WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Are you comfortable bringing wine to a Super Bowl party?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you comfortable bringing wine to a Super Bowl party?
 Login/Join 
Associate Editor
WineSpectator.com

posted
Super Bowl parties are traditionally stocked with two beverages - beer, and light beer - but with wine more popular than ever before, it's not uncommon to see a few bottles of vino set out as well. How do you feel about bringing wine to a Super Bowl party?

And tell us your favorite Super Bowl recipes in the Dining and Cooking section.

Results (103 votes counted so far):
Are you comfortable bringing wine to a Super Bowl party?
65 (63%)
  Yes, absolutely
13 (13%)
  Yes, but I'm not sharing with anyone who's been drinking from a can
(7%)
  No, when in Rome…
18 (17%)
  No, I love beer on Super Sunday!
See Poll Form

Posts: 317 | Location: New York | Registered: Jun 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can honestly say that I don't understand this question (although I did vote in the poll). While there are certainly notable exceptions, most everyone here is sophisticated. I would be shocked if any Super Bowl party that I went to didn't have a choice of wine, beer & cocktails.

But let's face it, since most Super Bowl parties don't involve a seated dinner, it is most likely that the best drink to compliment the munchies is likely to be beer. I'll drink Shiraz with anything, but its hard to beat the combination of wings or chips and beer.

-----------------------
Je ne peux pas penser à une signature intelligente

Posts: 3110 | Location: ATL, GA | Registered: Jan 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd certainly be comfortable, however most Super Bowl parties I've attended were more beer-centric than fine wine oriented.

I do remember a couple in my earlier years where if I'd shown up with a bottle of wine my manhood would have been seriously
questioned..... Eek

PH

Posts: 15215 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to a Super Bowl Party in a number of years, but snack foods, cheese, chips, burgers, hotdogs, BBQ, is the general fare, so I would bring a Zin or Shiraz, or perhaps a couple bottles of Levy & McClellan! Eek not!

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Super Sunday means beer for me. It's a fun day but I think that the Bears/Colts game will be hard pressed to match the excitement of yesterday's Pats/Colts game.

Posts: 2249 | Location: o-HIGH-o | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't want to get beaten up.

But I won't drink pissy American beers like Coors and Bud under any but the most dire circumstances.

Fortunately my friends have good taste in beer.

Posts: 4066 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would never feel silly bringing wine to any social event where people are drinking. However, beer is a better match for the food that is often served at these gatherings. I usually try to bring an import that no one has tried.

Posts: 1478 | Location: Lincoln NE | Registered: Jul 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We host a Superbowl party every year. I always have a wide variety of drinks for people- from soda to water to beer to wine. I don't put out my best wine glasses or my best wines. We have somewhat functional polycarbonate stems that don't break.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36882 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My invitation must have gone missing in the mail!

Posts: 4066 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PAR-TAY at Robert's house!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36882 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should the question be what wine goes well with Hot Wings and Doritos?

I host a party every year and have never served wine. Now if someone wants to bring the host a gift, I am all for it!!!!

Posts: 1257 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: Oct 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Krug, naturally. Well, the Doritos at least.

Posts: 10914 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lentini:
I don't want to get beaten up.

But I won't drink pissy American beers like Coors and Bud under any but the most dire circumstances.

Amen to that. Wink

Posts: 30175 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I comfortable? Sure.

Would I ever do it? I don't think so. I prefer the tradition of beer on Superbowl Sunday.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7630 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I brought a bottle of Champagne to a SuperBowl party/poker game. I had bet a very, very, very small amount of money on the Rams and was pretty sure they would win. When they did, I opened the Champagne while I made the mistake of gloating a bit. My friends poured themselves very full glasses of the wine, walked over to the sink, and poured it down the drain in front of me. It was like they had rehearsed it.

Needless to say, I bring only some beer now. And even if I am lucky enough to pick the winning team, I never gloat. No way.

Cheers!

Posts: 8498 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Comfortable? I think that for most who are comfortable drinking wine, they should be comfortable bringing it to a social event.

Appropriate? I think that's more of an appropriate word.

For me, bringing wine to a superbowl party wouldn't be appropriate since most of the people I would watch the superbowl with are more concerned with the game rather than evaluating whats in the glass in front of them. Beer is the drink of choice for me when it comes to sports, and I am sure it will stay that way for a long time.

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely comfortable bringing wine to a SB party.

Almost all the guests at the last party did the same thing. There was plenty of food for the wine drinkers and for the food that didnt match wine, you could either drink beer, water, or take a break. Having said the above, almost all of our friends are wino's too.

Posts: 185 | Registered: Feb 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of my football buddies (I watch with the same crew every year - my old HS buddies) aren't into wine. Beer and beer food here.

I don't go to or host superbowl parties with wives and kids. 6 old buddies watching THE GAME. We even turn it off during the halftime show. We tape it though - in case anyone shows some bare chest again. Smile

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
at our house it's
wine for me an the wife , beer, scotch for everone else!
Wink

Posts: 3031 | Registered: Mar 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:
We even turn it off during the halftime show.

Last year was the first time I watched the halftime show. I thought Mick and the Stones were great. We put out the dinner at halftime and the men go eat while the women usually watch the halftime show.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
What is a Super Bowl? The latest addition to the $1 menu at Taco Bell?

"Asking government to fix this crisis is like asking the arsonist to put out the fire." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 4510 | Location: Dubai | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last year was the first time I watched the halftime show. I thought Mick and the Stones were great. We put out the dinner at halftime and the men go eat while the women usually watch the halftime show.

Yeah, it's been better lately now that they have ditched the hip-hop ghetto crap.

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never been to a Super Bowl party and never plan to attend one anytime soon. I make a point to visit a museum or a book store during the game.

Posts: 6988 | Location: ]0^0[ | Registered: Aug 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lol

posted Hide Post
On a related note, after 8 years of Christmases with the outlaws, to which I've usually brought 4-5 bottles of $20-30 wine only to have them quaffed like water with nary an appreciative word...that's IT, I've had it! They're gettin' Yellowtail this year, if I bring any at all. And I mean it!

Posts: 33 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: Jan 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post