WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Buying older USA Cab
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying older USA Cab
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Edited, wrong thread too... Bang

dzitt

Posts: 803 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
Saw a 1979 Diamond Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Red Rock Terrace on Cellaraiders website for 85$. Can't find a way to estime the shipping cost to NY state though.

Does it seem to be a deal or a great oppotunity ? 79 is my birth year...

dzitt

That's not a bad price. You'll see these '79-85 (minus the '84) DC's pop up at auction in the $60 range. So, considering the premium, it brings it close to the price you posted.

I say go for it. Those older DC's are awesome wines.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I wrote earlier this summer, I was lucky enough to acquire a Dunn Howell Mountain '87 for my wife and my 25th anniversary...

We had the man himself Randy Dunn sign the bottle, whilst admiring the pristine condition of the bottle just prior to having it opened at the French Laundry the next day for a once in a lifetime experience...

My CellarTracker notes below from June 29:

The high-point of the evening, opening our 25th Anniversary wine at the French Laundry, we had our bottle signed by Randy Dunn at a visit to the vineyard the day before and Kristina Dunn informed us that the Sommelier team from the Restaurant had been by a few weeks before to try their wines and that they would be stoked to open the '87 for us, Sommelier Dennis Kelly confirmed their visit, and we all laughed at Randy Dunn's 'crusty' reputation, which I confirmed when Mr. Dunn asked me what the French Laundry would be charging us for corkage ($75), Dennis got a laugh out of this as well, truly memorable and the wine was close to perfection - Dark with only slight ambering rim, full bodied with a nose of dusty black and blue fruit, cigar box, green leaf tobacco, mocha and vanilla, AMAZING structure for a 25 year old Cali Cab, completely integrated, soft, silky smooth on the palate with a finish that went on forever, still years left in this beauty, extraordinary! (98 Points). (1332 views)

Good times..

- Ian

Posts: 174 | Location: Kitchener, Ontario Canada | Registered: Apr 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice TN Ian Smile

dzitt

Posts: 803 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is a 1988 Dunn Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley at 60$ a better purchase than the 1979 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace at 85$ ?

There is many Dunn on jjbuckley at really good price. Is this retailer better than Cellaraider ?

dzitt

posted Hide Post
quote:
Is a 1988 Dunn Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley at 60$ a better purchase than the 1979 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace at 85$ ?

There is many Dunn on jjbuckley at really good price. Is this retailer better than Cellaraider ?

dzitt

They're both good choices at an aggressive price point, but I would still side with the DC. I'm saying that, and Dunn is my favorite domestic producer.

The '88 Dunn Napa is indeed a nice wine, but it pales in comparison to the Howell Mountain of the same vintage. The HM can be had routinely at auction < $60 (plus the premium).

I've bought from both JJ Buckley & Cellraiders. They've never done me wrong.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the 2000 Dunn Cabernet Sauvignon (not the HM) a better buy than the 1988 Dunn ?

dzitt

posted Hide Post
No, I'd go with the '88.

posted Hide Post
Thanks

dzitt

posted Hide Post
Shane T killed it. Killed it!

I also agree about Spottswoode.

From your list, don't take any specific advice - try to get samples of all of them as you go and see which best matches your palate.

Taking one comment here and potentially missing a wine you would have loved would be the real bummer.

Out of 'historial interest,' try the Groth reserve, Caymus regular and SS, Silverado cabs of the day, and from that era you could maybe land on a Flora Springs Trilogy, Cain Five, Hess reserve, Far Niente, Mayacamus, or some Heitz; just to get a feel for how things were.

Heck....Johnson Turnbull from that time, Sequoia Grove, Berringer reserve, some of Rombauer's Le Meilleur du Chai, and Duckhorn may please you, as well!

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1273 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will try to have a more generic experience trying more than one wine. Still looking to buy online and ship it somewhere near the US border where I can grab it after...which is not always easy. Should have couple bottles to try at the beginning of 2013 Smile

dzitt

posted Hide Post
I know they have a checkered reputation, but Acker lists some older Cali cab lots at very attractive prices....and you could pop down and pick it up in person!

Grab one of their auction catalogs or hit the online listing!

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1273 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use to buy 80's bdx and 80's and 90's CA cabs at auction for experimentation and to share. These were from Winebid, Winecommune and some retailers. I think I had a 30% + experience of corked and flawed bottles. I don't buy older bottles any more.

"When I drink, I think; and when I think, I drink." Francois Rabelais

Posts: 3536 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanglenet:
I use to buy 80's bdx and 80's and 90's CA cabs at auction for experimentation and to share. These were from Winebid, Winecommune and some retailers. I think I had a 30% + experience of corked and flawed bottles. I don't buy older bottles any more.

That is very odd, but the wine/bottle was corked the very day the cork went into said bottle.

Posts: 29997 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally ordered some 'older' cali-cab:

1979 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace (my YOB)
1981 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill (my wife YOB)
1992 Grgich Hills Cabernet Sauvignon

Can't wait to open one !

posted Hide Post
quote:

Stellar

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:

Stellar

Hope so ! Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:

Can't wait to open one !

I received them today. All great fills and labels in pretty good shape. Will open the 79 first, will have the 81 this fall with my wife Wink

http://i262.photobucket.com/al...tite_zps137b91cf.jpg

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
I'm currently looking to buy cabernet-sauvignon based wines from California made in the 90s. I've seen these
Mondavi... '79 &'91 Reserve very nice

The '79 from a mag blew my skirt up!

Posts: 1570 | Location: London, ON | Registered: Nov 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as did the '75

Posts: 1559 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Can't wait to open one !

I received them today. All great fills and labels in pretty good shape. Will open the 79 first, will have the 81 this fall with my wife Wink

http://i262.photobucket.com/al...tite_zps137b91cf.jpg

Woot
Be sure to post some notes!

posted Hide Post
Montelena, Mondavi Reserve and Spottswoode, can't go wrong with any of these.

Posts: 1565 | Registered: Nov 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking to buy again some older Cali-Cab. Which one over these should I consider most ?

1992 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill
1993 Dunn Cabernet Sauvignon
1998 Dunn Cabernet Sauvignon
1999 Dunn Cabernet Sauvignon

posted Hide Post
Also saw a 1987 Dunn Cabernet Sauvignon for the same price as the 1992 Diamond Creek...

posted Hide Post
diamond creek > dunn in my opinion

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11635 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post