WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    OT: "Your one experience" Now, you can't even look at it.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT: "Your one experience" Now, you can't even look at it.
 Login/Join 
posted
What is your one booze (non wine), you can't even go near.

Meaning, almost everyone I know has that one drink, based on a fairly nasty experience, that they can't go near.

For me, it is no contest: SOUTHERN COMFORT.

I was about 16. Drank a whole bottle with a friend of mine. Blackout out, was sick for a week, parents had to get me, the works. I am 37 now. I literally still cannot stand the smell or the sight of anyone drinking it. It is my Kryptonite.

What is yours?

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Hunter.

Mine is also Southern Comfort and it is so bad that your e-mail almost caused me to barf. That's all I can ,,.....aflknafgagn

Ok - I gotta go get some towels.....

DBW

Posts: 1958 | Location: Maple Glen, PA | Registered: Aug 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lol. Sorry DB, I got a little queezy myself. I'm just facing my fears.

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Southern Comfort has done it to me too. But first and foremost, Firewater. My story is actually quite similar to yours Hunter.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Oct 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JIM BEAM Frown Frown Frown Frown Frown

Posts: 1121 | Location: Nashville / Nebraska | Registered: Feb 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack Daniels - can't even smell it.

Posts: 127 | Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really depends on the night and mood that I am in. For the most part I can drink Jager and alot of it, but at times the sight, sound, smell and anything else makes me cringe! Figure that out.

If I had to pick one that I just constantly stay away from I would say: wow- I'm picking my brain but can't think of any and I have had my share out blackout/pucking the lights out nights! JOse Cuervo is the main one that makes me puke (maily after a night with about 10 shots and beer), but how do you turn down a shot of tequila?

Tough question and unfortunately I have no answer!

I don't particularly like whiskey and bourbon but I still won't turn it down.

Kevin

"If you get confused just listen to the music play!"

Posts: 724 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Dec 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for me its Southern Comfort and vodka.

Posts: 1910 | Location: oakville, Ontario. | Registered: Jan 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wild Turkey. It seemed to turn me into an idiot back in college every time I touched it. Weird thing is, I have no issues with Jack Daniels, Knob Creek, etc.

Posts: 4491 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Southern Comfort for me as well. I can't even look at a bottle of it without getting nauseous. God forbid I should actually smell it...

Posts: 51 | Location: NY | Registered: Apr 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i can't get within 10 feet of a game of quarters without feeling queasy Big Grin

Posts: 1121 | Location: Nashville / Nebraska | Registered: Feb 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drank them on a hot summer night after playing golf. Went to throw up out the window of my friends car-missed and left a shrimp hanging on the door panel! He was not happy needless to say. Haven't had a martini since and that was in '86.

"...soon they'll be bleary eyed under a keg of wine, Down where the drunkards roll." Richard Thompson.

Posts: 504 | Location: New York New York | Registered: Mar 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10 Buck Kid

You win! Yuck, I used to like Bombay, but your lovely story might just turn me off it for good!

Eek

Posts: 4491 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
back in college, we took a road trip up to Truckee, and I made a big jug of screwdriver which I drank on the way up. When you sit in one position, you don't really feel much so you chugalug. When I got out, it all hit me at once, instant blackout, and I must have passed out in a friend's living room.

I came to the next day to find the girl I had gone up with getting cozy with someone who lived in that house.

I couldn't drink OJ for over a year.

-Vitis Vinifera

Member #19

Posts: 2000 | Location: Lodi, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nmcbain:
Jack Daniels - can't even smell it.

ditto.

Posts: 24 | Location: Suburban Chicago | Registered: Sep 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got two:

#1) Bacardi Dark Rum - was 16 and drank 1/3 of the bottle on empty stomach. Passed out throwing up all over the basement bathroom in my house. Parents found me covered in it. Sick for a week. Can't stand the stuff to this day, 15 years later.

#2) You said non-wine, so this probably qualifies Wink Blush wine served in a carafe at a convention banquet when I was 17. This 21 y/o woman and I were sneaking this while sitting at this table with our parents. Drank WAY too much. Was throwing up out the back window of my parents mercedes for the 1 hour trip home. My dad had to wash the car off when we arrived. To this day blush wine is the DEVIL.

RRV

So, brocolli, Mother says you're very good for me. Well, I'm afraid I'm no good for you!

Posts: 813 | Location: Carmel, IN | Registered: Aug 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yukon Jack

Had an experience similar to Hunter's when I was camping with some friends. Just the smell of any whiskey is enough to get the gag reflex going. Tequila is a close second - a bachelor party long ago - but I can somehow drink margaritas with no problem.

Posts: 3595 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last day of Freshman year. We went to a very dark park and tried to mix whiskey sours by guess, and of course put in too much bourbon. I woke up at noon the next day in a strange rooming house on a bare mattress. Still can't abide bourbon. EekTotal aversion therapy.

Posts: 219 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: Sep 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Creme d'Menthe

When I was about 16 my friend and I got into my friend's parents' liquor cabinet and filled up an empty bottle with a little bit of each of the clear liquors (gin, rum, vodka, vermouth, etc...). To top it off, we poured some creme d'menthe to cover the taste of this concoction, and then proceeded to drink it all over the course of the night mixed with Sprite.

I puked for about 2 days after that, and still cannot stand the sickly sweet minty smell.

Posts: 6469 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alabama Slammers
Same color coming up as they are going down.
'nuff said...(maybe too much)

The modest water, awed by power divine, beheld its God and blushed into wine. - John Dryden

Posts: 887 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Mar 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Southern Comfort and Malibu.

Posts: 412 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to college at UCSD which is a short drive from Tijuana. Too many Tequila nights followed by painful hangovers have taught me to despise this beverage....not that I don't still drink it Smile Some people never learn.

Posts: 477 | Location: San Diego | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was in on a cold winter night back in the college days...

Started with spiced wine before heading out to dinner with a friend at around 9:00pm.

Red Lobster was the dining destination where we had a few cocktails.

A small party after dinner lead to some beer consumption.

1:00am rolls around, and someone had the bright idea that I should go get the bottle of Goldschlager from my apartment and I complied.

Need less to say, after that I was not in a good shape, especially considering I have to leave at 5:00am to catch a flight to Taiwan... Roll Eyes

---------------------------
2003 Whirlwind Tour

Posts: 7003 | Location: HKG - TPE - TAO | Registered: Sep 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wild Turkey.

15 shots during my power hour at the BeachComber in Mission Beach, CA.

Then got awoken at 3pm the next day to 2 kegs being put on ice. Had to pound a few glasses of water, eat some grub and move on to black and tans.

Boy do I miss SD!!

Posts: 971 | Location: La Selva Beach,CA | Registered: Jan 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gin.

Halloween, 2001. Not a pretty sight. Partied my ass off. Gave my keys to my roommate. I passed out, woke up, went outside and passed out in the front yard up against a tree. Woke up again, and walked 5 miles at 3 in the morning back to my place in a drunken haze. We had just moved out earlier that day so the place was desserted, and I didn't have my keys... but damn if I was going to sleep outside like a bum, so I jimmied the window, crawled in and passed out like a log in the shower. Woke up 3 hours later with cold water beatin down on me. Smile

To this day, Gin is my enemy.

==================
AIM: Drunken Mariachi

Posts: 1510 | Location: Napa, Ca | Registered: Jun 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post