WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Favorite "second" wine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite "second" wine
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My experience with Bdx second wines is very limited, and more disappointing than I would like. For the most part, I would try to stay away from seconds in all but the very best vintages.

Probably my favorite "second" wine has been Shafer's "One Point Five" cabernet, or the precursers variously labeled simply "Napa Valley" or "Stags Leap District".

Do NV Champagnes count as "Second Wines"? If so, I have a few more ideas for this thread. Wink

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3042 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the M. Etain offering from Scarecrow, as well as The Maiden from Harlan.

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 862 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good call by Board-O with the Finca Dofi. I would probably add the Flor de Pingus and Vega Sicilia Valbuena no 5 to the list.

Posts: 985 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
Good call by Board-O with the Finca Dofi. I would probably add the Flor de Pingus and Vega Sicilia Valbuena no 5 to the list.

Agree on all counts

Posts: 15379 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All this talk about second wines compelled me to pop a 2005 Blason d'Issan tonight. The palate is a bit hollow and puckery, but what a nose! Mainly red berry fruit on the nose along with cedar, vanilla, a hint of leather, and a fantastic floral perfume that pervades all that. Rather smell this than drink, but that's okay.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite is Seavey's Caravina Cab. It's a little more fruit-forward and approachable when young than their primary cab, but both still improve with age.
I have found that most of the other Napa "2nd labels" cabs are a far cry from their counterpart, although my experience is limited.

Posts: 143 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: Jul 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when i was a cigar smoker a million years ago "second labels" were often distanced from there bigger and more recognized "primary label". I used to think napanook was a 2nd wine to dominus until I was put in my place when I meet Christian Moueix (sorry if I misspelled his name, did not look it up going off of memory) a million years ago.

Posts: 764 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post