WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Favorite "second" wine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite "second" wine
 Login/Join 
posted
I briefly searched through the threads, but could not find this topic.

What is your favorite "second" wine, from any country?

I haven't had a ton of luck with second labels, but two standouts that I never hesitate to reach for are:

- La Dame de Montrose: (Obviously, the little sister of Chateau Montrose. Every vintage that I have had, including the "off" years are excellent buys, including the '07 that I opened last night.)

- Tenuta San Guido Guidalberto Toscana IGT: (The little sister to Sassacaia. At a 1/4 of the price, IMO, it's hard to beat this second wine. Tasted side-by-side on more than one occasion, the Guidalberto is simply an earlier drinking "Sass.")

Posts: 1622 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is a second wine? Most wineries produce more than one wine, but they are not necessarily "second wines" related to a specific "first wine". Is Le Volte a second wine from Ornellaia? Is one producers Rosso di Montalcino the second wine to its Brunello di Montalcino? Is Alion second wine from Vega Sicilia? Not really. The The terminology is correct in Bordeaux and maybe in wineries that produce only one well known wine (Dominus), my favourite is Fiefs de Lagrange.

Outside of Bordeaux i'd rather speak of different labels or series, eg consider the different labels from Penfold's.

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1943 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is a second wine? Most wineries produce more than one wine, but they are not necessarily "second wines" related to a specific "first wine". Is Le Volte a second wine from Ornellaia? Is one producers Rosso di Montalcino the second wine to its Brunello di Montalcino? Is Alion second wine from Vega Sicilia? Not really.

Many wineries outside of Bordeaux openly produce "second" wines, which is exactly why posed the question. A "second" wine might be defined as being produced from younger vines and/ or a barrel that didn't make the cut...

And correction, the terminology far proceeds that of Bordeaux. Case in point: "Second Flight," from Screagle, "Altagracia," from Araujo, "DB4" from Bryant Family, "The Maiden," from Harlan...among MANY others.

So, back to the OP...any favorites?

Posts: 1622 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, there are producers that openly call one wine their second wine. Apart from those, things become a little more difficult. There can be many reasons for grapes not belonging to the producers top wine. As you point out, some producers make a "second wine" out of the younger vines from top Crus. Eg. Roulot makes an understated Bourgogne blanc from its young Meursault grapes. Some producers produce second wines with grapes of lesser quality. However, there can be Geographical reasons as well, simply because the vineyard lies outside of the top appellation. In that case a Bougogne blanc can be made with the best old vines from the region.
Both are sold as Bourgogne blanc, are both second wines?

The term "second wine" is arbitrarily given to some of their cuvées by the producers. It is absolutely not a clearly defined category of wine, there are no national or international standards defining what a "second wine" is. It says absolutely nothing about the quality of the wine, the method of production, the age of the vines. It is used arbitrarily, one producer uses young vines, others use crap grapes, others use grapes from geographically different vineyards. The terms only purpose is helping the producer selling a wine. Ornellaias second wine, sounds like buying a little bit of the great Ornellaia. Les Forts de Latour sounds better than "an overpriced Médoc". Great reason for selling it above the price of equally good competitors.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MoselleLuxemburg,

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1943 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I'm not wrong, Le Volte is the third wine of Ornellaia, Serre Nuove being the second...

dzitt

Posts: 913 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good post. Just to be clear, I have tried second wines that, depending on the vintage, have been at least equally on par with producers' first wines. Generally speaking, if you do a little homework, you can find some truly great wines at the fraction of the cost. My list:

1. Pavillon Rouge (most recently, the 2005: https://truebottle.com/index.h...rame=6&excludeterms=

2. Forts de Latour

3. Croix de Beaucaillou (the first wine here is Ducru Beaucillou)

Posts: 45 | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
If I'm not wrong, Le Volte is the third wine of Ornellaia, Serre Nuove being the second...

dzitt

Correct. From the Ornellaia website

"A true ‘Second vin’ of Ornellaia, Le Serre Nuove dell’Ornellaia was first introduced with vintage 1997, resulting from the decision to carry out an even more rigid selection during the blending phase of the base wines which give life to Ornellaia."

Posts: 10231 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree Tenuta San Guido Guidalberto is a top second wine. Never a disappointment. I have the 2006 to 2010 in the cellar, I alwyas look forward to opening a bottle.

Posts: 23 | Location: Ottawa | Registered: Oct 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:

dzitt

Correct. From the Ornellaia website

"A true ‘Second vin’ of Ornellaia, Le Serre Nuove dell’Ornellaia was first introduced with vintage 1997, resulting from the decision to carry out an even more rigid selection during the blending phase of the base wines which give life to Ornellaia."

Tasted both and Le Volte is not worth the price and the hype, the Serre Nuove being muche better (even if twice the price). Only have the Serre Nuove in the cellar...

dzitt

Posts: 913 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my early holy sh!t wines was Carillion de l'Angelus.

Posts: 8779 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ridge Santa Cruz/Estate/Cabernet or whatever name it goes under is an incredible wine for the money. All the fruit comes from Monte Bello and it retails for $35.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2965 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Les Forts De Latour.

Only death is free, and even that costs you your life

Posts: 1905 | Registered: Apr 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finca Dofi. Some might not call it a second wine. I do.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37067 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hauts de Pontet and Pagodes de Cos stand out.

Only had the Guidalberto once, and it didn't make enough of an impression to go back (maybe too young or not a good vintage).

Don't know if it qualifies as a second but the Morellino di Scansano Riserva Poggio Valente from Le Pupille was best QPR at $30 I've seen for a while and very very good.

Posts: 1959 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the day Carruades of Lafite. It has now gotten too pricey.

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5052 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got to try the 2008 Chappellet Pritchard Hill Cabernet next to the 2008 Chappellet Signature Cabernet. And the signature was a better Qpr for a third of the price wholesale.

Posts: 9502 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alter ego

Posts: 1675 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favourite Bordeaux second wines are Sarget de Gruaud Larose and Pagodes de Cos.

These days my favourite "second wine" outside of Bordeaux is Quinta Do Vale Meao's "Meandro."

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1388 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
The Ridge Santa Cruz/Estate/Cabernet or whatever name it goes under is an incredible wine for the money. All the fruit comes from Monte Bello and it retails for $35.

Shhhhh

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 769 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No matter how many points or gushing press Ridge gets, they don't raise their prices. I'm comfortable sharing the information Big Grin

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2965 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napanook

Posts: 276 | Registered: Oct 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been disappointed by a number of BDX seconds. I've had mediocre bottles of Carruades and Pavillon Rouge, as well as others. I once had a decent Pagodes de cos, though at the time it cost about $20 and could be considered a decent value. All in all I'd much rather have the first wines of lesser houses.

However, from other regions the second wine, or the regional wine behind a bigger name, may often prove to be both excellent and great value. For instance, some Loire CF producers have single vineyard wines and then one (or more) regional or house bottlings. In that regard Baudry's Domaine is an excellent bottle.

From Napa I think the Ridge SCM is pretty good, but I'd probably take Montelena's napa first, and the regular Heitz is consistently good as well. We don't drink a ton of CA cab but if I want one I know that these are reliably very good.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shane - Moselle had a good point. I assume you are interested in "second" wines that are called second wines by the producers. The problem there is that you get into the definition, etc., but I guess it's fair if the winery is calling it a second.

Other than that, there are many wines that might be considered seconds, but they aren't. The Finca Dofi mentioned is an excellent example and in fact, I've even heard people refer to it as a "second" wine. But it's from a different vineyard than l'Ermita and the producer actually owned that vineyard before he bought the more famous one. Ditto the Alion and Unico.

So if you're looking at a line-up of wines from a producer, and you're asking which one the producer thinks is his "best", and it's usually the most expensive, that's one way to define the term. But some of those "seconds" are based on barrels or lots rejected from the first wine, and some of the seconds are simply from different places or made of different blends or from younger vineyards or from sourced fruit and it's more arbitrary to call them seconds because there's no commonality.

Even more interesting is Aldo Conterno - his most expensive wine is a blend of his single vineyards, which he also bottles and sells. Hard to say which is the second wine there but it's not the way they usually do it in the Rhone or Burgundy.

BTW, if you haven't tried it, you should try the Dofi. It's a great wine.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2672 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Locally, Novelty Hill is a very good second wine to Januik.
In Oregon, Acme PN, as a second to Thomas PN.

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy Clos du Marquis from Leoville las Cases. It is grown on its own parcel of land on the LLC estate. It is almost always very good and can be excellent with a long aging window. The 2000 vintage is still not ready.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post