WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What does it take to get a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What does it take to get a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence?
 Login/Join 
posted
I know this has been gone over in the past but is it really this easy to get an "Award of Excellence"?

Fake restaurant gets WS Award.

pissing people off since 1971!

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. ~Potter Stewart

Posts: 3475 | Location: oklahoma city, usa | Registered: Aug 15, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
pwn3d!

Posts: 1420 | Location: Jersey City | Registered: Feb 22, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

"Asking government to fix this crisis is like asking the arsonist to put out the fire." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 4510 | Location: Dubai | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like normal Italian wine tasting notes to me...........

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I expect to pay 120 euros for a WS 58 point cab these days.

Posts: 3093 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've ever seen that many sub-seventy pointers in one place, EVER!! Bravo for the absolutely monumental gaffe, WS!

posted Hide Post
AMAZING story! I look forward to seeing the WS response and how long this thread lasts...

posted Hide Post
Hilarious!!

But in the defense of the low scores, they must have been Italian wines made in a traditional style and not modern. Big Grin

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6630 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Will WS even give a response (computer error, over sight?)or will the thread just disappear?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brunello Drinker:
Will WS even give a response (computer error, over sight?)or will the thread just disappear?

I think that they HAVE to give a response...

"We cannot examine every restaurant, therefore there are inherent risks of fraudulent misrepresentations....."

We've heard it before

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprnplr:
quote:

"We cannot examine every restaurant, therefore there are inherent risks of fraudulent misrepresentations....."

Or they could act like Putin and make all of this go away.

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. ~Potter Stewart

Posts: 3475 | Location: oklahoma city, usa | Registered: Aug 15, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They say that they can't visit every restaurant, but they've got to examine every restaurant's list!!! Can't $250 buy at least 20 minutes of one of the taster's time?

-------------------------
Rajiv Ayyangar
President - Princeton Univ. Tasting Club
blog: http://questionsoftaste.blogspot.com

posted Hide Post
Now that is funny! Kudos to Mr. Goldstein for exposing the level of care that goes into examining the entries.

Posts: 2957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seanr7:
Or they could act like Putin and make all of this go away.

Except that there is now a PR issue at hand. A response is imperative, and it SHOULD happen before tomorrow morning, but probably won't.

Look at how Brian Rosen attacked the PR issue of Sam's Bordeaux Futures gaffe over the weekend. Although the original issue shouldn't have happened, he handled it well. Will WS?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

We've heard it before

All WS appears to have time for is collecting the checks. Makes one wonder what other jokes of restaurants and lists are included in those "Award of Excellence" winners? Zero credibility in my mind right now.

posted Hide Post
The sad thing about this is I have a friend, he posts here some, that has a restaurant on the West coast. He spent a lot of time putting together a very nice wine list and sent it into WS. He was very proud of getting the AofE and even called me last week to tell me that the Award had paid for itself with several new customers that had come in just because they read about his place in WS. WS needs to get their sh*t together or the awards will be nothing more then a $250 piece of toilet paper.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at how Brian Rosen attacked the PR issue of Sam's Bordeaux Futures gaffe over the weekend. Although the original issue shouldn't have happened, he handled it well. Will WS?

Uh I don't want to thread jump but while Mr. Rosen acted quickly, I would not say he handled it well.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6630 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, that is PRICELESS.

http://scmwine.info

Posts: 7218 | Location: Santa Clara Valley AVA | Registered: Jul 02, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
"Osteria L’Intrepido" has apparently been removed from the WS website.

Posts: 314 | Location: Huntington Beach, CA, USA | Registered: Jun 29, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Respect for WS..... dwindling....dwindling....dwindling....gone

I'm glad I can'd my sub.

Posts: 12 | Location: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
That's absolutely hilarious. The fact that for $250 per application the Wine Spectator can't hire someone to do a "Google" search and confirm that the restaurant has a verifiable address is both hysterical and pathetic.

Posts: 986 | Location: New Haven, CT | Registered: Aug 22, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps some one will offer a better solution for the WS Dining Awards program? Wink

CT handle - cuffthis

Posts: 434 | Location: Wilmington, DE | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sarbuze:
That's absolutely hilarious. The fact that for $250 per application the Wine Spectator can't hire someone to do a "Google" search and confirm that the restaurant has a verifiable address is both hysterical and pathetic.

My guess is the award will now cost $250 PLUS a $100 "background check" done by a third party vendor. And Tom, you deserve a Wink more than anyone here.

Posts: 3093 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This has got to be the "Dewey Defeats Truman" headline in the wine industry. Maybe change the name to BS Dining Awards?

posted Hide Post
Send a check, get an award! Ha-Ha!!!!!!