WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Westvleteren in the US
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westvleteren in the US
 Login/Join 
posted
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesa...ell-rare-beer-in-u-s

Did anyone else try and fail?

I called every shop within 75 miles of San Francisco and tried to get in on the K&L lottery at Redwood City. Nobody picked up their phones today and Klwine.com crashed at 3pm when it went up online for sale.

Posts: 1551 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes - I too tried and failed. Also call shops around Northern California and was told "sold out." Was informed by a third party that City Beer Store, San Francisco was selling their allotment @ Noon Thursday with the suggestion of getting in line early. If this leads scores some I ask for a sample.......... Good luck!

Posts: 194 | Registered: Nov 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Total Wine in Roseville has 6 bricks left if anyone is in the area.

Posts: 1551 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kind of a bummer.

I tried online 'cause no local source.

Nada.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1286 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was lucky with this as nobody where I live seemed to clue in on the fact that this is a one time release. I bought 4 packs a few months ago and I still saw some hanging around as of a couple weeks ago so I bought some more lol. Not cheap, but so worth it! Amazing stuff.

Posts: 214 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any chance you'd be willing to trade a pack for wine? It's not for me but for a close friend who's a beer fanatic. I was trying to get a 6-pack for his 40th birthday coming up and I'm sure he'd be thrilled to try it.

posted Hide Post
Ahh nvm, saw in the other thread that you live in Canada. Bang

posted Hide Post
@Jonanator- if you have an extra pack you want to trade, let me know. I might have something you're interested in, and I'd love to try that beer to see what the fuss is aboutWink
auntboy at mac dot com

Posts: 135 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'scuse me get in line!

Cool

posted Hide Post
Saw tweet last eve of the big line ONE BLOCK from my office, with a second post that they'd sold out five minutes earlier. Oh well, I'll try it one o these days. Bang

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8878 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I walked by a couple liquor stores that probably have 6+ packs left. Been sitting there for a while. I would be happy to purchase it and send it down if there was an easy way to ship this to the states. I'm in Canada so not sure how it would work...

Posts: 214 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonanator:
I walked by a couple liquor stores that probably have 6+ packs left. Been sitting there for a while. I would be happy to purchase it and send it down if there was an easy way to ship this to the states. I'm in Canada so not sure how it would work...

That is exceedingly nice of you.

I am not sure how it works, either, but would be happy to to try.

Anybody know where I can learn about shipping to the US?

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1286 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jonanator that is incredibly kind and generous offer!!

From a Federal perspective, shipping by Fedex should be fine.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answe...ZC9XVkNKZUlkbA%3D%3D

From a state level to California since the interested parties are only in California, I think it should be fine since California has a pretty open shipping policy with all the wineries.

If you ship either FedEx or UPS, technically they only ship from senders who are approved merchants and I think the prohibit personal shipping of alcohol.

So my colleague's husband is a craft beer brewer and he ships samples of beer in growlers and 24 oz bottles all over the country through Fedex. Listed as "yeast samples" and he says that nobody has given him a hard time. I do some live coral plugs brokering on the side and "may or may not have" used FedEx to ship live coral specimens internationally. Basically, if you don't tell them it's something they don't ship, they won't reject it.

However, I wouldn't want to pose any sort of risk or hassle on anyone so if there's a better, easier, safer solution, that'd be great to hear!

posted Hide Post
Where in Canada; maybe I'll drive over. Smile

and yes... I'd ship 1 to Danyull Smile

Be good and you will be lonesome. S.L. Clemens

Posts: 749 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: Nov 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if you feel Fedex will be fine, I would be more than happy to send you the Westvleteren. Let me know how many cases you want and I will go buy them today or tomorrow.

Email me at j o n a t h a n d a l e h o @ g-m-a-i-l.com

EDIT: I am just doing some reading and I'm not sure I can send alcohol across the border or even across provinces unless I hold a liquor license..

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineOCD:
Where in Canada; maybe I'll drive over. Smile

and yes... I'd ship 1 to Danyull Smile

It would be a far drive for you, unfortunately! I am all the way in Alberta!

posted Hide Post
PS, the gift packs here are about $86.10 with tax

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonanator:
PS, the gift packs here are about $86.10 with tax

A must buy.

Posts: 30040 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Jonanator,
please contact me auntboy at mac dot com.
I'll paypal you the money and send you a really nice bottle if you'd go to the trouble of buying a couple of bricks for me!
I can figure out a way to get them from you later, but I'd be super grateful if you'd snag 2 or 3 for me!
Let me know.
thanks
-Dave

Posts: 135 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post