WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    South american wine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South american wine
 Login/Join 
posted
Can anyone give me some tips on what to look out for when searching for good south american wines?

good producers, regions, clues on the label as to quality or regulation.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 5 | Location: Bogota/ London | Registered: Oct 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Chile, Montes, Concha y Toro, Casa Lapostolle and Santa Rita are very consistent producers of quality wines, across several price points. Cabernets and Syrahs are what they do best, in my opinion.

From Argentina, try Malbec from Luca, Norton, Catena and Achaval-Ferrer. The Norton Malbec Riserva is consistently good and a great value - usually $14 or so in the U.S.

Posts: 5434 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook Mendoza cabernet - a distinctive fig element. Again... Catena.

---------------------------------------------------------
"...And so ultimately you didn't blame Lil John or Meat Loaf. You fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well-handled, sir. Well-handled."

Posts: 1405 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great stuff. thank you.

will look into these producers.

Struggling to find some serious wine enthusiasts and/ or knowledge in Bogota, and language barrier does not assist either. imported wine from non south american counties is very overpriced and disappointing. for obvious reasons.

and south american white wine producers of note?

Posts: 5 | Location: Bogota/ London | Registered: Oct 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Chardonnays from Concha y Toro and Casa Lapostollee are pretty good. I have not had them often but recall enjoying them. Montes makes a Sauvignon Blanc that is crisp and refreshing, if a bit simple. I remember it being similar to those from New Zealand.

Posts: 5434 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree cabs are very nice from down there. Don Melchor is one of my favorite wines but even CYT's Marques Casa Concha level wines are consitently very good wines.

I'm a big fan of carmenere myself. If done right it makes some delicious bold reds. Even the cheaper bottlings are usually very good. Seems to still be under appreciated and therefor relatively reasonably priced. Even top bottles like Clos Apalta are relative bargains compared to other regions top wines.

Tilia malbec and Conch y Toros winemakers lot are a couple good everyday wines I've been drinking lately. WL is a blend of cab, syrah
and carmenere and I like it a lot. Have found a lot of bottle variation with it though.

Posts: 2299 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chairman,

Agree with all here, I was lucky and got in S.A. relatively early...started buying Casa Lapostolle at their first vintage 1994.

For Argentina, Bodega Colome Malbec for about $22-$25 bucks. Great Stuff.

Posts: 886 | Location: Buffalo , New York | Registered: Jul 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guy david newhouse:
Bodega Colome Malbec for about $22-$25 bucks. Great Stuff.

Their Torrontes is also excellent.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6095 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Norton from Argentina.

Only death is free, and even that costs you your life

Posts: 1905 | Registered: Apr 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post