WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    OT: "Your one experience" Now, you can't even look at it.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT: "Your one experience" Now, you can't even look at it.
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I see a very common thread in all of these posts..... Frown Wink Eek Big Grin

RRV

So, brocolli, Mother says you're very good for me. Well, I'm afraid I'm no good for you!

Posts: 813 | Location: Carmel, IN | Registered: Aug 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TLV- I'm with you on the Yukon Jack. Brutal experience with a buddy in high school that left both of us "selling Buicks"

Posts: 36 | Location: Park City, UT/Philadelphia | Registered: Mar 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We could've done the youngin's - gray hair thing here, too! This could have been:

All of those who's biggest bender was before 1990- reply here!

DBW

PS- I have given up all alcohol except for wine and beer. (I don't drink less, just less things!)

Posts: 1958 | Location: Maple Glen, PA | Registered: Aug 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OH Yeah,

My Southern Comfort "incident" was 1978. Oh, wait, there were 2! No, that was Jack Daniels and some illegal chemical, and that was 1980.

DBW

Posts: 1958 | Location: Maple Glen, PA | Registered: Aug 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
that one drink, based on a fairly nasty experience

Hands down: OUZO

I'll spare the gory details. Eek

Posts: 31 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Nov 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DJ -- I'm with you.

Gin! uggh. to this day, I can't even smell it without feeling queasy. Consistent with the theme of this thread, it was senior year of college. The bar we were at was having $1 one-liquor drinks and I proceeded to drink roughly 12-14 gin & tonics (I was actually keeping count & lost track at 11) over the course of about 3 hours.....

for the grey-hair v. youngin' debate, this was 1996.

Posts: 400 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: Jul 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VV -

A road trip to Truckee???? Now I know of plenty of college road trips from NorCal (Tahoe, Chico, SLOtown, San Diego/TJ, and even Reno), but Truckee? Bar of America must have really been calling your name....

Posts: 9636 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was tempted to say "Jagermeister", but I think it's just common sense talking, there.
BTW, I've heard almost everyone alive has a Jagermeister story to share. Is this true with you?

For me it is rum. Mid-80's, I spent a week or more in the Virgin Islands, and every drink you're handed has some kind of rum in it. I think they mostly used the local rot-gut, Cruzan, which was going for $2 a bottle at the time.
Ugh, it's been almost 20 years, and I still can't stand the stuff. Red Face Mad

"In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women!" --Homer Simpson

Posts: 6791 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like Southern Comfort is the early leader, but I think we have more ugly posts by others still to go.

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raincheck:
Hands down: OUZO

I'll spare the gory details. Eek

Ditto. The one detail I'll put in is that my digestive system went into full reverse without any warning, so no I didn't get away from the table. Frown

------------------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. -Herbert Spencer

Posts: 3461 | Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got trashed on Scoth...after having about 8 beers, some time in college. I couldn't drink Scotch for about 5 months after, but it is just too good to stay away. Smile

a

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7580 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Di Saronno Amaretto

Even the sight of a bottle or the smell of almonds makes me queasy now...When I first moved out of my parents' house at the age of 18 into an apartment with 2 roomates, we had a party the 1st weekend...someone convinced me to try a drink called an "amaretto slammer"...said you slammed the drink down as fast as you could...I woke up VERY sick and hungover. I feel sick thinking about it.

Posts: 57 | Location: Elk River, MN USA | Registered: Jan 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
where the teach you that you shouldn't be afraid of any form of alcohol. I do not have an alcoholic kryptonite.

But my wife has a Goldschlager story that I should share here....

Long long before she knew me.....

My wife was in graduate school and very vigorously celebrating her 24th birthday with some friends. Goldschlager shots were the order of the night.

The next morning, my wife (let's call her "She Who Must Be Obeyed") woke up very very hungover and had the obligatory day of barfing. Well around mid-morning (okay, it was 4:00 pm), "She's" phone rang -- one of her drinking buddies called. "She" made the mistake of telling her friend she couldn't remember anything about the night before -- how she got home, etc. Well her friend seized the opportunity to tell "She" that she was making out with an especailly unsavory guy and the two of them had left the bar together. "She" was, of course mortified, and started having nightmare thoughts of STD's etc. Her friend didn't let her off the hook until the next day.

To this day, my wife won't even chew "Big Red" chewing gum because it smells like Goldschlager....

Semper ubi sub ubi!

Posts: 3110 | Location: ATL, GA | Registered: Jan 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cuervo Gold

we had a tradition after functions at my frat to have "beer & eggs" the next morning out in front of the house (if you were the $h!t you didn't go to bed at all)...

my first bite of rare-steak and runny, over-easy eggs after pounding a Rolling Rock @ 7 a.m. induced the nastiest Cuervo-coated vomit this side of the Mississippi... of course i was being cheered and "patted" on the back the whole time by the brothers. straight out of Stand By Me, i made a girl puke from the sight (and i'm sure the smell)... can't remember anything after that. just started to be able to drink Tookillya again 5 years later...

Posts: 4205 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jaegermeister and Goldschlager (sp?). I cannot recall heaving on either but I drank so much of this sh!t in my single days that I cannot tolerate even the smell of either. Both win the prize for worst hangovers!

Worst drink I have ever had? Some crazy Euro-crap called Unicum (sounds delicious, huh?). Yes, this is a real alcoholic beverage. Comes in a funny looking bottle--has anyone else heard of this. It's truly awful. Eek

"I've gotta be honest with you, guys. I need more cowbell."

Posts: 1106 | Location: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Oct 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mletson

Unicum is a liquor from Hungary. I agree it is terrible! Here is a tasting note and the other assorted info from the LCBO in Ontario Canada. "Long, lingering finish", alright!!!!!

UNICUM BITTERS
VINTAGES 364851 500 mL bottle $22.85

Spirits, Liqueur, Other Herb/Seed Liqueur
42.0% Alcohol/Vol.
Sugar Content : MS

Made in: Hungary - Other, Hungary
By: Zwack Unicum
Release Date: December 7, 2002

Description
Part of our popular Essentials portfolio, Unicum Bitters is available for a very short period of time in a beautiful gift tin.

Tasting Note
Our panel's tasting note: Deep amber brown colour with aromas of mandarin, anise, almond, tree bark and spice. Lovely and bittersweet on the palate. Round and intense with a long lingering finish. Enjoy as a digestif after a hearty meal or saturate a sugar cube with Unicum, drop it into a flute filled with sparkling wine. (Aug. 2002)

Posts: 4491 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bacardi 151
I drove into a big shrub and woke up the next morning picking twigs out of my hair...I don't remember the drive home post-shrub but obviously the sunroof was open Roll Eyes

"It was a time of such splendor--charming people, good food, laughter, and brave ideas."
Maya Angelou

Posts: 3003 | Location: napa valley | Registered: Oct 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, Cruzan makes a wide variety of rums, from cheap, to one that was awarded "best rum in the world". I gave the top one to my Bro-in-law and the bastard drank it all before I could visit for a taste. Wink

Posts: 219 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: Sep 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time I had tequila was 1982. Ensenada, Mexico.
I will never touch that stuff again.

Posts: 2396 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, baird6869. I can tell you that my tasting note was quite different!! I still wonder why my friend even had this filth in his home. The worst!

"I've gotta be honest with you, guys. I need more cowbell."

Posts: 1106 | Location: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Oct 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Te-kill-ya,

My throat closes up just looking at a bottle.

About 24 years ago my buddies from the shipyard where I was working fresh out of the Navy decided to get a couple bottles of Cuervo and play darts in his garage. On along the second bottle, we all had the tequila crazies and decided it would be more fun to chase each other around the yard and throw darts at each other. I woke up the next morning laying in the grass with the neighbors dog licking the blood off my back. Was not sure what hurt more; my back or my head. Gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it.

Enoselsa

"This wine is too good for toast-drinking, my dear. You don't want to mix emotions up with a wine like that. You lose the taste."
Ernest Hemmingway - The Sun Also Rises

Posts: 1655 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: Nov 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bigred_seeker,

Obviously the stuff I was poured was from the low end of the spectrum.
I do sympathize with you about the brother-in-law. Mine are both recovering alcoholics/teetotalers now, so now we have absolutely nothing in common. Makes for a lot of fun at family gatherings.

"In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women!" --Homer Simpson

Posts: 6791 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got to the club near 1am and my friend felt obligated to take me to the bar right away to make up for lost time.Don't remember how many tequila pops she ordered at once and after I experienced it backwards all of 10 mins later in the same spot at the bar, I can't stand the smell of it again. It was promptly at 1:20am and she solemnly commented we can now leave the club.

Everyone I know that had a bad experience with tequila stays away from it since. Maybe it applies to all alcohol Razz

Posts: 411 | Location: nyc | Registered: Jul 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With Vitis.

SCREWDRIVERS

After a gallon or ten, found myself crouched under a theater chair at a Pink Floyd concert, hiding from the light show. Spin-a-rama Eek Eek for daze.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://seattle.vinocellar.com

Posts: 2214 | Registered: Nov 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your two B-in-Laws putting the chill on your family gatherings. Probably keeps the fights down to a minimum, though. Wink Mine is really a prince, and treats my sister like a princess. We are fishing buddies, and I will always take a fine rum to him on my visits.

Posts: 219 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: Sep 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post