WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Is there a (wine-sized) tunnel from US to Canada? Preferably Toronto.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Is there a (wine-sized) tunnel from US to Canada? Preferably Toronto.
 Login/Join 
Member
posted
Just got back from first trip to France - at the time we decided to avoid carrying everything we bought back with us with the mindset that "we'll just have them ship it to us at home and pay whatever little LCBO markup they add".

I was, of course, expecting the usual ding of 10-20% for other things I've imported in the past. Now that I'm home and been confronted with the final unaccompanied markup of 102% or whatever it is, I'm searching for a workaround. Yes, I probably should have looked this up over there.

Total volume to carry back is only 6 magnums, with a winery receipt for $1300 euros or so. I've got family in Michigan I could ship it to, but I'm not comfortable driving across the border without declaring the total volume. And if they ask for a receipt, all I'd have is the winery one (which I could probably 'adjust' in photoshop somewhat).

Is there a smarter way (I don't travel to the US much), or do I just take my medicine and curse the LCBO more than ususal?
 
Posts: 12 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Oct 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
If you are caught smuggling it you will forfeit, the wine will be destroyed, and you will go on a black list and be subject to search every time you enter Canada for 7 years. And that's the best case scenario.

If you don't want to pay the tax and duty, make several road trips to the US, stay 48 hours each time, and bring a mag back on each visit - 1.5 litres duty free per adult after 48 hours.

Be smart....


-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!
 
Posts: 10530 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your family in Michigan are going to be getting some nice Christmas presents...... Wink
 
Posts: 643 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Bman, I thought the blacklist was only two years.


***********************
"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com
 
Posts: 6502 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Just declare the bottles when you cross the border. Sometimes you need to pay, sometimes you get lucky. I arrived at Pearson yesterday with 9 bottles after a week away, declared them and was waived through without having to pay a cent. I estimate that I saved approx. $500 vs. buying at the LCBO, and some of the wines aren't even available here. Of course it depends on the customs agent, how busy they are, etc.

I wouldn't bring them in without declaring - it's too risky, especially when - based on my experience - you don't always have to pay.
 
Posts: 760 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
It sems to me that shipping to MI is the move. Visit your relatives a couple of times and bring them back in stages. See if you know any other folk who might be willing to mule the wine across the border for you. I'm not sure if I'd show up at the border and hope for the kindness of a customs agent to avoid a €1300+ duty.

PH
 
Posts: 14650 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Bottom line:
Can you afford the consequences of being caught? Is it worth it, to you?
 
Posts: 15122 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shavez:
Just declare the bottles when you cross the border. Sometimes you need to pay, sometimes you get lucky. I arrived at Pearson yesterday with 9 bottles after a week away, declared them and was waived through without having to pay a cent. I estimate that I saved approx. $500 vs. buying at the LCBO, and some of the wines aren't even available here. Of course it depends on the customs agent, how busy they are, etc.

I wouldn't bring them in without declaring - it's too risky, especially when - based on my experience - you don't always have to pay.


I totally agree with this statement and also with KSCO2.....just be above board and sometimes you get lucky. No one wants to get on that blacklist of a few bottles of wine......
Hell, I once had a border guard let 2 friends and I through with 38 bottles of wine.....we had found something that we liked and was really cheap so we loaded up assuming we were going to have to pay the 102%......she asked why we wanted so much wine, we told her "we like wine", she asked if we were going to re-sell it....we said "hell no" and she waved us through. I know that this is not "normal" but it jus illustrates Shavez' point......

Be careful....wine ain't worth a "jelly finger tour" 2 Cents

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dave Canada,
 
Posts: 1098 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Hey this thread appeared! I tried to post it a week ago but got a permission error, so I made another one here (perhaps this one can be deleted?):

http://forums.winespectator.co...6053161/m/7477002832


Bottom Line: After getting back and reading a lot more, it's either going to be driven across by someone and declared LEGALLY, or shipped to friends in Alberta, duty paid there, and then shipped to me QUASI-LEGALLY...
 
Posts: 12 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Oct 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Not worth the risk.

That being said, sometimes you can get lucky.(like some have already preached)

My wife and I came back with 14 bottles from France while on our honeymoon and got waved through at Pearson. Customs officer had a nice hart, as my wife let her know that we were on
our honeymoon.

Thought we could use that excuse on our next trip, but then my wife joked that she would need a new ring.... Hmmmm I'll pay the custom fees thanks!
 
Posts: 237 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uwphysmed:
markup of 102%



That is criminal.
 
Posts: 8511 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Personal accompanied importation is less...around 60%. I agree with the advice in here. Always declare the correct amount of bottles, and have purchase documentation.
 
Posts: 1243 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
In the US we have a Trusted Traveler program, it's only a few years old. After a FBI background search, your passport is entered into the system and you can enter the US through the special kiosk w/o having to talk to anyone. Same goes for luggage. You are on the honor program to declare. Does Canada have something similar?
 
Posts: 3030 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
In the US we have a Trusted Traveler program, it's only a few years old. After a FBI background search, your passport is entered into the system and you can enter the US through the special kiosk w/o having to talk to anyone. Same goes for luggage. You are on the honor program to declare. Does Canada have something similar?


Yes, it's called a Nexen pass. I believe they do occassional spot checks though.
 
Posts: 561 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
It's actually called NEXUS, and they definitely do spot checks.
 
Posts: 1243 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
quote:
Originally posted by uwphysmed:
markup of 102%



That is criminal.


Nope, just Canadian unfortunately.


Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.
 
Posts: 2274 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I think you should start an armed insurrection followed by re-education camps.


--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`
 
Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uwphysmed:
Just got back from first trip to France - at the time we decided to avoid carrying everything we bought back with us with the mindset that "we'll just have them ship it to us at home and pay whatever little LCBO markup they add".

I was, of course, expecting the usual ding of 10-20% for other things I've imported in the past. Now that I'm home and been confronted with the final unaccompanied markup of 102% or whatever it is, I'm searching for a workaround. Yes, I probably should have looked this up over there.

Total volume to carry back is only 6 magnums, with a winery receipt for $1300 euros or so. I've got family in Michigan I could ship it to, but I'm not comfortable driving across the border without declaring the total volume. And if they ask for a receipt, all I'd have is the winery one (which I could probably 'adjust' in photoshop somewhat).

Is there a smarter way (I don't travel to the US much), or do I just take my medicine and curse the LCBO more than ususal?


Ship it to Montana and get yourself to Montana and back via Alberta.

Last time I was in Napa, when checking in my flight, my airline offered me a direct flight back to Ontario rather than the layover in Calgary. I kindly declined with my 2 cases of wine. When I got to Calgary, I was sent over to the Duties line to pay but the cashier was too busy on the phone and waived me on! Either case, even if I had to pay it is a couple dollars per liter or something like that. Marginal and negligible.


____________________
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. - Hemingway
 
Posts: 1942 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Jul 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Bottom line:
Can you afford the consequences of being caught? Is it worth it, to you?


Thank you, smokey bear for the advice on prevention.
Wink


***********************
"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com
 
Posts: 6502 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Is there a (wine-sized) tunnel from US to Canada? Preferably Toronto.

© Wine Spectator 2013