANY 4%

OTHER 2%

Not much change:

FRANCE 63%
Burgundy 29%
Bordeaux 21%
Loire 9%
other 4%

USA 18%
Oregon 16%
other 2%

ITALY 10%
Tuscany 7%
other 3%

SPAIN 5%
Rioja 4%
other 1%

GERMANY 4%

OTHER 1%

Got acid?
@@@@@@@@@@@@
Everyone has to believe in something. I believe I’ll have another glass of wine.

Posts: 1441 | Location: Redstate USA | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By nation my top three are USA, France, Australia

By region my top three are California, S. Australia, S. Rhone

I will now duck for cover. But seriously, my Australian wine is dwindling over the years but I still enjoy several.

Posts: 140 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: Apr 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is my current breakdown. In parenthesis is the change since I last posted in May 2010:

Bordeaux 23.7% (+3.2)
Germany 21.8% (-0.7)
Italy 10.9% (-1.6)
Rhône 6.3% (+0.5)
California 6.0% (-0.3)
Austria 4.7% (-0.8)
Champagne 3.2% (+2.7)
Australia 2.5% (-1.0)
Portugal 2.5% (-0.5)
Burgundy 2.4% (-0.1)
Michigan 2.3% (-0.7)
Spain 2.2% (no change)
Hungary 2.1% (-0.4)
Oregon 2% (no change)
Alsace 1.6% (-0.9)
Other 5.8%

Bordeaux has taken over the top spot from Germany. My bottles of Champagne have more than quintupled. Only Bordeaux, Rhone and Champagne increased.

VM

Posts: 12288 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
California still holds the top spot, but the proportion of "old school" producers has increased dramatically vis a vis cult/modern styled ones. The biggest percentage change goes to Burgundy, which increased quite a bit. Champagne is up there too.

Goal for the next 12 months is to increase our holdings of older Bordeaux (1989, 1990 & 1995), Cote Rotie and Barolo.

Posts: 1600 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:

Goal for the next 12 months is to increase our holdings of older Bordeaux (1989, 1990 & 1995), Cote Rotie and Barolo.

Let's have some more offlines. I think one of my goals for the next twelve months it to consume your holdings of older Bordeaux, Cote Rotie, and Barolo.....

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin. Deal!

Posts: 1600 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might find some '95 Bordeaux to contribute if we can get an offline theme going. I brought a '95 LaGrange to a recent offline, but could expand my horizons some.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gmbdds:

I will now duck for cover. But seriously, my Australian wine is dwindling over the years but I still enjoy several.

Do you like any Western Australian wine?

Posts: 8723 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

GlennK, we are not talking Lafite, Romanee Conti and Guigal La Cote Roties. The money I sunk into France could have been spent wiser elsewhere.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Completely agree. Regardless of what price range you are shopping at, the best wines overall.

If you said I will never spend over $30 for wine, France is the go to region without question for options and quality.

Posts: 30133 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post