WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Finer Wines with Great QPR?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finer Wines with Great QPR?
 Login/Join 
posted
Moving away from "weekday" or "daily drinking" wines, what finer wines do you suggest offer better QPR?

Wines that are among the better of what you have tasted, but at a great price for that high quality. It's all about that QPR ratio, not low price.

I'll start: 2000 Giacomo Grimaldi Barolo La Coste, which I rate as a 94, but auctions for $65 to $70. A great wine for a great price.

I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles. - Bishop of Seville

Posts: 836 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jul 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JJ prum Riesling

Posts: 176 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Dec 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
all ports.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12182 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barolo, Barbaresco....anything Nebbiolo

Posts: 1137 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NV Champagne

Posts: 582 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jhcolman - it's a QPR if the second digit of the score is higher than the first digit of the price, until you get to the hundreds, in which case it's the first 2 digits of the price.

So a 95 point wine that sells for $44 is a good QPR, but a 95 point wine that sells for $73 isn't.

That was a tongue-in-cheek formula a friend originally applied to Parker years ago, but the good news is, if you're going to buy by points, you can always find someone somewhere who gave high points to a wine. Vino Vixen, where are you . . .?

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2636 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chartogne-Taillet Cuvee Fiacre

Cédric Bouchard Champagne Inflorescence Blanc de Noirs Val Vilaine

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quinta do Crasto Old Vines Reserva at around $45 is a tremendous value and will age gracefully.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1377 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 GARNACHA ALTO MONCAYO CAMPO DE BORJA ($40 locally) is drinking comfortably above its' price point, IMO.

Posts: 15552 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much any red produced by Lopez de Heredia.

Posts: 803 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That was a tongue-in-cheek formula a friend originally applied to Parker years ago, but the good news is, if you're going to buy by points, you can always find someone somewhere who gave high points to a wine. Vino Vixen, where are you . . .?

http://www.vinovixen.com/The_V.../The_Vino_Vixen.html

but she has so many accolades. Eek

www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Posts: 450 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$50 - $100 1980's bordeaux is great value.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 726 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grower producer Champagne - e.g. Louise Brison Blanc de Blanc 2004, $75

Posts: 1909 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
$50 - $100 1980's bordeaux is great value.

I certainly beg to differ

1980 is by far one of the *WORST* years I've ever tasted.

will also add that 1991 is another year that i would never ever buy

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12182 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
jhcolman - it's a QPR if the second digit of the score is higher than the first digit of the price, until you get to the hundreds, in which case it's the first 2 digits of the price.

So a 95 point wine that sells for $44 is a good QPR, but a 95 point wine that sells for $73 isn't.

I guess that formula would apply to Parker scores, which I find (by my taste) generally to be a couple of points on the high side. Big Grin And if the wine is fully bodied, full fruited, in "international style", it definitely has high Parker QPR. Big Grin Big Grin . Personally, and I think for most folks, there are not many wines that rate over a true 95.

Here in Canada, it's pretty well impossible to buy a wine that would warrant true 93 score for $30 or under (more like $50 or more here), or a wine that would warrant a true 95 for $50 or under (more like $100 or more here). And perhaps barely possible in the US, given lower taxes on alcohol. Unless you inflate your scores, as many wine pundits do.

All of the above is any event totally irrelevent, as both wine scores and QPR are a matter of personal taste. But when I see a consensus of both professional and lay taste opinion that a wine has good QPR, I pay attention.

Cheers,

Jhcolman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhcwine,

I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles. - Bishop of Seville

Posts: 836 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jul 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:
Quinta do Crasto Old Vines Reserva at around $45 is a tremendous value and will age gracefully.

along those lines, quinta do vale meao is stunning @ 75$ and will rival most fine wines out there.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhcolman:

Here in Canada, it's pretty well impossible to buy a wine that would warrant true 93 score for $30 or under (more like $50 or more here), or a wine that would warrant a true 95 for $50 or under (more like $100 or more here)

What's a true score?

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roagna Barbaresco Asili, Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero, B. Levet Cote-Rotie "Le Chavaroche", Chapoutier Chateauneuf-du-Pape "Barbe Rac", Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape Blanc, and San Giusto a Rentenanno "Percarlo" (if Sangiovese is your thing) are all truly top-rate, world class wines in many/most vintages and all available easily under $100.

Still, the best values in top-rate wines are the central European dinner whites. A few highlight producers among many many capable of producing prodigious wines are Muller-Catoir, A.J. Adam, Willi Schaefer in Germany; Nikolaihof and F.X Pichler in Austria.

For sweet wine, Baumard Quarts de Chaume has to be way up there.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7620 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
All of the above is any event totally irrelevent, as both wine scores and QPR are a matter of personal taste.

All true. That's why I posted about the even more irrelevant Vixen. Wineglas was thoughtful enough to post a link. Thanks dude.
She's got the best name in the business IMO.

I really have no idea who she is, I just like the name. Smile

BTW - don't forget that just as QPR is a matter of personal taste, so is "finer" wine. I'm not sure how you define that but price and fineness don't have a lot to do with each other.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2636 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:

along those lines, quinta do vale meao is stunning @ 75$ and will rival most fine wines out there.

Also along those lines, the "second wine" of Quinta do Vale Meao, the Meandro, is also an impressive bottle at about $35 locally.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1377 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW - don't forget that just as QPR is a matter of personal taste, so is "finer" wine. I'm not sure how you define that but price and fineness don't have a lot to do with each other.

Totally agree, GregT. So with all that in mind, which wines are fine and QPR for you?

posted Hide Post
Belle Glos

Posts: 1946 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Jul 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chateauneuf-du-Pape

Cote du Ventoux

Cote de Roussillon

Gigondas

Cornas

Crozes-Hermitages

Almost everything else from the Rhone

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36862 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So with all that in mind, which wines are fine and QPR for you?

Well, from Ridge for example, the Three Valleys is often every bit as good as the more expensive bottlings. Their estate Cab is also a pretty good value.

Qupe Central Coast Syrah has to be in there - outclasses many wines costing a lot more.

I tend to drink a lot of Spanish wine so many wines from Rioja - CVNE Imperal GR will last your lifetime and put to shame many wines costing several times as much. As will the Contino Olivos and from places like Bodegas Riojanas, the Monte Real - it's really an underrated wine. The 1981 is stunningly good right now.

From Ribera del Duero in Burgos, you have places like Cillar de Silos, Valderiz, J.A. Calvo Casajus and Condado de Haza, all of which turn out wines that outperform their contemporaries in their respective price ranges at 10, 15, 20 years.

Cru Beaujolais is usually a great QPR depending on producer - Brun and Chermette are 2 reliable ones.

Produttori del Barbaresco, from their basic Barbaresco to their single-vineyard bottlings can hold their own with Barbaresco and Barolo costing much more.

Guigal's Brune et Blonde is really good in some vintages. A few St. Josephs - the region gets less respect than other N. Rhone areas. Crozes Hermitage can be a good value.

Château Maris Continuite de Nature from Minervois is currently one of my favorite Carignans from anywhere. Hard to find some of them but a lot of the wines from places like Minervois, Roussillon, etc. A lot of crap but some great stuff.

For sweets and fortifieds that's also the place to look. Rivesaltes from the early 1900s are actually affordable. Sherries too.

posted Hide Post
In addition to my above comments, I'll be a bit obnoxious...

I could make an argument that Dujac Clos St. Denis and Clos de la Roche deserve mention on this thread. Both are priced way, way up in the sky -- perhaps in the substrata; but I simply know of no other wine not priced in outer space that can compete with these. Truly amongst the very most enjoyable wines in the world to drink, for my palate, and kindof, maybe, sortof, capable of being afforded by many wine lovers. Whereas the only similar wines I know of -- DRCs and the Grand Cru Leroys (and other Grand Cru Dujacs) -- are simply not priced in the mortal realm.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7620 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post